Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Evans Gambit ; "compromised" defence (Read 3835 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Evans Gambit ; "compromised" defence
Reply #3 - 02/13/08 at 22:07:22
Post Tools
I suggest the regular plan 11...0-0 12.Rad1 Bb6 13.Bd3 Qh5 14.Ne4.
I am more worried about 11...Bb6 immediately, idea 12.Rad1 Na5. Considering White's enormous lead in development I would not be surprised if this can be refuted either.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 02/12/08 at 17:59:24
Post Tools
photophore wrote on 02/12/08 at 16:30:14:
I the Evans Gambit , the "compromised" defence
1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bc4 Bc5 4 b4 Bxb4 5 c3 Ba5 6 d4 exd4 7 O-O dxc3
Has a very bad repute , and yet , after 8 Qb3 Qb6 9 e5 Qg6 10 Nxc3 Nge7
11 Ba3 O-O 12 Rad1 , the usual moves  , the rare 12...Bb6 causes to White some difficulties , and it's not easy for White to get an acvantage
However White has a big lead in development that must compensate the pawns
Hence 2 questions :
1) How to get an advantage with White?
2) If indeed this move is a clear improvement , Why is it not played more often?

I analysed this defense at length in Hard Chess. Search on that or go directly to Franklin Campbell's website.  I am not sure if I answered your question, but if this defense interests you, I think you will find the info useful.

I concluded though, rightly or wrongly, that there is no way to salvage this defense.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #1 - 02/12/08 at 17:26:25
Post Tools
Quote:
How to get an advantage with White?

When I look at the position after 12...Bb6 the first thing I wonder is, how Black is developing his bishop on c8? The second thing is Blacks somehow misplaced Queen, which may be attacked soon. The third one is the strange position of the knights and the x-ray of the bishop on a3.

Concrete Variations? What to move? - Further improve position and bring up attacking potential (rooks), hinder blacks development and harmony. Dont allow exchanges, except the lead to furher advantage. It may be to harsh to say, but Black could shortly come into zugzwang.

I think white has a lot of plusses in this position and black has just two pawns - I would take white, for sure!

IP Logged

photophore

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Evans Gambit ; "compromised" defence
02/12/08 at 16:30:14
Post Tools
I the Evans Gambit , the "compromised" defence
1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bc4 Bc5 4 b4 Bxb4 5 c3 Ba5 6 d4 exd4 7 O-O dxc3
Has a very bad repute , and yet , after 8 Qb3 Qb6 9 e5 Qg6 10 Nxc3 Nge7
11 Ba3 O-O 12 Rad1 , the usual moves  , the rare 12...Bb6 causes to White some difficulties , and it's not easy for White to get an acvantage
However White has a big lead in development that must compensate the pawns
Hence 2 questions :
1) How to get an advantage with White?
2) If indeed this move is a clear improvement , Why is it not played more often?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo