Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 'King's English' question (Read 1520 times)
Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Re: 'King's English' question
Reply #2 - 06/01/08 at 09:18:54
Post Tools
Many thanks for this -- very useful. The L--F game had somehow escaped me even though I've got the 4th edn of [i]Flank Openings[/i]. I'll try to get hold of the other sources you mention -- I'm intrigued by the fact that although it's not wildly common, GMs (including one of my 'Flanker' heroes, Blatny) do play this way as White, so perhaps it's not too unreasonable a try ...

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Re: 'King's English' question
Reply #1 - 05/31/08 at 17:46:18
Post Tools
The line with 7. c4 (plus Nc3; the other stuff strikes me as feeble) immediately makes me think of a game Lombardy-Fischer, which was given long ago (by Raymond Keene in "Flank Openings") as a model game for Black, but ECO thought White was slightly better out of the opening.  It was lightly annotated recently by Timman (in NIC); I think his "take" was that it was about equal after the opening.  More generally I think there may be some relevant stuff in the Closed Sicilian/English chapter of Andrew Soltis's "Pawn Structure Chess," as well as in the Keene book (another game I recall from the latter is Petrosian-Larsen, involving the apparently dubious ...c6 instead of Fischer's ...Nc6).

I prefer 4...d6, so that if 5. d4 c5 6. dc Qa5+ followed by ...Qxc5 White will have to watch out for ...Ng4 (but if White isn't going to play d4 it presumably makes no difference).
« Last Edit: 05/31/08 at 19:56:01 by kylemeister »  

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

'King's English' question
05/31/08 at 17:30:23
Post Tools
I’ve been looking recently at 1 Nf3 Nf6 2 g3 g6 3 b3 (instead of my usual 3 b4!?), and thinking about what to play after 3 …Bg7 4 Bb2 0-0 (4 …d5 5 c4!) 5 Bg2 d6. I appreciate 6 d4 is probably strongest; I’m wondering though about the status of the English lines after 7 0-0 e5 7 c4, and also alternatives here such as 7 d3 Nc6 8 Nbd2 followed by a quick or immediate c4 or e4, according to taste. Has this any bite from White’s point of view? Is it covered in any ‘strategical repertoire for White’ books? (The ChessPub coverage is scant.) Any suggestion of key plans/model games would be welcome.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo