Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ABC of the Benoni DVD (Read 28846 times)
cyronix
Ex Member

Re: ABC of the Benoni DVD
Reply #25 - 10/06/08 at 18:54:23
Post Tools
well, the benoni is very well playable for me,
but I hate the symmetrical english (as black, as white I love it Smiley)

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/05/08 at 18:24:43
Post Tools
books that cover some variations against the anti benoni:

symmetrical english
and d4 deviations

I've also decided to play the benoni again btw, my absolute mainweapon now, before I played the QGD, the QGD is a very correct opening,
you can equalise very well in it, but not much more.
I think the benoni is perfectly playable, I don't know why everyone fears the flick-knife so much, the positions in modern mainline and fianchetto are equally dangerous in my opinion, and still you can very well play for a win!!! And I like these benoni positions very much anyway! The benoni must be playable at any level!
I see Ivanchuk, Topalov, Alekseev still using it on top level, from time to time, there is no refutation!

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 06/25/08 at 22:41:53
Post Tools
Does Martin Cover the Anti-Benoni-lines ?
Does anyone know a source where the antibenoni lines are covered?

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 06/25/08 at 18:22:06
Post Tools
I also have the modern benoni DVD my mr martin

It's great for introductory purposes.. Too patchy to be a standalone source for playing the thing with black though..

I'd give a 7 out of 10 while for comparing purposes, I'd give an 8 to the Czech Benoni DVD and a 9 to the Queen's Pawn Openings from Black's point of view (which would be a 10 if the Relange vs Svetuskin game was missing)

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #21 - 06/23/08 at 02:09:56
Post Tools
Completely the opposite.  It is you who are saying that if White wants a boring game he can avoid the Benoni by not playing d5.  So what?  White can play any number of boring openings and avoid lots of Black defenses; its his perogative and not much Black can do about it.  My only point is that once we actually get to a Benoni, then Black is going to have chances to mix things up.  Unlike the French, there is no exchange variation of the Benoni and, by definition, if you get a Benoni on the board you're going to have an asymmetrical pawn structure.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #20 - 06/23/08 at 01:58:13
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 06/23/08 at 01:22:15:
Black can, if he so desires, play 2..e6 instead and wait for c4 before playing ..c5.

Sure. But Black still may meet some tedious lines.
Your logic resembles "the Classical French contains no boring lines, because 3.exd5 is not a Classical French." And the French Exchange is not necessarily boring either. You seemed to argue that the Benoni is a fullproof remedy to avoid boring positions. That is not the case.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #19 - 06/23/08 at 01:22:15
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 06/16/08 at 02:17:59:
LeeRoth wrote on 06/15/08 at 22:40:27:
there are no exchange variations in the Benoni and no boring lines. 

Play can become rather boring if White answers x...c5 with y.c3.

I was talking about the Modern Benoni.  But not sure I follow in any event.  If you're talking about something like 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.c3, then that is not a Benoni (unless White is later going to play d5), it is not necessarily boring, and Black can, if he so desires, play 2..e6 instead and wait for c4 before playing ..c5.       

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #18 - 06/19/08 at 02:46:54
Post Tools
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.cxd5 d6 6.e4 g6 7.Bd3 Bg7 8.h3 a6 9. a4 Nbd7 10.Nf3 and one advantage of Nh5!? immediately is revealed after 11.Bg5 Bf6 12.Be3 Ne5 13.Nxe5 (iso 13.Be2) Bxe5 14.Qd2 (14.0-0 Nf4) 0-0 15.0-0 and White has not been able to play f2-f4 yet. In a 1985 game 15...Re8 was played and Black went on to win.
I would think that a DVD is an excellent medium to point out the differences between the two lines (excluding or including castling). If Martin failed to do so he has missed a golden opportunity imo. I mean, the only thing he has to do is to shift two kings and two rooks!

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #17 - 06/17/08 at 06:28:27
Post Tools
I just got this.

Had a brief look at a couple of the videos.

Somewhat surprisingly, Martin has a fairly high opinion of the Fianchetto line against the Benoni. He thinks it's not without venom. I have always felt the same way (and so does, I might add, our own V.Mikhalevski). White can therefore play the Catalan with the move order 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. g3 without fearing too much 3...c5.

Not many people share the same opinion it seems.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - 06/16/08 at 02:17:59
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 06/15/08 at 22:40:27:
there are no exchange variations in the Benoni and no boring lines. 

Play can become rather boring if White answers x...c5 with y.c3.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 06/15/08 at 23:23:43
Post Tools
thats RIGHT!  even the BDG is sound at club level   Wink  the only problem i have with the benoni is white can avoid it, however usually that allows black the initiative.  i guess i should get the dvd and Watson's book.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #14 - 06/15/08 at 22:40:27
Post Tools
You worry too much.  Smiley  At amateur levels, the Benoni is perfectly playable.  Whatever the theoretical verdicts, Black usually manages to get enough activity to make a game of it.  Plus, its a good opening to have in your arsenal when you really need to win.  As many have pointed out, there are no exchange variations in the Benoni and no boring lines.  Check out Watson for repertoire suggestions and, even more importantly, repeated illustrations of the tactical resources Black has at his disposal.        

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 06/15/08 at 18:52:42
Post Tools
i have Kinsman's benoni book, and it covered all the lines, however it did not give much hope on the modern main line and the flick knife.  i will have a look at the other books.  maybe the benoni will rise again.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #12 - 06/15/08 at 17:30:37
Post Tools
wcywing wrote on 06/15/08 at 17:20:58:
so i guess it is safe to say, it is a good intro to the benoni, but you will need more study material?  however most benoni books does not inspire much hope.  maybe the books and dvd balance each other out.  maybe i should just stick with the king's indian.   Roll Eyes 

Hearing about the covered lines one gets the impression that it's the video introduction to John Watson's "Guide to the Moden Benoni", which really is a good book. Aside from Watson there's at least two other recent books I would consider: I've never looked at Vegh's Modern Benoni (Starting Out), but I liked the King's Indian 4-pawns attack book he co-authored. And then there's the Modern Benoni Revealed by Palliser, who is a good and dilligent author, so that's another option.

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 06/15/08 at 17:20:58
Post Tools
so i guess it is safe to say, it is a good intro to the benoni, but you will need more study material?  however most benoni books does not inspire much hope.  maybe the books and dvd balance each other out.  maybe i should just stick with the king's indian.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo