Latest Updates:
Normal Topic QGE (Read 3391 times)
drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Re: QGE
Reply #9 - 05/25/08 at 16:28:35
Post Tools

Examines in-depth strategies of both the Nf3 & Ne2 variations.

Worthwhile for both side of the coin.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 05/25/08 at 13:15:20
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/19/08 at 19:14:45:
Two more sources to consider with chapters on the "QGE": Kasparov's DVD on the Queen's Gambit, and Shereskevsky's Soviet Chess Conveyor (both with Nge2/0-0/f3 setup I think). Haven't studied either yet, but both products have good reviews.

There is alsop a chapter on this in Berliner's infamous "The System". In my opinion this is enlightening on early move orders (first 8 moves or so) but not at all on the further play.

Shereshevsky text is an astonishing piece of work. Of course rather dated, but the content remains highly instructive.

Berliner book - er, well. hmmm. Game Estrin-Berliner a work of genius, but his system isnt much of one. A paradigm that isn't.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #7 - 05/25/08 at 12:42:59
Post Tools
There's a Chessbase CD by a certain IM Heinrichs, well worth your time.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #6 - 05/19/08 at 19:14:45
Post Tools
Two more sources to consider with chapters on the "QGE": Kasparov's DVD on the Queen's Gambit, and Shereskevsky's Soviet Chess Conveyor (both with Nge2/0-0/f3 setup I think). Haven't studied either yet, but both products have good reviews.

There is alsop a chapter on this in Berliner's infamous "The System". In my opinion this is enlightening on early move orders (first 8 moves or so) but not at all on the further play.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #5 - 05/19/08 at 13:46:28
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 05/19/08 at 10:02:26:

There is also a good chapter in Yermolinski's road to chess improvement.

While there are some common themes, no doubt, do bear in mind that Yermonlinsky focuses more the Nf3 version than the modern Nge2 version.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #4 - 05/19/08 at 13:45:19
Post Tools
Dangerous Weapons offers a couple of lines for Black...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 05/19/08 at 10:02:26
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 05/19/08 at 09:50:37:
And I suspect its 'McDonald', rather than 'McDonalds'. Though heard a rumour he is offering free fries with his new french book.

Yes he does, rumour has it that it carries explosive content:

Wink

There is also a good chapter in Yermolinski's road to chess improvement.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #2 - 05/19/08 at 09:50:37
Post Tools
NIC did a CD on it if I remember (not at home).

Ward covers it a bit in his QG book iirc.

Best is Sadler, so you are not missing too much.

Think a previous thread mentioned a structure type book on this. Maybe you could trawl through. By a US author I think, sorry bit vague. Someone raved about it here. Post back if you find!

And I suspect its 'McDonald', rather than 'McDonalds'. Though heard a rumour he is offering free fries with his new french book.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #1 - 05/19/08 at 08:03:57
Post Tools
McDonalds has quite a good chapter on it in his starting out book, albeit from a black perspective. It may be too basic for you though as it is a real starting out book.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

QGE
05/19/08 at 06:24:03
Post Tools
Am I missing something or are there really no in-depth books about the Queen's Gambit Exchange (QGE) variation? Sadler's Queen's gambit book has some discussion and Cox (1.d4) and Dunnington (Attacking with 1.d4) have some discussion on it and I play it mostly on the basis of these two.  I've also seen the Chessbase CD and wasn't all that impressed (poor presentation and structuring of the material, the author doesn't really guide you).

Admittedly the good thing in a way is that I get away without really knowing too much against my usual 1900-2300 opposition, because the structures are really simple, but wouldn't it be even better if I understood them...? The thought occured to me (yet another time) while playing an FM yesterday and sweating about whether he'd have some good defence prepared or whether he would understand what he had to do (neither of which he did, thus he lost).

Still, doesn't anyone have any recommendations for useful sources? I guess it's too much to ask to have such a great book as e.g. the QID book by Wells on every opening, but maybe this is where one can hope some publisher would write "Challenging the QGD" or "The QGE explained"...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo