Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Moskalenko Budapest book - views? (Read 26252 times)
gipc
YaBB Newbies

just Chessplayer inside

Re: Moskalenko Budapest book - views?
Reply #23 - 08/17/09 at 13:42:26
Post Tools
A new book on the Budapest Gambit has just been issued
" The Budapest Gambit "by Timothy Taylor (Editor: Everyman chess)

Has someone already had a look to this book ?
and what is the difference with Moskalenko's book

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #22 - 05/10/09 at 15:08:28
Post Tools
Fernando Semprun wrote on 03/31/08 at 19:45:56:
I bought Moskalenko's book (as almost anything published) but honestly, when I look at black position in the critical 11.g3 line, I cannot really believe in 'compensation'

do you mean this line?
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 Ng4 4. Bf4 Nc6 5. Nf3 Bb4+ 6. Nc3 Bxc3+ 7. bxc3 Qe7 8. Qd5 f6 9. exf6 Nxf6 10. Qd3 d6 11. g3

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #21 - 03/31/08 at 19:45:56
Post Tools
I bought Moskalenko's book (as almost anything published) but honestly, when I look at black position in the critical 11.g3 line, I cannot really believe in 'compensation'

Perhaps I need to appreciate dynamic vs static a bit more, or perhaps it is indeed THE problem Wink

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #20 - 03/17/08 at 09:49:43
Post Tools
Thanks y'all who have taken the time to give your views, particularly Matemax there for a very considered review.

IP Logged

flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #19 - 03/17/08 at 08:42:29
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 01/19/08 at 09:25:05:
Just wondering - has anyone got a copy yet or had a proper look?

(No comments from anyone about 'avoid with Nf3',' is it sound?' or similar dirge thank you m'dears.)

Views?

Yeah, okay for club, but so is anything. Genuinely worthy material inside?

Any comments much appreciated. Distance to nearest shop stocking chess books in the thousands of miles for me, so have to reply on amazon and you folks.

Thanks in advance anyone,

Bibs

This book is reviewed at http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_jd/Fabulous_Budapest_Gambit.html

This book is available in Australia. I saw a copy in our chess club yesterday.

I would first check with Australian Chess Enterprises. They have a very good website. I buy most of my books from them and they post books within days.

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #18 - 02/15/08 at 18:13:26
Post Tools
Finally I bought it too  Wink

Reading throught the pages the last two days I got a very positive impression. You can feel Moskalenkos attidute to chess and to the Budapest Gambit - there is no final conclusion, no solution, no panacea - there are just ideas, thoughts, possibilities, riddles and lots of "fabulous" stuff. Its a book to work with, to have a very well analysed starting point. It highlights all the strategical and tactical ways within classic and modern games. I was mostly impressed seeing a game of Moskalenko dated 2007 were he came up with 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.de5 Ng4 4.Bf4 g5!? and won. I just had a look at chesslive.de on recent games in this line and its really fighting chess. There are very few draws (I looked at the games 2007 and 2008) and probably more black wins than white ones. I like this book much more than those encyclopaedic works which are outdatet the very next day.

Recommended to all chess workers and chess philosophers - not recommend for the pure chess consumers.

Nothing comes from nothing but something from hard work  Wink

IP Logged

walnoten
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 02/04/08 at 11:26:45
Post Tools
I bought and thoroughly enjoyed The Fabulous Budapest.

He gives an interesting line for the declined, - a benko-volga!

I know that the Fajarowicz is not the best for black from a statistical point of view but it has great surprise value and is fun to play in club games.

IP Logged

dsanchez

24.Nh1!?N

Reply #16 - 02/03/08 at 03:13:42
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 02/01/08 at 03:08:21:
Seriously, if I already have a good idea of the basic ideas in the Budapest and I have a good database, how exactly would Moskalenko's book help me as White against the Budapest?

It probably will not help you -- use your $ elsewhere.  Besides, White probably doesn't need any help against the Budapest.  I noticed Moskalenko himself avoided the BG against Akopian in Rd 1of the Moscow Open.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #15 - 02/01/08 at 03:08:21
Post Tools
Thanks all for your reviews of Moskalenko's book.   Smiley

I have Tseitlin's book and wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless I absolutely had to beat them and knew they would blindly follow the analysis of the book!  (Okay, I'd feel guilty then and so wouldn't even recommend it to an enemy.)

Moskalenko's book seems to be not much better.

Seriously, if I already have a good idea of the basic ideas in the Budapest and I have a good database, how exactly would Moskalenko's book help me as White against the Budapest?

IP Logged

tont
YaBB Newbies

BELCH GIVES HIS PUNS OIL!

Reply #14 - 01/30/08 at 14:16:06
Post Tools
I got the book to see if it provided any insights to the Faj
I was not disappointed.

I bought Gutmans Faj book 2 years ago and could never get my head around the concepts. (Not that they were really explained). 
However this book certainly makes the Faj a lot more accessible. I would recommend it as a starting point for Faj players backed up by Gutmans encyclopaedia as reference for the lines that appeal.

Glad I bought it.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 01/29/08 at 01:56:23
Post Tools
Hello All:

Just got the book - 230+ pages. Just had a glance at it  but I must say I am disappointed; no index of variations.

Chapters have titles like Milky Way and Knight Poker. A lot of scanning necessary to find out that the Milky Way is 4.a3 in the Faro... Variation. Very annoying.

Take care,

Gerry

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #12 - 01/24/08 at 18:04:14
Post Tools
dsanchez wrote on 01/19/08 at 20:19:42:
kylemeister wrote on 01/19/08 at 19:54:40:
I've long had the impression that 3. d5 is common below some rating level, but it always appeared to me that the theoretical issue is whether White can equalize.

If there were some qualification for having an opinion, I wouldn't be allowed to have one.  But since there isn't  Wink, I kind of feel like 3.d5 is not the most testing move, and it probably gives up any advantage White might have out of this opening, but is it possible that he is now fighting for equality?  If Black plays normal moves, it looks like we could end up in a normal-looking KID or Benoni type of position.  I've been toying with the idea of 3...c6 to mix things up a bit.  Moskalenko recommends the Benko-ish 3...b5.

No.  A normal move would be 3...Bc5.  It seems clear then that equality is the best that White can hope for.

Also I don't agree with Mosalenko that the Budapest is a very good surprise weapon. Versus the Fajarowicz all White has to do is go 4.a3 and play chess. Versus 3...Ng5, he plays 4.e3 Nxe5 5.Nh3 and once again just plays chess.
« Last Edit: 01/25/08 at 01:18:28 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #11 - 01/22/08 at 02:04:59
Post Tools
I purchased the book.

I believe the author presented an honest, well researched, well formatted tome.

I also believe it does nothing to dispell the notion that the Budapest is a lessor defensive choice, but at least it does so in an unpretentious and somewhat historically entertaining fashion.

Your results may be more, or less!

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

dsanchez

24.Nh1!?N

Reply #10 - 01/20/08 at 05:25:00
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 01/19/08 at 20:45:23:
Another question according to Moskalenkos book just come to mind:
Does Moskalenko think the Budapest is a drawing weapon or a winning attempt with Black?

Hard to say where Moskalenko falls exactly.  At times he seems enthusiastic about Black's chances, at other times he is more reserved.  I don't think he's prepared to contend that the BG should supplant the Slav in someone's repertoire, but I think he genuinely believes there is room for creativity and reasonable chances on a sometime basis.  I haven't come across the phrase "drawing weapon" in relation to the BG -- I kind of get the impression that he thinks it's either going to be 1-0 or 0-1.

In the Introduction he writes:  "Like many other players, I had been quite sceptical about the Budapest Gambit.  But as I went on, I realized that my initial suspicions were just not justified.  What's more, this gambit can surprise any player who is not sufficiently prepared, even at the highest level."

He notes that BG players likely belong to one of four categories:
A) youthful love of romatic chess
B) the surprise factor
c) the avoidance of theory
D) love of risks

Nothing about a solid opening offering definite chances when the tournament is on the line.

He includes some Megabase statistics that show big advantages for White in some lines.  But he seems to offer playable alternatives for Black.  He also notes that White's rating tends to be higher than Black's. 

Unfortunately, White has a number of systems to choose from, so Black may never be able to count on a clear path to equality.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #9 - 01/19/08 at 20:45:23
Post Tools
Quote:
I kind of feel like 3.d5 is not the most testing move, and it probably gives up any advantage White might have out of this opening

3.d5 is certainly a normal opening move - trying to avoid any troubles and trying to build up a massive center (e4,d5,c4). I think the most logical reaction is to play Bc5 followed by d6 to play a kind of Kings Indian but with the dark squared bishop outside the pawn chain (moreover there is the immediate possibility for White to go wrong by playing Bg5 without Nf3 - losing to Bf2 and Ng4). But probably white players will know their stuff in this variation. I also like your 3...c6 - perhaps it could also be played after Bc5? One more move I think is 3...g6 with the idea of the Kings Indian, where white may have comitted himself a bit early to d5. Moskalenkos 3...b5 is a tough nut for an amateur I think - you could easily end up in a position with a pawn down and not much compensation. Also you have to know Benko Gambit ideas in this line - which is the same as knowing King Indians ideas.

All the times I played the Budapest (mostly on ICC these days - OTB I think its too difficult to get winning chances with it) white always played 3.de5. I think if a white player goes for d4/c4 on his first two moves he is ready to meet the gambit lines (Budapest, Albin, Chigorin) and he thinks he has more aces in his hands than black.

Another question according to Moskalenkos book just come to mind:
Does Moskalenko think the Budapest is a drawing weapon or a winning attempt with Black?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo