Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 4...d5!? Dangerous Weapon - update? (Read 3330 times)
MilenPetrov

Winnie the Pooh Rules
:)

Re: 4...d5!? Dangerous Weapon - update?
Reply #7 - 05/25/08 at 20:44:09
Post Tools
Yes, in fact one of my friends who is IM uses this system very often in blitz games with black pieces and scores good results. That is why I worked on it and now I know what to do Wink.
I also checked what Khalifman thinks about this variation and it was strange for me that the line was cut just after the queenless middlegame arose with an assessment that White is (slightly) better.
Regards

IP Logged

IMRichardPalliser

Reply #6 - 05/25/08 at 10:42:50
Post Tools
A bit harsh TimS! Granted 4...d5 isn't going to suit your bloodthirsty Sicilian fan, but it does suit some players! I'd especially recommend 4...d5 to those who want to fight in a complex queenless middlegame which White may well not know too well. Thus 4...d5 might work for such a player against a lower-rated but booked up white opponent or to hold a stronger opponent - remember Sokolov-Zozulia? Wink
Personally I've done OK with 4...d5 at blitz, and I seem to recall Jonathan Rowson quite liking the idea, but, granted, it won't suit everyone!

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #5 - 05/05/08 at 13:27:57
Post Tools
Perhaps the series should be renamed Desperate Weapons

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #4 - 05/05/08 at 13:18:37
Post Tools
I recall someone playing this against me at the local chess club.  In the first game I tried the Smith-Morra using the move order 1 e4 c5 2 d4 cxd4 3 Nf3 Nc6 4 c3, when he played 4...d5 (presumably he'd learnt the Capablanca defence to the Danish/Goring and played by analogy, though I don't think it fully equalises against the Morra).

The next game I varied with 4 Nxd4, and, not realising that I'd transposed to the Open Sicilian, he still continued 4...d5.  I can't remember what I responded, but I recall I had no problem proving an advantage.  Looking at the position fresh, 5 exd5 Qxd5 6 Be3 with Nc3 to follow looks good, or 5 Nxc6 bxc6 6 exd5 Qxd5 7 Qxd5 cxd5 8 Nc3 and Black's queenside is decidedly loose.

I'm not averse to playing dubious lines with Black if they offer good practical chances and traps, but this line doesn't even offer any of those, as far as I can see it's just inferior.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 05/05/08 at 12:03:57
Post Tools
Ivan wrote on 05/04/08 at 09:52:38:
Good morning/afternoon,

What is your opinion of the 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cd4 4.Nd4 d5 variation covered in Dangerous Weapons? I tried the line in a few blitz games, but simply ended up in a somewhat passive position without a lot of active prospects.

Seems like a very dangerous weapon indeed. I can see no way at all for black to reach anything resembling equality after say 5.Nxc6 and 6.exd5.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Legion XIX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 05/05/08 at 11:50:17
Post Tools
I have the Dangerous Weapons book as well, which says that White is slightly better in a number of variations, although if Black plays precisely he can gradually equalise.

I can't really find the practicality in this variation, since against weaker players there are not enough winning chances, partly because Black's position starts out as being slightly worse, and against stronger players, the adoption of this surprise weapon would probably result in you getting outplayed or ground down by the opponent.

IP Logged

MilenPetrov

Winnie the Pooh Rules
:)

Reply #1 - 05/04/08 at 18:34:06
Post Tools
My personal opinion is that this variation can be used only as a surprise weapon. If White knows what to do and how to react then he has easy advantage.

Regards

IP Logged

Ivan
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

4...d5!? Dangerous Weapon - update?
05/04/08 at 09:52:38
Post Tools
Good morning/afternoon,

What is your opinion of the 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cd4 4.Nd4 d5 variation covered in Dangerous Weapons? I tried the line in a few blitz games, but simply ended up in a somewhat passive position without a lot of active prospects.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo