Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Classical Sicilian (Read 5859 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Classical Sicilian
Reply #6 - 10/13/08 at 19:31:26
Post Tools
I also play the Classical and to me Bb5(+) is THE Anti-Sicilian. It seems that on most levels the "hybrid" line 2...Nc6 3.Bb5 d6 and 2...Nc6 3.Bb5 e6 give Black the most winning chances statistically. So naturally I have chosen the 2...Nc6 move order in order to have both potentially available (I play the Sicilian for winning chances, after all!).

3...d6 gives White a choice of sharp lines that require some memorization from Black (i.e. 4.Bxc6 bxc6 5.0-0 e5 6.c3 f5!? and 4.0-0 Bd7 5.c3 Nf6 6.Re1 a6 7.Bxc6?! Bxc6 8.d4), and the positional main lines with Ba4 or Bf1, where Black scores OK but to me the White position often feels easier to play; he just puts his pieces where he wants them and finally pushes d3-d4. I play 3...d6 now, but wins in tournament games are few and far between.

3...e6 is played by such enterprising GMs as Shirov, Carlsen, Shabalov, Krasenkow etc, but I've long enjoyed White's position after 4.Bxc6 bxc6 5.d3, and I struggle to convince myself to take Black there. Probably I will switch to this eventually.

If all else fails, there is always the ultimate bust to 3.Bb5: Learn a 2...e6-compatible Sicilian!  Wink

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #5 - 10/12/08 at 10:25:33
Post Tools
Quote:
The only difference in playing ... d6 or ... Nc6 is the Bb5 variation,
I play the classical sicilian too, I play ... d6 first (as recommended), but I think after Bb5+ the game gets quite dull,
unlike in the Nc6 Bb5 variation.
I think if black aims for the win he should play Nc6 first,
shouldn't he?

As kylemesiter hinted, one way round this "dullness" is to meet 2...Nc6 3.Bb5 with 3...d6, and 2...d6 3.Bb5+ with 3...Nc6, in each case getting the same variation and one in which White's common plan of capturing on c6 is less relevant, hopefully frustrating the Rosslimo player

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 10/11/08 at 16:05:29
Post Tools
In fact 2...Nc6 also can lead to the Dragon and Scheveningen: 5...d6 6.Be2/6.g3 g6/e6.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Takeback_2
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 10/11/08 at 02:00:09
Post Tools
The other consideration is if you at some point want a second Sicilian in your repertoire.

2...Nc6 can lead to Taimanov, Acc. Dragon, Sveshnikov, Kalashnikov, 4...Qb6, 4 Knights, etc.

2...d6 can lead to Najdorf, Dragon, Scheveningen.

So if at some point you decide to add one of those, you'll want to play the Classical move that allows those variations.

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/03/08 at 19:44:31
Post Tools
The only difference in playing ... d6 or ... Nc6 is the Bb5 variation,
I play the classical sicilian too, I play ... d6 first (as recommended), but I think after Bb5+ the game gets quite dull,
unlike in the Nc6 Bb5 variation.
I think if black aims for the win he should play Nc6 first,
shouldn't he?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/28/08 at 15:04:01
Post Tools
Well, one allows the Rossolimo while the other allows the Moscow (although those can come to the same thing if Black so chooses); one allows a transposition to a pure c3 Sicilian while the other allows the system 2...d6 3. c3 Nf6 4. Be2/Bd3/h3; 2...d6 allows the 4. Qxd4 variation and limits Black's choices somewhat versus the KIA.  2...d6 allows 3. Bc4 (which is pointless against 2...Nc6).  Having said that, when I played the Classical I usually used the 2...d6 order, basically because I considered the Moscow more harmless than the Rossolimo.

IP Logged

Sandman

Classical Sicilian
03/28/08 at 14:24:16
Post Tools
When playing the Sicilian I aim for the classical variation and I have a move order question.  Is it preferable to play 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 Nc6 or 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6?  What are the advantages/disadvantages? Does one move order avoid more "anti-sicilians" than the other?

Thanks

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
That's how far the world is from where I am.
Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo