Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Most critical line agains the PIRC? (Read 12879 times)
Bibs
God Member

Re: Most critical line agains the PIRC?
Reply #18 - 08/18/08 at 13:11:18
Post Tools
I think there are two g4 systems which MartinC may be referring to in Vigus' text.

1) The Archbishop Attack which I understand may see more coverage some place soonish.

2) Affable Brit FM Graeme Lee's Be2, Be3, g4 hack. This is the Vigus loss referred to.

In addition:

3) An occasional Nakamura blitz pet with a straight g4 (no Be3 first) as an expanded fianchetto.

Having had a look, I dont trust:
4) Be2 and g4.  But for more on that see the (bizarre) Carpathian book 2.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 08/18/08 at 09:24:44
Post Tools
Well if you like 5 g4 there it might be worth pointing out that Vigus thinks that delaying it a move with Be3 first is a rather superior version and even objectively quite dangerous. There's some detailed analysis in his recent Pirc book including iirc a game of his where he gets horribly crushed as black. Very sporting to include that Smiley

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #16 - 08/17/08 at 15:38:35
Post Tools
Tomas wrote on 08/06/08 at 12:48:58:
My favourite variation is 1.e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Be2 Bg7 5. g4 with preassure on kingside

This is one of the reasons I got addicted to the Pirc with Black: White goes for an instant aggression. Black suffers a lot when avoiding to be crashed at the very beginning of the game but White consumes a lot of time trying to find the right way and at the end, if Black managed to survive, Whites makes an error (quite often a blunder) and loses. In each case it gives exciting games  Cheesy

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

Tomas
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 08/06/08 at 12:48:58
Post Tools
My favourite variation is 1.e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Be2 Bg7 5. g4 with preassure on kingside

IP Logged

knightmare

Reply #14 - 07/02/08 at 11:42:16
Post Tools
thibdb13 wrote on 07/02/08 at 10:56:05:
knightmare wrote on 07/02/08 at 09:25:39:
Hmm. The Classical? Are there any recent developments in

6... Bg4 7.Be3 Nc6 8.d5 Nb8

that give white some advantage? I always had the impression that white has nothing at all in this line.

This line gives white a nice optical advantage and this optical advantage can be very frustrating for white (in such a position I must win!). I would not say that black stands better but I think he has a real psychological advantage.

I found this a very hard nut to crack, analyzed it with a friend, and came to the conclusion that the position simply is about equal. The stats (at Chesslab) are even in blacks favour, which confirms that.

For the optical advantage: I don't see that advantage. Black has beautiful target fields for his Nb8, via d7. Black has no weaknesses, this is a fine position for black to play. I played the classical for years, and this is the line that made me quit that.

ELO 2060. Corr.: 2190. Which casts doubts if I ever knew what I was doing. At least on the Board.

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #13 - 07/02/08 at 10:56:05
Post Tools
knightmare wrote on 07/02/08 at 09:25:39:

that give white some advantage? I always had the impression that white has nothing at all in this line.

This line gives white a nice optical advantage and this optical advantage can be very frustrating for white (in such a position I must win!). I would not say that black stands better but I think he has a real psychological advantage.

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

knightmare

Reply #12 - 07/02/08 at 09:25:39
Post Tools

ELO 2060. Corr.: 2190. Which casts doubts if I ever knew what I was doing. At least on the Board.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 06/24/08 at 18:05:54
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 06/24/08 at 05:54:39:
Play what you normally play and use this as a learning experience to improve your current repertoire. Then whatever the result of the game, you will have won some experience Cool

obvious I can't play what I normally play cause I see the pirc 1/100,000 games so clearly this is not a choice. I'm guaranteed to see the pirc here.   One should relish in the chance to prepare for a match not throw it away carelessly.

Bibs wrote on 06/24/08 at 14:46:31:
I've spent quite a lot of time on both sides of different setups over the years.

Be3 150 setups verus pirc troublesome of course.

Or mine and Vigus' 'Archbishop attack'. See his book.

Suggest you look at Tszermi...'s (cant remember) the Greek fella anyhow, articles in New in Chess for Austrian info.

Or H. Nakamura's games with Bg5 (Byrne variation).  He murdered me in that line.

thanks I'll look into that.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #10 - 06/24/08 at 14:46:31
Post Tools
I've spent quite a lot of time on both sides of different setups over the years.

Be3 150 setups verus pirc troublesome of course.

Or mine and Vigus' 'Archbishop attack'. See his book.

Suggest you look at Tszermi...'s (cant remember) the Greek fella anyhow, articles in New in Chess for Austrian info.

Or H. Nakamura's games with Bg5 (Byrne variation).  He murdered me in that line.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #9 - 06/24/08 at 05:54:39
Post Tools
trw wrote on 06/24/08 at 02:08:18:
interesting stuff. I am preparing my pirc theory for a big match I have coming up with an IM. he is much stronger than me so my goal is just to get a playable middlegame and not try to out theory his opening. What system do you recommend I try for?

Play what you normally play and use this as a learning experience to improve your current repertoire. Then whatever the result of the game, you will have won some experience Cool

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 06/24/08 at 02:08:18
Post Tools
interesting stuff. I am preparing my pirc theory for a big match I have coming up with an IM. he is much stronger than me so my goal is just to get a playable middlegame and not try to out theory his opening. What system do you recommend I try for?

IP Logged

Novosibirsk

Chess is my life!

Reply #7 - 05/10/08 at 18:15:38
Post Tools
I agree. The Austrian is very critical but you have to be prepared to study a lot of theory. But if you really hate the pirc you may have the fuel to do so.

I like the classical system with an early h3.

1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 Nc3 g7 h3!

This annoys some black players even more as they can not play an early Bg4. then I play Nf3 Be3 and so on.

My main plan in this line is to restric blacks counterchances as much as possible. Keep an edge.

“I don’t play chess anymore, I play Fischer Random. It is a much better game, more challenge. Chess is a dead game, it is played out. Fischer Random is a version of chess that I developed or invented.
IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #6 - 04/30/08 at 07:12:19
Post Tools
nyoke wrote on 04/29/08 at 12:39:27:
Not surprising to me. I think the good old classical (with Be2) might be the most annoying line to Black.

I agree with this. The classical, as the fianchetto variation, may not be the most critical anti-pirc weapon but it is really annnoying because black cannot create counterplay as easily as in other, sharper, white's approaches.

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 04/29/08 at 12:39:27
Post Tools
Not surprising to me. I think the good old classical (with Be2) might be the most annoying line to Black.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #4 - 04/28/08 at 16:33:28
Post Tools
I agree with Keano. There isn't a line which stands out as most critical, and there are a lot that White can try to go for an advantage.
4. Be3 seems in vogue at the moment.  Probably it's down to taste.

As for Big guns. You don't see the Pirc much at the top level, but Baku recently featured one of the 2700 club playing it in Inarkiev - Mamedyarov,  a classical 4. Nf3 5. Be2 Pirc

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo