Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hats off to Marin's A Spanish Repertoire for black (Read 30085 times)
GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Re: Hats off to Marin's A Spanish Repertoire for black
Reply #25 - 04/03/08 at 12:07:36
Post Tools
The Marin book on the Spanish Game is available in Australia but only the 1st ed.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #24 - 04/02/08 at 02:05:53
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/29/08 at 21:52:13:
saubhikr wrote on 02/29/08 at 04:40:00:
I just completed the chapter on Rubenstein from the "A Spanish Repertoire for black" by Mihail Marin. What an experience it is !! I do not recall any opening book written so deeply and with such an insight! I am amazed by his efforts ! Hats off Marin !!

Does anybody recall anything similar to this on openings ?

Souvik
Milwaukee

Thomas Johansson's The Fascinating King's Gambit. This is mandatory for those want to play or meet the King's Bishop Gambit.

The Marin book has not yet arrived in Australia. However I like every one of his books that I have seen. I especially like his book on defence
"Secrets of Chess Defence" .

Thomas Johanssons two books on the King's Gambit are both very good.

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #23 - 04/01/08 at 21:32:32
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 04/01/08 at 21:08:54:
What is the url?

The quality chess website has been down for days and still appears to be down.

It is working now:
http://www.qualitychessbooks.com/default.aspx

Have to say, this update is much appreciated.  It's good to see that Marin is practicing what he preaches, even though many of his opponents are reading his book.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #22 - 04/01/08 at 21:08:54
Post Tools
What is the url?

The quality chess website has been down for days and still appears to be down.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #21 - 04/01/08 at 20:48:28
Post Tools
A pdf update is available on the site now.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #20 - 03/04/08 at 12:30:20
Post Tools
I agree: start with the Rubinstein, which is fairly straightforward and principled.  I've tried Marin's Petrosian repertoire in correspondence games, and I think it's fine, but it definitely serves as a complement to the Rubinstein...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

MarinFan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 03/04/08 at 08:45:28
Post Tools
Hello,

Think the first thing is that black should be comfortable in playing the blocked positions after d5. In the rubinstein, after f6 and g6, black plays knights to g7, and f7, which was thought to neutralise d5, followed by kingside attack for many years. In the Petrosian line, black ends up with Nb6, which does not help in defence of king in any direct way. If black does not know the method of defence shown in a Kasparov v Petrosian game, also analysed in Crouch's How to Defend book, black could easily be rolled over. So this line looks like a harder one to master than the Rubinstein to me.

Bye John S

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #18 - 03/02/08 at 17:08:11
Post Tools
What's your opinion about the Petrosian variation (12...Bd7) which is also covred in the Marin's book ?

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #17 - 03/02/08 at 07:07:21
Post Tools
Quote:
I don't like the Zaitsev either.  For me, it goes too far in the opposite direction.  Black gets lots of play, but his king position is shaky and the defense often rests on a hairline.  Play is very sharp and there seems to be a lot of theory to learn.  For my 1..e5 defense, I want something a bit more simple and easy to understand.

The sharpest and most interesting lines tend to generate the most theory. But if you prefer a quieter Zaitsev system where Black simply develops, why not meet 12.a4 with 12...Qd7 rather than 12...exd4? It's played quite frequently by Nikolic and Goldin and has been tested by Ruy Lopez experts like Karpov, Spassky, Gligoric and Zaitsev (and more recently by Zhang Zhong). The fact that it isn't and never has been fashionable may be considered an advantage rather than a problem and Black scores his normal 46%. The line is covered in "The Ruy Lopez: A Guide for Black" in line 5C.

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #16 - 03/02/08 at 05:20:41
Post Tools
There's nothing wrong with it.  It's a question of style. 

The Rubinstein is too defensive for my tastes.  You're basically playing to neutralize White's aggression.  I don't like to play this way.  I like to have an active plan of my own to pursue.  But some players don't mind.  Either they're satisfied with a draw or they hope that White will burn his bridges and they'll get a chance to win in an ending. 

I don't like the Zaitsev either.  For me, it goes too far in the opposite direction.  Black gets lots of play, but his king position is shaky and the defense often rests on a hairline.  Play is very sharp and there seems to be a lot of theory to learn.  For my 1..e5 defense, I want something a bit more simple and easy to understand.

For something more in the middle, I'd recommend the Chigorin lines after 11...Qc7 12.Nbd2 cxd4 13.cxd4, and choosing between (i) 13..Bd7,  (ii) 13..Rd8 and (iii) 13..Nc6.  Of these, 13..Rd8 with the idea of ..d5, tends to be the sharpest, while 13..Bd7 and 13..Nc6 are more solid.

But again, it's a matter of taste, and to each his own.

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Reply #15 - 03/02/08 at 05:10:24
Post Tools
Quote:
What's wrong with Rubenstein ? Is it bad or not played in higher levels now ? In fact I did a poll recently in Chess Pub and max vote was received by Rubenstein.

I am investing big time in this variation. Please let me know if I should focus on Zaitsev instead !

You will do fine with the Rubinstein so long as you are comfortable with the resulting positions. Any opening is viable at the non-pro level. Sure you will have those that will say a certain opening is unsound because theory states this or that......the bottom line is chess is a game played by human beings and if you know the positions better than your opponent you are half way home......remember to ere is human.......

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #14 - 03/01/08 at 13:57:44
Post Tools
Quote:
Terrific discussion, but who wants to play the Rubinstein?

What's wrong with Rubenstein ? Is it bad or not played in higher levels now ? In fact I did a poll recently in Chess Pub and max vote was received by Rubenstein.

I am investing big time in this variation. Please let me know if I should focus on Zaitsev instead !

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #13 - 02/29/08 at 21:52:13
Post Tools
saubhikr wrote on 02/29/08 at 04:40:00:
I just completed the chapter on Rubenstein from the "A Spanish Repertoire for black" by Mihail Marin. What an experience it is !! I do not recall any opening book written so deeply and with such an insight! I am amazed by his efforts ! Hats off Marin !!

Does anybody recall anything similar to this on openings ?

Souvik
Milwaukee

Thomas Johansson's The Fascinating King's Gambit. This is mandatory for those want to play or meet the King's Bishop Gambit.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

John Hall
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 02/29/08 at 20:41:13
Post Tools
RotGut wrote on 02/29/08 at 15:58:19:
Quote:
Ruy Lopez a Guide for Black - Sverre J. & Leif J. a book that is equal in style, quality and research to Rowson Understanding the Grunfeld and was mysteriously less talked on the forum. A main line book!

A very nice work indeed but no  talk at all.......simply put everyone is studying the lines and they don't want to broadcast it  Cheesy

I also agree that this book is very underrated. I like it quite a bit. I really like the treatment of the Ruy Lopez exchange lines (although admitedly, thats not the reason to get this book!). I have played the recommended lines twice in corr. and had excellent results- getting easy equality/slight edge for black both times.

I suspect that the Zaitsev overall is quite an underrated weapon too.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #11 - 02/29/08 at 20:27:48
Post Tools
RotGut wrote on 02/29/08 at 18:44:57:
That pesky knight on a5 has a way about him.....such a downer for the black player........still the Chiggy is ok. The Zaitsev and its reams of theory sometimes make that knight on a5 look great  Wink

Oh, I don't mind a Knight on a5.  I regularly play the Chigorin as Black.  It's the idea of redeploying the Knight to d8 to which I object.  Knights on d8 and e8?  I feel like I'm rolling up into a ball and just waiting to get run over.  No thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo