Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lasker's Defence on QGD (Read 9856 times)
Chess_Addict

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Lasker's Defence on QGD
Reply #12 - 06/06/08 at 13:25:33
Post Tools
this is almost OT but... Cheesy

in my view nid/qid aren't that flexible. i mean, they work very well if white plays classically but a nid/qid setup against a torre attack for example isn't really that flexible. black always plays the same way more or less and gets solid but counterplay-free position. i play torre quite often against stronger opposition which i know will play such a setup as black with amazing results (got a few draws against GMs almost effortlessly).

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/06/08 at 12:47:50
Post Tools
I really come to like the QGD, I will employ it as 2nd weapon next to the semi-slav ... the good thing about it is that it is quite universal,
you can also employ it against 1.c4 ...
it is said to be quite solid but passive ... but all *sound* defences to 1.d4 are mostly too solid too ... I like it as 2nd weapon if I do not want to go into a theory battle ... I agree that nid/qid is better, because they are more flexible, but it is still a good defence, that is not much worse than nid/qid ... I also play the classical sicilian instead of najdorf,
although I agree that najdorf is more flexible because black lets open where to place the knight, but the classical sicilian is still a good and sound defence with much less theory, but still with enough counter chances...maybe qgd could also become my first choice if I lose too many theory battles in the semi-slav ...

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #10 - 06/05/08 at 13:54:18
Post Tools
That old survey of mine is very cursory; no real theory to speak of.

It is perhaps worth noting that White doesn't have to allow Lasker's, or Tartakover's (at least not in their optimal, ...h6 versions), if after 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 Be7 he plays Eingorn's 5.Qc2.  Now if 5...0-0 6.Bg5 h6, White takes on f6 followed either immediately or after 0-0-0 by e2-e4. I've won my share of games this way. Of course, Black can meet Eingorn's idea in other ways, but I would suggest that Black know them.  It's a game of chess in any case and I rather like 5.Qc2.

Another aspect of White's move order is that he permits the Ragozin/Vienna and the Semi-Tarrasch.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Chevalier

Reply #9 - 06/05/08 at 12:24:28
Post Tools
In the lecture LeeRoth mentions, a reference is given to an article written by one of the ChessPub forum members, Markovich. To me at least, it looks like a pretty good summary of the main lines that occur after 1.d4 d5 and their current theoretical status.

Nothing has meaning or value other than the meaning and value that you give it.

IP Logged

Chess_Addict

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 06/05/08 at 00:25:50
Post Tools
i play the lasker too (rated around 2200). i personally have learnt it form Sadler's and Kasparov's amazing works on the QGD, especially Sadler. in my view to learn such an opening properly you may want to find well analyzed games from main expert Jussupow. i guess in dvoretzky's books there are a few of his epic battles vs Karpov very well commented but i cannot check right now. As usual if you are looking for concrete variations rather than ideas i reccomend Khalifman's vol 5.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #7 - 05/04/08 at 10:35:00
Post Tools
TimS wrote on 04/29/08 at 10:51:47:
I dug out this book while visiting my parents on Saturday and read the Lasker section on the train home ... However, they don't say what to do against the bane of the QGD player - the Exchange Variation ...

I dug it out too. Quite nostalgic as this was one of first "opening" books I ever got, and the Dragon brought me many schoolboy wins.

I never tried Lasker's defence though, although after looking through the Kenilworth articles I'm tempted to add it into my repetoire to add in some light square stuff. There is a skeleton d4d5 repetoire there, including the Exchange Variation, d4d5 deviations and a good set of links to books and other resources. Thanks for that one LeeRoth Good stuff!

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #6 - 05/04/08 at 10:04:23
Post Tools
TimS wrote on 04/29/08 at 10:51:47:
Lasker's Defence was the Black-against-1.d4 reperatoire in Horowitz & Reinfeld's How To Think Ahead In Chess. Not for advanced players, though.

I dug out this book while visiting my parents on Saturday and read the Lasker section on the train home. Contrary to my previous post, this book is far more advanced than I remember it being (I suspect when I first bought the book a lot of it was well over my head). Sure, the authors feel the need to point out some very obvious tactics but they cover the defence in some depth. However, they don't say what to do against the bane of the QGD player - the Exchange Variation ...

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #5 - 04/29/08 at 10:51:47
Post Tools
Lasker's Defence was the Black-against-1.d4 reperatoire in Horowitz & Reinfeld's How To Think Ahead In Chess. Not for advanced players, though.

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #4 - 04/28/08 at 21:06:04
Post Tools
I used to play Laskers and the best book was probably Matthew Sadler's "Queens Gambit Declined" from Everyman Chess.  He does a beautiful job of explaining the ideas behind the theory.  For more recent books I'd recommend Rizzitano's "Chess Explained: QGD" depending on your strength.  If you are fairly new to chess, I'd recommend that you start out with McDonald's aptly named "Starting Out: QGD" since the book really is aimed for beginners and those just starting (unlike several other books in the 'Starting Out' series).

En passant, you also might want to check out Kasparov's DVD on the Queens Gambit since he discusses Lasker's pretty well and also some lines like Bf4, Bxf6, and the exchange lines.  Kasparov obviously knows his stuff (to say the least) and I found the DVD instructive, inspiring, and entertaining as well.  Great stuff.

Anyway, best of luck,
Nietzsche

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/28/08 at 18:56:54
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 04/28/08 at 17:30:17:
If you want to play the Lasker's as Black, the articles here are really all you need:  

http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/games/java/2007/lasker-kenilworth-repertoire....

Thank you the article there is very good. There they give a very good rate for the Soltis book.

Thank you for your replies.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #2 - 04/28/08 at 17:30:17
Post Tools
If you want to play the Lasker's as Black, the articles here are really all you need: 

http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/games/java/2007/lasker-kenilworth-repertoire....

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/28/08 at 16:45:47
Post Tools
Well, aside from coverage in various encyclopedias and QG books, I recall a book on it by Andrew Soltis (from the mid-90s, maybe).

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Lasker's Defence on QGD
04/28/08 at 16:37:04
Post Tools
I  searched in the forum but I did not find anything on Lasker's Defence, is someone have information about this defence or to recommend a book ?

I tried but I did not find anything written.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo