Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Scotch or Belgrade (Read 2497 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Scotch or Belgrade
Reply #6 - 04/09/08 at 22:59:43
Post Tools
halfacreek wrote on 04/09/08 at 12:15:13:
Good day,

I have played the Scotch 4knights for the last couple of years and now I'm 1700 and feel that I should move on to something else.  I've looked at the lopez but there seem to be so very many attempts at black's disposal with which white must be familiar so I've thought I'd look at the Scotch mieses variation or the Belgrade gambit. Any suggestions on which of these should be the next step? As black I play the Lopez Schliemann and the Na5 variation of the 2knights and the tarrasch. Advice and comments are welcomed.

You seem to have prefered a solid strategical game for a couple years now, so the next logical step would be to see how you handle the initiative, particularly Time vs Force, so time to try your hand at playing a few gambit openings.

Post the gambit games along with your thoughts at the time and the forum regulars may assisst you in determining what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong.

One word of advice, if you are going to start playing Gambit openings, make sure you brush up on all the typical mating patterns that occur in praxis. You would be surprised how often such knowledge proves far more useful than rote memorisation at 1700 level.

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #5 - 04/09/08 at 17:40:34
Post Tools
halfacreek wrote on 04/09/08 at 13:45:32:
Thanks for the quick replies.   Smiley

the games break down:

early d5 = 3
early d6 = 11
3knights = 10
misc = 4

Since only the early ...d5 is fully adequate, I'm a little surprised you'd switch.  With ...d6 a good plan is to get f2-f4 in, play Rae1, then aim for e4-e5.

You could also consider the Evans, plus something against the Two Knights.

MNb:  I don't think the stock of the Mieses Variation in high-level competitions is too relevant to how likely it is to score at the 1700 level.  I think the same thing about the Spanish, actually.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 04/09/08 at 14:35:41
Post Tools
drkodos wrote on 04/09/08 at 12:45:52:
Step out of the Kiddie pool and play the Spanish.

Right. Buy Greet's book on the Ruy Lopez (Spanish) with Qe2. The Belgrade is a step backward and the Scottish Mieses Variation is not as dangerous anymore as it used to be in Kasparov's time.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

halfacreek
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/09/08 at 13:45:32
Post Tools
Thanks for the quick replies.   Smiley

the games break down:

early d5 = 3
early d6 = 11
3knights = 10
misc = 4

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 04/09/08 at 13:06:11
Post Tools
halfacreek wrote on 04/09/08 at 12:15:13:
Good day,

I have played the Scotch 4knights for the last couple of years and now I'm 1700 and feel that I should move on to something else.  I've looked at the lopez but there seem to be so very many attempts at black's disposal with which white must be familiar so I've thought I'd look at the Scotch mieses variation or the Belgrade gambit. Any suggestions on which of these should be the next step? As black I play the Lopez Schliemann and the Na5 variation of the 2knights and the tarrasch. Advice and comments are welcomed.

The Mieses Variation is much better respected at high levels, of course.  But with the Belgrade you could make use of much of your Scotch Four Knights preparation, for example against 4...Bb4, and even switch into a Scotch Four Knights when the mood suited you. 

Also I'm curious to know what kind of play you encountered in that system, which I think is playable for a win at the 1700 level.  Did all of your opponents play theoretically with an early ...d5, or did you observe that quite a few settled for ...d6?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #1 - 04/09/08 at 12:45:52
Post Tools
Step out of the Kiddie pool and play the Spanish.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

halfacreek
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Scotch or Belgrade
04/09/08 at 12:15:13
Post Tools
Good day,

I have played the Scotch 4knights for the last couple of years and now I'm 1700 and feel that I should move on to something else.  I've looked at the lopez but there seem to be so very many attempts at black's disposal with which white must be familiar so I've thought I'd look at the Scotch mieses variation or the Belgrade gambit. Any suggestions on which of these should be the next step? As black I play the Lopez Schliemann and the Na5 variation of the 2knights and the tarrasch. Advice and comments are welcomed.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo