Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Worrall/Marshall question (Read 1795 times)
Anonymous
Ex Member

Re: Worrall/Marshall question
Reply #3 - 02/26/08 at 03:19:23
Post Tools
Black is thought to be able to get good compensation if white accepts the pawn sacrifice in one of the main lines of the Worrell Attack. It is not worse for white but it won't give him any advantage agaisnt correct play by black. Sverre Johnsen and Leif Johannessen don't think that white can get any advantage if he accepts the pawn sacrifice because they show how black can get good compensation for the pawn in their book The Ruy Lopez: A Guide for Black. Also, Andrew Greet's does not recommend accepting the pawn sacrifce in his book Play the Ruy Lopez which means that he doesn't think accepting the pawn sacrifice gives white an advantage. Playing d3 gives white a better chance for the advatage in this line. The whole idea in these types of positions is to build up an attack slowly.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/21/08 at 13:43:56
Post Tools
It's widely considered very dangerous for White. Andrew Greet says in his book that he tried to make it work but couldn't. Not that I have any idea myself in terms of, like, you know, moves.

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #1 - 02/21/08 at 12:17:27
Post Tools
You may find some thoughts of interest at Sverre's Chess Corner (http://sverreschesscorner.blogspot.com/) but unfortunately no analysis of 8...d5 9.exd5.

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

bob000

I Love ChessPublishing!

Worrall/Marshall question
02/21/08 at 06:50:43
Post Tools
How sound it grabbing the pawn in the Worrall version of the Marshall. I'm considering picking this opening up since the ...d6 lines give white what I believe to be better piece placement than Re1 h3 analog but responding to d5 with d3 seems rather timid.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo