Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 2 Knights Caro Kann any good? (Read 5490 times)
rooksway18

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: 2 Knights Caro Kann any good?
Reply #5 - 08/15/08 at 04:26:29
Post Tools
Soltis once gave his approval for black playing 1.e4 c6 2.Nc3 d5 3.Nf3 de 4.Ne4 Nd7 with 5...Ngf6 next. Then 5.d4 Ngf6 6.Ng3 (what else?)6... c5 is considered fine for black as far as I know.

So 3...de seems good enough for approximate equality. Does that mean 3...Bg4 is just another option, is it an attempt by black for more than equality?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 05/03/08 at 11:35:51
Post Tools
ANDREW BRETT wrote on 05/03/08 at 09:49:29:
3.. Bg4 is the move- and i don't think white has much other than a non theoretical struggle.

Not even that. Some old mates of mine already knew about that x.h3 Bh5 y.g4 Bg6 complications some 25 years ago. So did I thanks to Pachmann and Suetin who gave it a serious treat. Even giving up the pair of bishops gives Black excellent chances for equality, but that ...Bh5 really put me off.
The only advantage of the Caro-Kann Two Knights compared to 2.d4 is avoiding the Capablanca Variation (4...Bf5) as both 4...Nd7 and 4...Nf6 usually transpose to regular lines after a white x.d4. In both cases White's early development of the King's Knight limits his choice somewhat.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/03/08 at 11:07:35
Post Tools
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208126973

is a thread I started with some stuff on the 3.Qf3 Caro.. I still haven't managed to test them on a serious game.. Caro players are rare at those weekend swisses lately..

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/03/08 at 09:49:29
Post Tools
3.. Bg4 is the move- and i don't think white has much other than a non theoretical struggle. Caro-Kanners hardly quake in their boots when this comes up.

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #1 - 05/02/08 at 17:57:42
Post Tools
Gerbarts wrote on 05/02/08 at 17:28:30:
Im interested in peoples opinion on the two-knights Caro-Kann. Is this as good as other lines?

I have only recently tried it out in blitz and 90% of my games go:

1.e4 c6 2.Nc3 d5 3.Nf3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 and now either 4...Nf6 or 4...Nd7 intending 5...Nf6.

I like the other lines where black doesn't exchange on c6 but does anyone think white can get any advantage after the above?

Btw, the reference that I have on this is from the website chessarea.com and I must say that it is very poor. It does for example not even mention these lines.

As White, I am more comfortable in these lines than the lines that start with 3. ....Bg4 because I believe White can get an advantage with simple developing moves.  When Black plays 3.  ...Bg4, I believe the best White can hope for is equality in the position.

Vs  Nd7 5.d4  keeps white  advantage and Vs 4. ...Nf6 then 5.Ng3 is the pathway.

Not sure about what mean Black exchanging on c6, but am guessing you refere to Bg4 lines with exchange on f3?  If so, there are good option for Black in not exchnaging and baiting White into possible overextension in chasing away the Bishop.
Also topical to look at games White plays 3 Qf3.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

Gerbarts

I Love ChessPublishing!

2 Knights Caro Kann any good?
05/02/08 at 17:28:30
Post Tools
Im interested in peoples opinion on the two-knights Caro-Kann. Is this as good as other lines?

I have only recently tried it out in blitz and 90% of my games go:

1.e4 c6 2.Nc3 d5 3.Nf3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 and now either 4...Nf6 or 4...Nd7 intending 5...Nf6.

I like the other lines where black doesn't exchange on c6 but does anyone think white can get any advantage after the above?

Btw, the reference that I have on this is from the website chessarea.com and I must say that it is very poor. It does for example not even mention these lines.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo