Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ...a6 Slav (and Bologan's Chebanenko book) (Read 23587 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: ...a6 Slav (and Bologan's Chebanenko book)
Reply #33 - 09/15/08 at 18:37:27
Post Tools
Stop, you're killing me.

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #32 - 09/15/08 at 18:16:42
Post Tools
He might be an expert without playing it very frequently. There are some openings that I know very well but have only ventured in online blitz. Moreover, there may be a lot of games that are not in the database.

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 09/15/08 at 17:34:41
Post Tools
In my database I only found 9 games by Bologan against 2500+ Opposition, so Bologan is not really an expert on this opening ...

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #30 - 09/10/08 at 13:30:15
Post Tools
I can't believe that any exchange system can be that terrifying for Black, providing that the c8 bishop can be developed actively. I've played exchange systems with ...a6 with Black for the past 10 years and have never had any problems against any of White's ideas (Ne5, Rc1, e3, Bg5). I believe the last of these (Bg5) is the most testing, but 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 a6 5.cxd5 cxd5 6.Bg5 Ne4 7.Bh4 Nc6 8.e3 Qa5! is a good response.

I'm tempted to get this book, as I've just taken up a new interest in the ...a6 Slav. However, Flear's book is still excellent and I use it all the time. Its great as he gives responses to both White systems where Nc3 or Nf3 is delayed.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #29 - 07/06/08 at 13:08:35
Post Tools
Hi all,
I'm pleased to say I got a reply from Viorel Bologan. He wrote "Thank you for the message. There is a mistake in my comments. Instead of 7...Bg4 I should mention 7...Ne4 with the following 9...Bg4.
As for the future plans. I will take a break on writting and concentrate on playing for a while."
The book continues to impress and stimulate my interest. However, one further slip I've found is in the line 5.Qc2 e6 6cd. This should be moved further on to 5.Qc2 b5 6cd and then it makes sense !
The line 5.e3 b5 6.b3 contains several variations where White gets two pawns for a piece and compensation. However, after 6.b3 Bg4 7.h3 Bf3 8.Qf3 e5 9.de Bb4 10.Bd2 Bc3 11.Bc3 Ne4 12.Bb4 bc 13.Bc4 Qb6 14.a3 a5 15.Bd6 Nd6 16.ed I'm a little mystified that 16...,dc isn't considered. I'm happy that Black is fine after 16...,Nd7 or 0-0 but maybe I'm missing something straight forward or am just not strong enough to appreciate that 16...,dc isn't worth following. I looked at 17.Qe4+ Kd8 18.Qe7+ Kc8 but can't see anything clear for White. Rc1 is coming and the f7 pawn is hanging but with Nd7 isn't Black unravelling ?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #28 - 06/27/08 at 15:38:38
Post Tools
I fail to see the attraction of 5...Nxd5; it looks like a desperate measure to avoid a symmetrical position.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #27 - 06/27/08 at 07:26:27
Post Tools
Btw, I recently saw that a prospective opponent played 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 a6 5.cd5 Nd5?/?!.  He managed to draw thanks to superior endgame technique, but the idea was interesting.  

He followed up 6.e4 Nc3 7.bc3 Bg4?!/!? whereas I probably would have played 7...g6 with an inferior Grunfeld in the offing.  Does the idea of 5...Nd5 survive scrutiny?  

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #26 - 06/26/08 at 07:31:59
Post Tools
@Laramont,

Thanks for e-mailing him!  Maybe he could come and answer questions here himself?

RE: Markovich, I didn't see any mention of a Slav Exchange in NIC.

I've been looking at it a bit lately and am trying to decide which is best after: 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 a6 5.cd5 cd5

6.Bf4  This seems the most popular, but also has the most short draws attached to it.  Graham Burgess suggests this in conjunction with an early Ne5.

6.Ne5 This has occurred recently in high class games, but not very often.  I get the feeling that it's a bit too inflexible.

6.Bg5  This is the move I am beginning to like.  If I can prove that 7...Ne4 isn't very good for Black, I will definitely include it in my repertoire.

What do you all think?  Does Bologan or other commentators shed any light on the merits of these three moves?

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #25 - 06/25/08 at 16:27:41
Post Tools
Hi slates / Markovich,
I should have read the previous emails more closely ! I think we share a very similar understanding of the lines Bologan is getting at and agree his wording is confusing. I found his website and have sent an email asking if it can be clarified. if I get an answer, I'll pass it on.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #24 - 06/25/08 at 12:22:35
Post Tools
Laramonet wrote on 06/24/08 at 18:38:47:
Hi all,
I've received my copy and am very impressed. The introduction is excellent. Bologan's reverence towards Chebanenko is obvious while painting an eccentric but warm picture of his former trainer. I'm only a couple of chapters in, working through it slowly and comparing the content to the Martin DVD and Flear's book.
One question for anyone else who has the book: at the end of chapter 1 on the exchange there are the cryptic couple of lines "It seems to me personally that White's most promising continuation is 7.Rc1, after which Black should either play his knight to e4, followed by 9....Bf5, or play the bishop to f5 immediately. The variation with 7....Bg4 is experiencing difficulties at the present time." The confusion is that Bologan does not consider 7. Rc1 Bg4 and 7.e3 Bg4 he concludes is very satisfactory for Black ?! Is this a problem of translation or am I missing something ?

These days 7.Rc1 is preferred to 7.e3 because after the latter, 7...Bg4= pins the knight.  7.Rc1 Bg4 8.Ne5 +=.

For everone's benefit, there is an article in the latest NIC Yearbook, Number 87, on this very subject (did I already say that higher up?).

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #23 - 06/24/08 at 18:41:20
Post Tools
slates wrote on 06/12/08 at 08:38:28:
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 06/12/08 at 04:18:18:
Slates,

Thanks for the review!  I will definitely keep my eye out for Bologan's book.  What does he have to say about the exchange after ...a6?

~Cheers!

@ Smyslov Fan;

Victor Bologan covers 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.cxd5 cxd5 5.Bf4 Nc6 6.e3 a6 as well as 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 a6 5.cxd5 cxd5 6.Bf4 Nc6 after which he deems 7.Rc1 White's most promising move, suggesting Black continue by playing his Knight to e4 followed by 8e3 Nxc3 9bxc3 and then 9...Bf5 rather than ..Bg4 in this particular line. He doesn't seem to like the 'main line' 9...Bg4 here. Oddly, in his chapter summary he says he doesn't like 7...Bg4 (after 7.e3, if I'm following correctly but the context of the comment is throwing me) as it is in some difficulty of late, but the accompanying notes don't seem to bear that out, indicating instead a dislike of ...Bg4 in the line after Rc1, as mentioned above.
He seems to think Black is fine with 7...Bg4 in the first move order, incidentally; 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.cxd5 cxd5 5.Bf4 Nc6 6.e3 a6 7.Rc1 Bg4 where White hasn't stuck Nf3 on the board yet.
Alternatively, I could have misread/misunderstood this passage....?!  When time allows I'll look at this with a board to hand and check that this summary is as per the actual book content, although I think I've given you the basic idea of what he's saying.  He is obviously very up to date (quoting a 2007 Sakaev game in the last of the lines I mention above) and surely one of the world's leading authorities on all things Slav, so if there's anything wrong with the above it'll likely be in the way I've set it out, naturally!  At this point in time I don't know the nuances of the Exchange Slav any more than I know how to fly in the air unaided, but then that's what I keep buying these books for, to start learning.....I do, however, know that you have a vast depth of Slav experience and will be able to translate what I've said into something meaningful.  Smiley

@ Laramonet - as my post above shows, I found that section confusing too.....

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #22 - 06/24/08 at 18:38:47
Post Tools
Hi all,
I've received my copy and am very impressed. The introduction is excellent. Bologan's reverence towards Chebanenko is obvious while painting an eccentric but warm picture of his former trainer. I'm only a couple of chapters in, working through it slowly and comparing the content to the Martin DVD and Flear's book.
One question for anyone else who has the book: at the end of chapter 1 on the exchange there are the cryptic couple of lines "It seems to me personally that White's most promising continuation is 7.Rc1, after which Black should either play his knight to e4, followed by 9....Bf5, or play the bishop to f5 immediately. The variation with 7....Bg4 is experiencing difficulties at the present time." The confusion is that Bologan does not consider 7. Rc1 Bg4 and 7.e3 Bg4 he concludes is very satisfactory for Black ?! Is this a problem of translation or am I missing something ?

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #21 - 06/19/08 at 07:20:37
Post Tools
slates wrote on 06/05/08 at 16:17:40:
Well, apart from a brief review at BCM's site, I have just found this;

http://www.chessvibes.com/books/review-the-chebanenko-slav-according-to-bologan/

Thanks Gabriel, that review's been up a while now and is helpful enough, although also worth reading are the responses below it and the comments in this thread.  I think it's a great book, although I'm reading it in conjunction with 2 other opening books (QGA, Vigus) at the minute so am not really getting the most out of my study time!

If you're new to this defence there's also Glenn Flear's 'The ...a6 Slav' to consider, and some introductory coverage to the Chebanenko in Flear's Starting Out The Slav & SemiSlav, a book I recommended to you in the Vigus thread; might be worth getting to cover a couple of options.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #20 - 06/19/08 at 03:21:31
Post Tools
There is a review on Chessvibes by Arne Moll from the perspective of an "average chess player". Smiley http://www.chessvibes.com/books/review-the-chebanenko-slav-according-to-bologan/

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #19 - 06/18/08 at 02:25:56
Post Tools
Some initial impressions:

I received the Bologan Chebanenko yesterday, and I am slightly disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, the book appears to be a solid effort, and gives valuable historical perspectives. However, if you are looking for real “answers” like in Sakaev’s books then you will be disappointed. Bologan is rather ambiguous over some of the really critical stuff (I refer especially to 5. c5 Nbd7 6. Bf4 Nh5 and some parts of  5. e3 b5), and you somehow get the feeling he wants to keep some secrets here. He also does not cover the lines mentioned by Ward in Dangerous Weapons.

will post more thoughts when i have time to read this carefully, but so far this book scores at most 7/10 for me...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo