Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C00-C19: Flexible French (Read 51758 times)
MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Flexible French
Reply #80 - 05/27/11 at 17:23:01
Post Tools
Yes Palliser in Yorkshire not Moskalenko! Rather less silly Wink

Although I'm sure he's got plenty of his own internal events which don't make it on to databases either.

IP Logged

HoemberChess
God Member

Reply #79 - 05/27/11 at 15:22:31
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 05/27/11 at 09:19:29:
Easy explanation for the games where he's playing at least. They're mostly in various local leagues/tournaments in Yorkshire which simply don't make any databases.

As for the rest, I'd tend to assume that a professional book author/editor has quite a few databases at their disposal Wink

The reason they don't give all the games in the books is length of course - it'll make them mch thicker without adding all that much. At worst a big database should hopefully contain some similar games in the same lines?

@S_F:
I think it is Palliser who is in Yorkshire (!?), whereas Moskalenko in Barcelona.
---
No, I don't expect authors to give games in their books in full length. I just expect the games to be in a database accessible to me.
I mean, when studying an opening book, my habit is to look for every referred game in databases... I find most of them, but not all, especially when it comes to the author's own games.

as
*W 1d4) Torre/Barry/Pirc/Philidor/ early _d5:early c4(QGD/Slav/QGD/etc)
*B) 1e4:e6 [+1_c5 2Nf3 a6]| 1d4:e6 2c4 Bb4+ BID/pseudoNID [+1_Nf6 NID]| 1c4:c5,_Nc6,_e5,_g6| 1Nf3:c5
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #78 - 05/27/11 at 14:53:08
Post Tools
Moskalenko is in Yorkshire?  Wow!

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #77 - 05/27/11 at 09:19:29
Post Tools
Easy explanation for the games where he's playing at least. They're mostly in various local leagues/tournaments in Yorkshire which simply don't make any databases.

As for the rest, I'd tend to assume that a professional book author/editor has quite a few databases at their disposal Wink

The reason they don't give all the games in the books is length of course - it'll make them mch thicker without adding all that much. At worst a big database should hopefully contain some similar games in the same lines?

IP Logged

HoemberChess
God Member

Re: sample games--where to find them?
Reply #76 - 05/26/11 at 19:00:06
Post Tools
dom wrote on 05/26/11 at 09:51:35:
HoemberChess wrote on 05/25/11 at 11:50:10:
but referred me to public databases, since he cannot send his own, as it has some value.
(Which I find strange, since if it is available in public then what could be so secret about it..?)

It's no secret that: "information is power".

If one GM thinks about publishing his/her games: what are pros and cons ?
Maybe he will think like this:

Pros:...I don't see one pro (I don't need to pusblish my games to be famous or be GM or be invited)..not now...maybe when I will be old or retired or dead..I or someome will publish my masterpiece games.

Cons:...Too much easy to analyze my games, use my ideas, ...to beat me...

I assisted one famous GM chess lesson...and he said jokingly: "oh...this move...I didn't write it in my book...but it's good move.... I must keep something for privacy and my own usage  Grin"

No writer or chessplayer can be critized for nor sharing games or ideas:  it's life....don't be so naive about professional chess players.

Moskalenko is in fact very sharing in most of his books (more than many raw moves, with only glyphs comments: !?...)

No problem.
Anyway, I would have been interested only in the course of the games. (Without any further analyzis of the author.)

As I wrote, I had run into the same problem about the author's own missing sample games when studying Palliser's opening books. (some games cannot be found)

as
*B) 1e4:e6 [+1_c5 2Nf3 a6]| 1d4:e6 2c4 Bb4+ BID/pseudoNID [+1_Nf6 NID]| 1c4:c5,_Nc6,_e5,_g6| 1Nf3:c5
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #75 - 05/26/11 at 09:51:35
Post Tools
HoemberChess wrote on 05/25/11 at 11:50:10:
but referred me to public databases, since he cannot send his own, as it has some value.
(Which I find strange, since if it is available in public then what could be so secret about it..?)

It's no secret that: "information is power".

If one GM thinks about publishing his/her games: what are pros and cons ?
Maybe he will think like this:

Pros:...I don't see one pro (I don't need to pusblish my games to be famous or be GM or be invited)..not now...maybe when I will be old or retired or dead..I or someome will publish my masterpiece games.

Cons:...Too much easy to analyze my games, use my ideas, ...to beat me...

I assisted one famous GM chess lesson...and he said jokingly: "oh...this move...I didn't write it in my book...but it's good move.... I must keep something for privacy and my own usage  Grin"

No writer or chessplayer can be critized for nor sharing games or ideas:  it's life....don't be so naive about professional chess players.

Moskalenko is in fact very sharing in most of his books (more than many raw moves, with only glyphs comments: !?...)

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

HoemberChess
God Member

Reply #74 - 05/25/11 at 11:50:10
Post Tools
dom wrote on 05/23/11 at 11:05:05:
HoemberChess wrote on 05/22/11 at 14:18:38:
HoemberChess wrote on 05/20/11 at 13:55:00:
Where can one find the sample games?
(Many of the author's own games can't be found even in the Chessbase online database.)

What's wrong with my account?
Even when I open very old topics after months/years of silence, what I ask seems invisible to others.

+1 (same answer than MartinC): Nothing wrong

Moskalenko wrote himself in "Biography" (ending part of the book) that he used for half  his own database

If you want to do the work to find games in "free" databases, then do it....I can only mention to you the usual websites: TWIC,NiC,chessmix,..

If you want to ask to CaptainNemo: do it ! ... you have email in Flexible French or you can PM him on ICC.

In the meantime I wrote him an email, which he has answered (thanks!) Smiley,

In fact at least 8 games of his are missing from online databases (I guess it is becuase they were played in not so important tournaments, thus the games were not entered into any public database) and this is the case only in the first part of the chapter on the Advance Variation, so it must be much worse if we consider the rest of the book...

as
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #73 - 05/23/11 at 11:05:05
Post Tools
HoemberChess wrote on 05/22/11 at 14:18:38:
(Many of the author's own games can't be found even in the Chessbase online database.)

Even when I open very old topics after months/years of silence, what I ask seems invisible to others.

+1 (same answer than MartinC): Nothing wrong

Moskalenko wrote himself in "Biography" (ending part of the book) that he used for half  his own database

If you want to do the work to find games in "free" databases, then do it....I can only mention to you the usual websites: TWIC,NiC,chessmix,..

If you want to ask to CaptainNemo: do it ! ... you have email in Flexible French or you can PM him on ICC.

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Ty
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #72 - 05/22/11 at 22:38:41
Post Tools
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I should have phrased my question differently though. I knew that 'The Flexible French' was not a repertoire book, but I thought that it may have enough coverage to build a complete repertoire - judging by the table of contents listed on page two of this thread.

I actually like the idea of not using a repertoire book, because they tend to be biased. I would prefer if authors would admit that white is slightly better in some variations rather then claim black is equal in every single line. Williams' book does look tempting though, but unfortunately is not out yet here in Canada. Knowing me, I will probably end up getting it plus the Moskalenko books eventually.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #71 - 05/22/11 at 20:12:37
Post Tools
Ty wrote on 05/22/11 at 19:51:46:
Is 'The Flexible French' enough to provide black with a complete repertoire vs 1.e4?

No and neither is the 'Wonderful Winawer'. I combine them with Psakhis.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #70 - 05/22/11 at 20:04:17
Post Tools
Both "The Flexible French" and "The Wonderful Winawer" are quite good and instructional books but are not meant as repertoire books. But they are surely good starting points for building a repertoire on your own.

Williams´new book is already out in Europe and from what I have seen so far looks good, too. I like his videos on the French very much and the material is somewhat similar as in the book.

If you have neither of these titles I would suggest beginning with Williams since it may be better structured for someone new to this opening.

IP Logged

Ty
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #69 - 05/22/11 at 19:51:46
Post Tools
My apologies if this has already been asked, but is 'The Flexible French' enough to provide black with a complete repertoire vs 1.e4?

I am considering playing the french, and I have heard a lot of good things about this book. I will most likely buy 'The Wonderful Winawer' because I find that opening very interesting; but I am unsure if I should pair it with 'The Flexible French,' or if I should wait until Williams' new book comes out. The fact that 'The Flexible French' covers multiple lines against the advance and Tarrasch makes it quite appealing.

IP Logged

HoemberChess
God Member

Reply #68 - 05/22/11 at 16:49:29
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 05/22/11 at 14:45:20:
Nothing Smiley

In this case it'd just be down to trawling various databases (mostly costing money I suspect) which may or may not contain them. Since a fair few are his games, no guarantee that they're on any database.

Thanks.
Why don't authors include at least those games in full which are known not to be found in public databases...?
(I had encountered with the same issue in the case of sample games in opening books by Palliser.)

as
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #67 - 05/22/11 at 14:45:20
Post Tools
Nothing Smiley

In this case it'd just be down to trawling various databases (mostly costing money I suspect) which may or may not contain them. Since a fair few are his games, no guarantee that they're on any database.

IP Logged

HoemberChess
God Member

Reply #66 - 05/22/11 at 14:18:38
Post Tools

as
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo