Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ABC of the Benoni DVD (Read 20715 times)
naughtyknight

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: ABC of the Benoni DVD
Reply #40 - 10/25/08 at 19:45:21
Post Tools
I understand people's complaints about DVD's in general... and yet, I tried to learn an opening from a Starting Out book recently, and failed to connect with the opening in any shape or form (It was the 'Modern').

I believe the 'plan' is to buy a DVD presentation of an opening you fancy, learn the DVD lines... play it a bit, then if you like it, buy a book to fill the gaps.

I really believe in this approach, as I'm learning the Benko from an Andrew Martin DVD, and I'm finding it more interesting than ploughing through a theoretical work.

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 10/25/08 at 01:44:23
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 10/25/08 at 01:23:33:
wcywing wrote on 10/22/08 at 23:44:10:
alumbrado wrote on 10/08/08 at 11:01:48:
Well, there is certainly a famous game Korchnoi-Kasparov from, I think, the Lucerne Olympiad in 1982.  It was one of the games that turned me on to playing the Modern Benoni.

yea, that game was exciting.  however i find it ironic that Kasparov no longer plays it, then he demolished every benoni player with the flick knife and scared everyone for a while from playing it, for a while anyway.  

I, too, was inspired by that game.  The young Kasparov really was a force of nature.  And the scary thing is that after being tempered in the forge of five world championship matches with Karpov, he got even better.

no one could have stopped until Kramnik, i hope he comes back to chess, just imagine him in a match against Carlsen, win or lose Carlsen will be even stronger.  maybe Kasparov will play the Benoni again.   Grin

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #38 - 10/25/08 at 01:23:33
Post Tools
wcywing wrote on 10/22/08 at 23:44:10:
Well, there is certainly a famous game Korchnoi-Kasparov from, I think, the Lucerne Olympiad in 1982.  It was one of the games that turned me on to playing the Modern Benoni.

yea, that game was exciting.  however i find it ironic that Kasparov no longer plays it, then he demolished every benoni player with the flick knife and scared everyone for a while from playing it, for a while anyway.  

I, too, was inspired by that game.  The young Kasparov really was a force of nature.  And the scary thing is that after being tempered in the forge of five world championship matches with Karpov, he got even better.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #37 - 10/25/08 at 01:20:01
Post Tools
The only way to learn the Benoni is to play it.  At club level, it's an opening that's more about attitude than about theoretical knowledge.  Strive for the initiative, take chances, stay active and don't be afraid to sac.  You will be rewarded.  Of course, you'll also get crushed every once in a while, but that is the nature of the beast.  There are a couple of lines where you have to know enough theory not to get mauled right out of the opening.  But otherwise my advice would be not to get too hung up trying to memorize the theory.  

Just my opinion.  You may resume your normal programming.

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 10/24/08 at 21:24:46
Post Tools
MilenPetrov wrote on 10/24/08 at 15:01:08:
Hello, I got the DVD, but I am not impressed. For me it looks like a money making. I am not impressed byt he style of the DVD, as it is for other DVDs produced by Andrew Martin. For me it is better to get a Starting Out book and go go thru it instead of spending money for such a DVD. At least the games are available in the Mega and there are also a lot of hard commented games.

i guess the dvd did not inspire you.  has anyone have a good experience with chessbase dvd's?  i do think Martin is right about a dvd, it is easier to learn from it than a book.  however you will need a book for more indepth coverage, especially with the Benoni. 

IP Logged

MilenPetrov

Winnie the Pooh Rules
:)

Reply #35 - 10/24/08 at 15:01:08
Post Tools
Hello, I got the DVD, but I am not impressed. For me it looks like a money making. I am not impressed byt he style of the DVD, as it is for other DVDs produced by Andrew Martin. For me it is better to get a Starting Out book and go go thru it instead of spending money for such a DVD. At least the games are available in the Mega and there are also a lot of hard commented games.

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 10/22/08 at 23:44:10
Post Tools

IP Logged

flaviddude

Reply #33 - 10/22/08 at 22:45:10
Post Tools
Ptero wrote on 06/14/08 at 19:57:36:
Well, I got this DVD, as I thought I might find some inspiration in it, and also because I like Martin’s style of presenting material. I can say that Bonsai’s description matches this DVD exactly. Martin recommends the line 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.cxd5 d6 6.e4 g6 7.Bd3 Bg7 8.h3 a6 9. a4 Nbd7 10.Nf3 Nh5!? (an interesting and playable line that scores about 80% (!) for black in my database, though I feel white should be +/= after 11.Bg5) against the MML, and the line 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.cxd5 d6 6.e4 g6 7.f4 Bg7 8.Bb5+ Nfd7 9.a4 Qh4 10.g3 Qd8 against the Taimanov. There is not all that much to support these recommendations, about one game devoted for each, without going into too much detail. All and all this is a reasonable product, but do acknowledge that the coverage is very patchy.  

"Curse you red baron." as snoopy would say. I spent hours working on the system given against the MML and now it gets revealed on a DVD. It have scored very well with it. Now the white players are going to learn how to play against the variation. 

As far as the Taimanov is concerned the piece blunder variation is better than its reputation. I have improvements which I am not about to reveal. Sufficient that after the fashionable Kd2 line black can reach really messy positions where
steady positional players will feel totally confused but berserkers will really like the positions.

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #32 - 10/10/08 at 23:57:58
Post Tools
Cyronix -- I usually avoid the Benoni if I know that my opponent plays the Taimanov.  When I do meet it, I usually play Na6-c7.  But these positions can get dicey for Black, especially after f5.  So lately, I've been experimenting with Qh4+ a la Watson.  LeeRoth

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 10/10/08 at 12:46:08
Post Tools
I do not like Qh4+ played by Gelfand, although it provokes g3,
I do not think this weakening of the pawn structure is really in black's favor in the benoni, and is more or less a waste of tempo, when the queen just returns to d8.

The manoevuer with Na6 - c7 looks most natural to me,
helping to prepare b5 (or after the standard ... a6 a5 b5 axb maybe jump to b5 at some time), also the knight on c7 protects the e6 square.

The manoeuver Na6-b4 by Topalov looks more aggressive on first sight, but I am not sure what it really does there, especially when it gets attacked by Bd2 some time, but I am undecided on that move.

So the plan Na6-c7, a6, b5 looks good to me.

What's your choice/opinion btw? Smiley

LeeRoth wrote on 10/09/08 at 22:36:08:
Quote:
I give you some games:

Flick Knife:

Lalic - Kotsur 1997
Bareev - Topalov 2002
Bareev - Gelfand 2005

Thanks, but these three games feature three different black systems.  Which one do you prefer?

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #30 - 10/09/08 at 22:36:08
Post Tools
Quote:
I give you some games:

Flick Knife:

Lalic - Kotsur 1997
Bareev - Topalov 2002
Bareev - Gelfand 2005

Thanks, but these three games feature three different black systems.  Which one do you prefer?

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #29 - 10/08/08 at 11:01:48
Post Tools
Well, there is certainly a famous game Korchnoi-Kasparov from, I think, the Lucerne Olympiad in 1982.  It was one of the games that turned me on to playing the Modern Benoni.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #28 - 10/08/08 at 00:54:55
Post Tools
Quote:
Van Wely - Timman 2002

Isn't this the one in which Timman surprised Van Wely with an attacking idea practiced by Kasparov against Kortchnoi about 20 years before? I remember Timman saying that he considered Black's play unsound, but was sure that Van Wely was too young to know Kasparov's game well.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 10/07/08 at 18:10:46
Post Tools
I give you some games:

Flick Knife:

Lalic - Kotsur 1997
Bareev - Topalov 2002
Bareev - Gelfand 2005

Modern Mainline:

Georgiev - Gashimov 2007
Beliavsky - Petkevich 2004
Kurtsidze - Najer 2001

Fianchetto:

Van Wely - Timman 2002
Avrukh - Kamsky 2007

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #26 - 10/07/08 at 02:50:39
Post Tools
I suppose the Flick-Knife and the Modern Main Line are the main challenges to the Benoni these days.  So, if you don't mind telling, what are you playing against those two lines?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo