Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Easiest Sicilian (Read 78633 times)
Holbox

Saigón Café

Re: The Easiest Sicilian
Reply #64 - 04/29/08 at 11:05:20
Post Tools
by looking at this piece of information i can see how far I am from this giants of chess...

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

Chevalier

Reply #63 - 04/29/08 at 07:30:07
Post Tools
I have also downloaded these pgn.files of GM Spasov's. Interestingly, if these 5 files are merged into the one database, and then all the games are selected, followed by the command "Print Selection", then it would take 47 pages to print out all the information in these files, excluding diagrams.

The annotations are mainly Informator-style, with very little prose. This has the disadvantage that players at the lower-rated end of the market may find the material too advanced, but the advantage of much more detailed analyse more than compensates for this.

The only reason I can find for Kolev's controversial decision to exclude Spasov from recognition of his co-authorship in the book is the complete lack of games from 2007 in his game selection, but in my opinion this is not a serious issue, given that Sveshnikov theory has not changed tremendously in the past year.

A very bizarre decision by Kolev indeed...

Nothing has meaning or value other than the meaning and value that you give it.

IP Logged

Legion XIX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #62 - 04/29/08 at 07:12:05
Post Tools
I have downloaded the pgn.files and must say that I am very impressed by the quality of the analyses in these files. Is all of the analyses in these files given in "The Easiest Sicilian"? If so, then I am surprised that Kolev did not at least mention Mr. Spasov's significant contribution to this book.

IP Logged

J-dog

Reply #61 - 04/29/08 at 02:04:35
Post Tools
wow...didn't see that one comin...  Shocked

IP Logged

spasov
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #60 - 04/28/08 at 20:11:40
Post Tools
Part 5

svesh5.pgn ( 27 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

spasov
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #59 - 04/28/08 at 20:11:09
Post Tools
Part 4

svesh4.pgn ( 46 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

spasov
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #58 - 04/28/08 at 20:10:09
Post Tools
Part 3

svesh3.pgn ( 45 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

spasov
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #57 - 04/28/08 at 20:09:38
Post Tools
Part 2

svesh2.pgn ( 45 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

spasov
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #56 - 04/28/08 at 20:08:46
Post Tools
A long time ago I was approached by GM Kolev for working on a book about Sveshnikov. I was surprised when my name as a cooauthor of the this book dissappeared a couple of months ago. I was working with Kolev on the variations and some months ago I was eliminated as an author of the book. So, I decided to publish some of the work we have done together on this book. Here are the PGN files (because of restrictions i will post them in 5 posts.
GM Vasil Spasov

svesh1.pgn ( 46 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #55 - 04/28/08 at 07:58:27
Post Tools
To be honest I cant really see any problem with the 2 books - and Khalifman himself makes no claim he will beat the Sveshnikov, admitting the most White can hope for is a slight edge in the critical lines.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #54 - 04/27/08 at 17:47:53
Post Tools
gewgaw wrote on 04/27/08 at 15:11:00:
How about a book like " The Mercedes Nimzowitsch" or "The Porsche Grunfeld" Wink

or "The Accepted Queen's Gambit" - available from all good Chess Stars stockists

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #53 - 04/27/08 at 15:11:00
Post Tools
During the last 18 months I "inhaled" "The Safest Sicilian" from page 1 to page 218. With the help of databases and playing on the internet I even enlarged the given lines, for example: Part 3 6.Be3 --> 11.Qd4 (Khalifman). Books like "the easiest sicilian" or "the sharpest sicilian" are interesting for sure, but honestly I´d like to buy a book against 1.d4. How about a book like " The Mercedes Nimzowitsch" or "The Porsche Grunfeld" Wink

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

Legion XIX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #52 - 04/27/08 at 02:52:03
Post Tools
I have seen the contents of this book on the Niggemann site, and I am quite impressed by the detail of them; for the Positional Variation, the contents page has sub-sections for move 18 and beyond!

I also can't wait to have Kolev/Nedev's recommendation against the Rossolimo - it is a very tricky line for Black players! (The Rossolimo, not their recommendation).

It's also good to note that they give plenty of back-up lines in case one of their recommendations doesn't stand the test of time.

IP Logged

A-Tong
YaBB Newbies

Hell is not punishment,
it's training

Reply #51 - 04/26/08 at 23:00:22
Post Tools
Kolevs simple solution is very interesting:

"The so-called Positional variation
against the Sveshnikov has become
lately the first choice of White
players of all levels. A quick check
in my database shows that in
2006-2008 it occurred two times
more often than the lines with 9
¥xf6. Apparently fashion, but also
fear of the sharper variations, have
a strong impact on White’s preferences.
Otherwise it is difficult to explain
this fondness of a line which is
too well explored, aspires to a small
positional edge at best, and is often
rather boring . Of course Anand
or Shirov may have every reason to
like it, provided it brings them full
points sometimes, but they have super
technique and deep analyses of
the arising positions and even endgames.
The lower the level, the worse
are White’s statistics.
Below 2400,
first players scored only about 50
percent in the last two years.
Currently I do not see any
serious theoretical problems
for Black."

And he is right !!! The "Khalifman product" tells us: "Come on buy me and I tell you how to beat the Sveshnikov.........but only if you are able to memorize a lot of information....."  (@Matemax: nice idea to give the books a voice  Smiley:-)) And if you are a fulltime-player...

Kolevs book tells us: "I only want to be a new repertoire-book about the Sveshnikov, buy me und hope to get a good game against the "normal" OTB-players .

hic fuit

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #50 - 04/26/08 at 20:46:51
Post Tools
Semko wrote on 04/26/08 at 19:37:01:
Matemax, I'm confused, too, from the variety of books I see on the market.  We try to keep our titles down to 4-5 per year and publish a book only when the author has something valuable to say. It so happened that I got an interesting proposition from Kolev which competes with Khalifman's Anand 10. Actually, the two books overlap in only one chapter (about 10 pages). We do not try to impose any standpoint on our readers, so it is up to you to solve your dilemma. I suspect, that there is no absolute truth about the variations proposed in both books. Some players will feel comfortably with Khalifman's treatment, others will be happy as Black. The Easiest Sicilian will try to convert more non-Sveshnikov players to Black's camp.

Semko - thank you for your answer!

Its clear for me that a variation like the Sveshnikov will stay alive as long as people will play chess. Its neither winning nor losing - it simply has its pros and cons. On the other hand every product needs something to sell it - the "Khalifman product" tells me: "Come on buy me and I tell you how to beat the Sveshnikov". The "easy product" says: "No, no  - buy me I offer you an easy line which gives you a lot of counterplay". Thats OK! Its simply amazing that both books are coming out very close from the same publisher. Well probably simply due to the opening wings of a butterfly in our chaotic universe.

What I mean is that if you are the publisher its your responsibility to connect your products - they dont stand alone. You gave birth to the Anti-Svesh and to the Pro-Svesh - let them talk with one another!

A lot of chess books are printed every year - we, the chess apostles, are running behind them hoping for the final solution. But after running years and years wisdom finally finds its way: "There is no final solution to be found in books!" Everything is just a flash in time and therefore its up to one self to find the best way. We need books to work with, books to give ideas, books to help us asking the right questions - there will be never ever books with answers.

Conclusion: Wouldnt it be better to show one variation (eg Sveshnikov), its ideas and possibilities than bringing out two repertoire books - one for white, one for black - within a short time?

Addendum: I am sure the book itself is great (but thats not the problem concerning me)!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo