Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Review on chesscafe of the e4-e5 section (Read 1351 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Review on chesscafe of the e4-e5 section
Reply #2 - 06/07/08 at 14:19:21
Post Tools
micawber wrote on 06/05/08 at 18:22:21:
(3) Hansen may have overlooked that the forum discussion's have been collected in a special database that can be downloaded from the subscription area (november 2007 update).
This provides easy access to valuable contributions of known experts on the KG like T. Johansson and M. Jensen.
. Together with the regular contributions, the coverage can hardly be called sparse.

This occurred to me as well. Then I decided to understand Hansen's statement as described by Drkodos.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Re: Review on chesscafe of the e4-e5 section
Reply #1 - 06/06/08 at 18:32:36
Post Tools
It was hardly a critical or a negative remark by the reviewer, and at the same time I concur with the perspective because TO ME, the coverage is a bit sparse (many missing alternatives (possibilities) in many lines -- but so what? what opening is not like this?). 

Coverage IS sparse because high level games are sparse (as stated by the reviewer).

There is no limit to what people can achieve when one is not concerned with who gets the credit.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Review on chesscafe of the e4-e5 section
06/05/08 at 18:22:21
Post Tools
Carsten Hansen has reviewed the (subscribers) 1.e4,e5 section.
As we might have expected the review is rather favourable.
However I noticed the following text:

".... the hosts have covered the subject quite well. I only noticed sparse coverage of the King’s Gambit, but you can hardly fault Kosten, since it is hardly a topical opening at any level".

I want to make three remarks with regard to this quote:
(1) O. Renet's novelty in the KG-declined was of such quality that it caused Marin to rewrite a chapter in his e4-e5 book. And this was not the only analytical contribution from Olivier to the KG.
(2) The KG-discussion on this forum produced a record length thread with many participant contributing interesting idea's. So at least quite a few forum members have taken an interest in this "not topical opening".
(3) Hansen may have overlooked that the forum discussion's have been collected in a special database that can be downloaded from the subscription area (november 2007 update).
This provides easy access to valuable contributions of known experts on the KG like T. Johansson and M. Jensen.
. Together with the regular contributions, the coverage can hardly be called sparse.
« Last Edit: 06/06/08 at 07:06:16 by micawber »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo