Latest Updates:
Normal Topic To Gallagher or not to Gallagher (Read 3652 times)
MarinFan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: To Gallagher or not to Gallagher
Reply #8 - 06/20/08 at 08:29:05
Post Tools
Does either book give some guidance of how black should react when white fights against the f5 break in Petrosian and h3 systems?
For example was looking at a recent Hebden game in BCM, which went

Event "BCF-chT 0708 (4NCL)"]
[Site "Sunningdale"]
[Date "2007.09.15"]
[Round "3"]
[White "Rajlich,Iweta"]
[Black "Hebden,Mark"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Eco "E92"]
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 0-0 6.h3 e5 (I wonder if there might be something for black in 6...Na6 7.Bg5 c6, got a bit of thing for Na6 at moment)7.d5 a5 8.Bg5 Na6 9.Be2 Nc5 10.Nd2 Bd7 11.Nb3?! Na4 12.Nxa4 Bxa4 13.Bd3 Qe8 14.g4(This is the idea concerned about. In this game some of white's moves are a bit strange, and black can equalise later)14... Nd7 15.Bc2 f5 16.Be3 fxe4 (16...Bxb3 17. pxN pxp 18Bxp Nc5 and black has no problems)17.Nd2 Bxc2 18.Qxc2 c6 19.dxc6 bxc6 20.Nxe4 (even here black has reasonable play for pawn after 20...d5)

Bye John S

IP Logged

Chess_Addict

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 06/18/08 at 23:45:02
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 06/18/08 at 22:31:01:
Mastering the King's Indian by Bellin and Ponzetto is great, if you can find a used copy (good luck!).

Yes, I totally agree. I have the italian edition of the book and it really explains very well ideas and plans. In Italy it was part of a series (only by Ponzetto) which had the intent of covering openings according to the pawn structure rather than the variations. Best part was that most of the book don't require a chess set as there are no moves (except for the games of course). Each pawn center has it's strategical and tactical themes explained with a diagram where only pieces involved are presente (e.g. no kings in not required) covered in arrows.
Unfortunately to my knowledge there are only 2 other books in the series (in italian), one about ruy lopez and one about benko+benoni.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #6 - 06/18/08 at 22:31:01
Post Tools
Mastering the King's Indian by Bellin and Ponzetto is great, if you can find a used copy (good luck!).

IP Logged

Lou_Cyber

"I didnīt understand that.
It must be true."

Reply #5 - 05/19/08 at 09:32:19
Post Tools
In my opinion trouble of KID literature is that itīs only concentrated on the white or the black side.

Gallaghers PTKID and Golubevs UTKID are both great repertoire books for black, and I couldnīt say which is better. As long as I follow their suggestions I donīt need much more. If I would have to buy only one of them I would look at the variations covered and decide on the one which covers most of my preferred variations.

But as I donīt like some of their lines e.g. against the Saemisch I have to look for more information. But where? There are books on the Saemisch and the Fianchetto. But there are mixed reviews on these books, and both seem to look at the KID from the white side of the board.

I would love to have something as the three books from Psakhis on the French, which cover all lines with a "neutral" view.

At the KID, there only seems to be Gallaghers "Starting Out" book. I donīt have it and itīs meant to be an introduction to the KID, nothing more. Any suggestions this way?

If you try, you may lose. If you donīt try, you have lost.

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #4 - 05/19/08 at 03:27:35
Post Tools
trw wrote on 05/18/08 at 13:43:30:
which book do you prefer and why? I'm also looking to buy one more KID book. I mostly just want something that generally covers the lines (up to date or not).

I think Gallagher's book gives you the best detailed summarization of the ideas involved in the KID. The games have tons of narrative along with the analysis. With Gallagher I think you will really feel as if you are being taught along in his games.

If you are only interested in lines, then you may like Golubev's better, but I think that Gallagher's explanations as to why you play what you play is better.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #3 - 05/18/08 at 23:27:58
Post Tools
trw wrote on 05/18/08 at 13:43:30:
which book do you prefer and why? I'm also looking to buy one more KID book. I mostly just want something that generally covers the lines (up to date or not).

I don't have the book, but Battle Plans in the KID by Andrew Martin  seems to be the kind of book you are looking for.

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/18/08 at 13:43:30
Post Tools

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #1 - 05/18/08 at 02:06:02
Post Tools
Overall, I think that Gallagher's book provides the best thematic and systematic outline of the King's Indian Defense.

I have it and I think it is still better than Golubev's. But there is no harm in having both.

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

To Gallagher or not to Gallagher
05/17/08 at 05:51:16
Post Tools
Hi All,
To Gallagher or not to Gallagher is the question!!  What do people think of the book on the KID by Joseph Gallagher?  Which lines are still good and which aren't?  Ect!?!?!? 
Thanks ahead of time,
Zatara

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo