Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Master vs. Amateur (Read 1551 times)
Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Re: Master vs. Amateur
Reply #1 - 01/19/08 at 17:49:38
Post Tools
Perhaps. But surely the objective of Chesspub is to present opening developments rather than to demonstrate "thematic plans" or "misguided moves". We have plenty of books to help with the latter.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

dsanchez

24.Nh1!?N

Master vs. Amateur
01/19/08 at 17:36:51
Post Tools
Long ago, Max Euwe realized the value of studying games between players of widely differing strengths.  For players of a certain level, these games are more instructive than studying games between two 2700+ players.  Thematic plans are more clearly demonstrated.  Misguided moves are punished instructively. 

Mikhalevski opens this month's update with the almost apologetic remark: "Usually I deal with GM games, but this time I decided to make an exception as the line that occurred in the game Pelletier,Y-Mueller,Le, Weinhachtsopen 2007, is interesting."  I would encourage him (and other contributors) to do this more often if he finds something interesting or instructive in games between masters and amateurs.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo