Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) ChessBase DVD - The London System by Davies (Read 7939 times)
Anonymous
Ex Member

Re: ChessBase DVD - The London System by Davies
Reply #10 - 05/09/08 at 20:19:12
Post Tools
I think I have found improvements for white on what John Cox recommends against 2 Bf4 in his book Dealing With d4 Deviations.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #9 - 05/09/08 at 03:51:43
Post Tools
Nietzsche wrote on 05/08/08 at 20:41:47:
I, also, would like to play the London since it's rather good against some setups and leads to fun attacking chess; but I cannot find anything for White after either Prie's line or John Cox's line from "Dealing with D4 Deviations".  

In fact, after a quick ...c5, ...Nc6, and ...Qb6 the results are already in Black's favor and all my engines prefer Black (and this after only about 7-8 moves).  I suppose if Black plays a quick ...e6 and ...d5 then the London is a good choice, but if black goes ...g6 or bangs out a quick ...c5/...Qb6, it might not even be equality.  Alas!

That said, I bought and enjoyed 'Win with the London System' and I think its an excellent book.  But my stronger opponents just don't allow me any edge at all.  Angry

Nietzsche

I'm a little puzzled. Do you mean after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Bf4 Bg7 4.e3 THEN ...c5 and ...Qb6? Anyway, this is very interesting, if you could expand it a little bit.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 05/09/08 at 00:30:24
Post Tools
Have you looked at 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 c5 4.e3 Nc6 5.Nc3 ? No edge, but still interesting.
If you want an edge either 2.c4 or 2.Nf3/3.c4 is the way to go.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #7 - 05/08/08 at 20:41:47
Post Tools
I, also, would like to play the London since it's rather good against some setups and leads to fun attacking chess; but I cannot find anything for White after either Prie's line or John Cox's line from "Dealing with D4 Deviations". 

In fact, after a quick ...c5, ...Nc6, and ...Qb6 the results are already in Black's favor and all my engines prefer Black (and this after only about 7-8 moves).  I suppose if Black plays a quick ...e6 and ...d5 then the London is a good choice, but if black goes ...g6 or bangs out a quick ...c5/...Qb6, it might not even be equality.  Alas!

That said, I bought and enjoyed 'Win with the London System' and I think its an excellent book.  But my stronger opponents just don't allow me any edge at all.  Angry

Nietzsche

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #6 - 05/08/08 at 12:33:27
Post Tools
I've recently started playing 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Bg5 in a few games, mainly as a backup to my normal openings. I've done ok with it and spent some time learning the plans - its certainly not as easy for Black as might appear. I might start a thread on it sometime.

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #5 - 05/08/08 at 11:11:51
Post Tools
Please don't take this as a recommendation but there actually is a Barry/London hybrid against the KID:

1.d4 Nf6 2.Bf4 g6 3.Nc3!? d5 and now instead of 4.Nf3 which leads to the Barry White can try 4.Qd2, which after 4...Bg7 5.Bh6 transposes to the Veresov or more independently 4.e3 Bg7 5.Be2 0-0 when White instead of 6.Nf3 may show pure aggression with 6.g4 or 6.h4 (with which I have had some success in blitz and rapid games).

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #4 - 05/08/08 at 10:48:36
Post Tools
Dont think Carlsen has played the London against the KID. He has used the Torre lately I think.

But I agree - London is not particular strong against the KID.

IP Logged

Chevalier

Reply #3 - 05/08/08 at 10:23:51
Post Tools
The London system is about as harmless as you can get against the King's Indian - even Carlsen has failed to obtain any advantage out of the opening playing White.

It contains some venom against 2...e6, although Karpov has done a good job of countering it over the years.

Nothing has meaning or value other than the meaning and value that you give it.

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #2 - 05/08/08 at 10:07:43
Post Tools
Quote:
the London system can be very trappy for the unwary but realistically it's not that strong is it ? Or put it another way, as an alternative to the Queens Gambit, I think the Torre or the Barry attack are much stronger than this

- The Barry Attack isn't an alternative to the Queen's Gambit - it's mainly an alternative to facing the King's Indian (1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Nc3!? d5 4.Bf4).

- The Torre vs. 1...d5 (1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bg5) has a very poor reputation because of 3...Ne4!. So also the Torre is mainly a weapon against the Indian defences (1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.Bg5 or 2...g6 3.Bg5)

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 05/08/08 at 08:49:12
Post Tools
I haven't seen this dvd but i would point out that the London system can be very trappy for the unwary but realistically it's not that strong is it ? Or put it another way, as an alternative to the Queens Gambit, I think the Torre or the Barry attack are much stronger than this. However propsective Black's would be well advised to book up against this!

IP Logged

winawer77

ChessBase DVD - The London System by Davies
05/08/08 at 08:16:48
Post Tools
Hi guys, no doubt some of you will have seen this DVD on the Chessbase site by now.

http://chessbase.com/shop/product.asp?pid=383

Has anyone got it yet? I'm interested to see whether he adequately deals with the problems highlighted by Eric Prie in his ChessPub column. Specifically the 1.d4 d5 systems where Black can attack first with ...c5

I notice one of the diagrams on the Chessbase site shows a 1.d4 d5 line with the c8 bishop blocked in by an early ...e6 - I therefore hope this is not going to be a DVD showing a succession of effortless wins for White involving Ne5, Qf3-h3 etc

Also, the 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Bf4 Bg7 4.e3 0-0 5.h3 d6 6.Be2 c5 7.c3 Be6! line, also highlighted by Prie, seems to make White's position very tame indeed. It would be interesting to see whether Davies covers this, too.

I've always loved the London System, indeed all the d-pawn specials, but have always forced myself not to play them. So whenever a new book (The Gambit one a few years ago) or DVD appears, I am invariably interested. I always read Prie's ChessPub column, as he does something that I've never really seen done before - he critically analyses the openings in question to genuinely find the best moves for both colours. This sounds strange, but these types of opening systems are usually marketed as 'straightforward, with easy to learn plans' they generally tend to get treated as such.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo