Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Albin Counter Gambit help (Read 3342 times)
Chess_Addict

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Albin Counter Gambit help
Reply #3 - 02/22/08 at 09:39:20
Post Tools
drkodos wrote on 02/18/08 at 13:36:37:
Seems as if the piece was working on the idea that many 1.d4 players live in fear of the Albin.

I'm not sure why, though.

I my self am quite "afraid" of the Albin. Not for theoretical reasons but rather for practical ones: black players play this "thing" about once every 3 black-games I guess, while white players maybe once in a few years. Therefore:
1) if somebody knows the theory it is likely for this guy to be sitting behing the black pieces
2) (and most important) very peculiar positions arise which are typical of this gambit. Here experience is extremely important and of course the black player should be more experienced.

I am around 2200 fide and my last albin as white was against a much lower rated guy. I remember spending tons of time in the opening watching out for tactics (I must admit I knew very little theory though) and then ended in a crazy middlegame with a never-met-before pawn structure and pieces display with very little time. That was a terrible day...  Cry

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 02/18/08 at 22:13:47
Post Tools
I find the article quite superficial. The only useful game is the Van der Wiel one, which I already knew. This game also shows how to handle the Albin's. Play Nbd2, g3, Bg2, a3 (or b4 first), b4, castle and begin play against either pawn d4 (with Bb2 and Nb3) or a queenside attack.
The idea is not so much to win due to the extra pawn, but by active play, using the e5-pawn as a bonus.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #1 - 02/18/08 at 13:36:37
Post Tools
Seems as if the piece was working on the idea that many 1.d4 players live in fear of the Albin.

I'm not sure why, though.

McGruff says: Play 4.a3 and then 5.e3 to help take a bite out of crime.  

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

snakebite

I Love ChessPublishing!

Albin Counter Gambit help
02/18/08 at 10:02:44
Post Tools
http://altrinchamchess.blogspot.com/2007_05_01_archive.html
Scroll down a few lines and you'll find a very thorough article on the Albin counter gambit....although I don't really know which side the author is advocating.  Shame about the diagrams but I feel it was very useful.  Any other comments???

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo