Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Easiest Sicilian (Read 78788 times)
IMRichardPalliser

Re: The Easiest Sicilian
Reply #124 - 07/21/08 at 19:06:28
Post Tools
I must admit that I wondered if this game might all have been prep...
Afraid I didn't credit Kolev in my annotations for ChessPub, as I guess I should have done, due to still not having got around to purchasing a copy of the Easiest! Must try to pick one up soon...

IP Logged

Kolev
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #123 - 07/21/08 at 08:25:12
Post Tools
The game Movsesian - Papadopoulos, 2008 just followed a line given in the "Easiest Sicilian"(page 58) and I am glad the young Greek player made use of my analysis.Movsesian( being a great player) just sensed that in the final position only Black has some winning chances , so wisely proposed a draw.I hope more chessplayers benefit from our effort.

IP Logged

Zarvox

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #122 - 07/14/08 at 18:36:04
Post Tools
Indeed, it was a helpful review TonyRo. It's a little scary to consider Sveshnikov Reloaded "no longer recent" since even though the Sveshnikov is ultra-theoretical, it's hard to think that a beautifully researched, detailed book from 2005 would already be outdated.

Meanwhile, I'm reading John Cox's Starting Out: Sicilian Sveshnikov, which is a wonderful introduction to the opening. I'll follow up with some combination of study in "Reloaded" and "Easiest".

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #121 - 07/06/08 at 04:08:24
Post Tools
I didn't think anyone would actually read my review, but now I've got at least one! Phew.....  Grin

IP Logged

Zarvox

Reply #120 - 07/06/08 at 03:16:54
Post Tools
There's a very positive review at http://jeremysilman.com/chess_gst_wrtrs/The_Easiest_Sicilian.html

I used to play the Sveshnikov, about 10 years ago, and have been considering taking it up again, which will require shaking off a lot of rust and becoming up-to-date.

I got a copy of The Sveshnikov Reloaded shortly before hearing about The Easiest Sicilian but haven't had time to read most of it yet. Both Reloaded and Easiest Sicilian seem to be fantastic books. Obviously the latter has the advantage of being completely up-to-date, but can anyone compare the two books otherwise? Would it be worthwhile to study both in combination, or more efficient to just use the newer book?

IP Logged

MilenPetrov

Winnie the Pooh Rules
:)

Reply #119 - 05/25/08 at 20:57:52
Post Tools
This is about the move 20 f3: 20.f3 Qd7!? 21.Kh1 f4! 22.Nc2 Bd8 23.Rfa1 g5 24b4 g4 with counterplay.
Regards

IP Logged

IM Andrew Greet

Reply #118 - 05/25/08 at 20:46:35
Post Tools
Thanks for the info A-Tong.

Interesting suggestion, 21...Qg7 - I guess it makes reasonable sense to put the queen on the kingside if Black is looking to attack there. It looks very unclear indeed, and having played through the sample continuation it is clear that there could be any number of possible deviations/improvements for both sides. Will be interesting to see what happens if and when this gets gets tested at high level.

Having dipped back into Anand 10, I see Khalifman also mentions another option of 20.f3, citing the game Aginian-Kucypera and offering a later improvement for White. Can I ask what Kolev gives here? I see a couple of other games have reached the same position with Black trying 20...Rb7 and 20...Bxe3+, both of which seem quite sensible as well.

Overall this variation seems to be a critical battleground for the Sveshnikov; so much tension in the position, and still plenty of room for creativity with so few games having been played.

IP Logged

A-Tong
YaBB Newbies

Hell is not punishment,
it's training

Reply #117 - 05/25/08 at 16:43:01
Post Tools
IM Andrew Greet wrote on 05/25/08 at 15:08:08:
If anyone has both 'Easiest Sicilian' and 'Anand 10' I would be curious to know at precisely what point the two sets of analysis diverge.

Khalifman:

1.e4 c5 2.Sf3 Sc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Sxd4 Sf6 5.Sc3 e5 6.Sdb5 d6 7.Lg5 a6 8.Sa3 b5 9.Sd5 Le7 10.Lxf6 Lxf6 11.c3 0-0 12.Sc2 Lg5 13.a4 bxa4 14.Txa4 a5 15.Lc4 Tb8 16.b3 Kh8 17.Sce3 g6 18.0-0 f5 19.Dd3 Le6 20.Td1 Dd7 21.f3 Da7 22.Kh1 Lxe3 23.Sxe3 Lxc4 24.Txc4 with a slight advantage

Kolev:

21...Dg7! an now the strongest (22.exf5 and 22.Sf1 are also on page 104)
22.Kh1 Ld7 23.Ta2 f4 24.Sc2 Ld8 25.Sa3 g5 26.Sb5 Dh6 "We think that such a position, with a clear-cut attack against the enemy king, should appeal to any Sveshnikov fan. Play might continue with:" 27.Sdc7 Tf6 28.Tad2 g4 unclear

hic fuit

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #116 - 05/25/08 at 15:35:30
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 05/23/08 at 12:12:46:
Surprised to hear trw say he's heard bad remarks about Belyavsky/Mikhailchishin's endgame books, I thought these were pretty good. If anyone has all three and wants to part with the one I haven't got and can never find, message me!

There was such a "bad remark" in one of Aagaard's books, hinting that the most recent "Modern Endgame Practice" had too many analytical errors. But I don't mind, I only have the first two and find lots of interesting material there.

I deduce that "Winning Endgame Technique" is the one you're missing, since the other two are listed on the London Chess Centre discount pages for £5 and £7,50 (good books don't sell, apparently!) But according to www.bookfinder.com you can still get W.E.T. used in good condition for below £20. Could be an option if nobody here on chesspub is willing to part with it.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

IM Andrew Greet

Reply #115 - 05/25/08 at 15:22:41
Post Tools
Semko wrote on 05/23/08 at 15:50:08:
Khalifman is writing now the Dragon. The plans are for 12 books altogether in the series.

Semko, I love these books, but I have to ask whether this is realistic? If the next book is on the Dragon (presumably together with the Accelerated?) that would leave the Najdorf, Scheveningen and Classical all to be covered in a single volume! What's it going to be - 1,000 pages?  Grin (well, maybe you guys are superstitious and don't wish to publish no. 13...)

Looking back, it's rather amusing that on the back cover of the first two volumes there is a projected total of just four books! Not that I'm complaining; overall both the Anand and Kramnik series' are fabulous.

IP Logged

IM Andrew Greet

Reply #114 - 05/25/08 at 15:08:08
Post Tools
If anyone has both 'Easiest Sicilian' and 'Anand 10' I would be curious to know at precisely what point the two sets of analysis diverge. Presumably the 'last word' must have come from Kolev, who would have had access to Khalifman's book while writing his own. Is there some earth-shattering new idea, or perhaps just differing evaluations of a certain critical position?
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

MilenPetrov

Winnie the Pooh Rules

Reply #113 - 05/23/08 at 15:52:47
Post Tools
OK, thanks a lot. Are there any plans for classical and Rauzer ?
Thanks in advance
Regards

IP Logged

Semko

Reply #112 - 05/23/08 at 15:50:08
Post Tools
Khalifman is writing now the Dragon. The plans are for 12 books altogether in the series.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #111 - 05/23/08 at 12:12:46
Post Tools
Surprised to hear trw say he's heard bad remarks about Belyavsky/Mikhailchishin's endgame books, I thought these were pretty good. If anyone has all three and wants to part with the one I haven't got and can never find, message me!

IP Logged

MilenPetrov

Winnie the Pooh Rules

Reply #110 - 05/23/08 at 09:59:40
Post Tools
I am sorry, but I do not defend any side. You are right that is someone does not work on the rpoject you have full right to remove him.
Anyway, I bought the book and I think it is very good. There are some not mentioned possibilities for both sides or some unexplained ideas and moves, but of course it is not possible to cover everything on about 250 pages. So my overal assessment of the book is 9 out of 10  Smiley.
At the same time I want to ask Semko what are the plans for future Khalifman's book "Openings according to Anand". What is expected to be included in the next volumes and how many of them there will be.
Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo