Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition (Read 55961 times)
Anonymous
Ex Member

Re: Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition
Reply #155 - 07/28/08 at 02:51:45
Post Tools
I think everyone knows that I am very upset with Aaggards ridiculous posts but I am also very upset with IM John Cox's ridiculous posts! Here they are:

He said that he doesn't see what Davies and Emms 1...e5 repertoire books have to do with Marin's 1...e5 repertoire books because he said they offer different repertoire lines! However, he is wrong and almost all of Marin's recommendations are also recommended in either Davies, Emms, or Kaumfan's books.

He said that choosing 5...exd4 after 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bc4 Bc5 4 0-0 Nf6 5 d4 is a no-brainer becuase Marin recommends playing this line from other move-orders. However, he is wrong and Marin does not recommend playing this line from other move-orders.

He said "I want Aagaard to admit that Marin didn't use all available sources that he should have used". I can't believe he said this after saying he didn't see what Marin's repertoire book had to do with Emms and Davies and thought he didn't need to use these sources.  

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #154 - 07/27/08 at 17:50:47
Post Tools
He cloned himself  Shocked

IP Logged

Anonymous2
YaBB Newbies

Anonymous's Sidekick

Reply #153 - 07/27/08 at 07:11:45
Post Tools
I accept your challenge.

What does author X say about this move? Why doesn't author Y mention that move?

IP Logged

Artyom_Ilnikov
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: A Test for Anonymous
Reply #152 - 07/26/08 at 10:27:34
Post Tools
Regius wrote on 07/09/08 at 05:27:34:
Hello dear Anonymous,

I have a challenge for you: I want you to post your analyses of the Gajewski Variation of the Main Line Ruy Lopez (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Na5 10.Bc2 d5) in full detail on this forum. They should be as detailed as possible, and don't just make the analysis a database dump - you should explain why you think White or Black is better in a particular position.

Any of the ChessPublishing Forum members are allowed to point out improvements over your analysis and any ommissions that you made it your analyses. And we are allowed to repeat any of your ommissions in consecutive posts, just so that you get the message.

If you are able to prove that there are no major ommissions in your analyses within 72 hours of posting your analyses, then maybe we will consider what you have to say in the future.

At the time of this post, Anonymous appeared to be only an annoyance, and had not repeated his whinging to a great extent. Therefore, Markovich understandably stood up for him.

However, Anonymous has become far more than an annoyance - rather a whinger and whiner if you ask me.

Therefore, I am asking you, Anonymous: Do you accept Regius's challenge? And don't count on someone else saving your skin this time. Either be a man for once and accept or decline and remain just a pest.

Your choice.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #151 - 07/26/08 at 09:38:53
Post Tools
Quote:
Aagaard is simply trying to save qualitychess but don't listen to his pathetic excuses!

this is too funny... I think you are overestimating your impact on chessworld.  Grin

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #150 - 07/25/08 at 20:25:58
Post Tools
Quote:
Aagaard is simply trying to save qualitychess but don't listen to his pathetic excuses!

Who's pathetic?  Doesn't this kind of ranting constitute a form of (anti)advertisement, which contravenes the rules of this forum?  Anonymous: you've made your point (sort of).  Now stop.   Angry

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Reply #149 - 07/25/08 at 20:02:24
Post Tools

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #148 - 07/25/08 at 15:13:25
Post Tools
Dear GM Aagaard,

playing 8.Nd2 was very funny and I think only one contributor on this site did not get the joke. It's a pity you did not try it against GM Marin though. Anon. is just jealous that you followed my advise (not that you need it, but Anon. until now has rejected it) to use 8.Nd2 to your advantage.
As far as I am concerned you only made one big mistake in your last post.
Quote:
I have long since given up on talking any sense to Mr. Anonymeous, as have many others.

This means that half of your post is superfluous as nobody but one needs to be convinced. In all humbleness I request you to always admit that Anon. is right in the future. This will make virtual life easier for everybody. See also HgMan's post above.
Ch.gr.,

MNb

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #147 - 07/25/08 at 14:30:39
Post Tools
Jacob Aagaard wrote on 07/25/08 at 09:28:03:
I have been honest all the way, admitted failures when they were there, but not when I seriously do not think they were there. I have been light hearted and put in a real effort answering questions honestly. Mr. A's way of talking to me has been impolite to say the least. I am not surprised that he cannot see this himself, it fits the package.

Yes... I'm kinda suprised. I would wager he has no experience with publishers, editors or authors outside the chess world or in general. Most won't respond or will be utterly nasty to you if they do - defending the principle 'we are right, you are wrong, shutup' all the way to the grave. Here Aagard has not only admitted mistakes but been respondingly consistently and kindly to all of your unbridled attacks.

About the game. 13.h4 Qd7 14.h5 Bxd3 15.Qxd3 Qf5 is not really better for White, I fear.

27.Rxf5 looks dangerous, but we thought that White should draw. The rook can never move, but probably Black cannot make great progress either.

I had believed I could play Re2 at some point, but the pawn ending after Kf8 and Re8 is drawn, so is Kg7 2.Re7 Re8 3.b4 Kf6 4.Rd7 Kg7! with repetition.

Even in a game where Black makes a sort of blunder with 9...Be7, missing 11.Qe2 preventing his intended ...Bg5 - White could not prove anything over the board. The extra pawn was a very weak isolated double pawn, and accurate defence neutralised everything.

What about though: 13.h4 Qd7 14. Bxf5 gxf5 15.h5 ?

Yes I admit Rxf5 is the odd looking move but I appreciate your response to it nonetheless.

I am hoping that over time enough people will appreciate a chess publisher who is honest, tries hard, has a sense of humour and listen to criticism. So, if this debate has lost us one customer, I am hoping that another will take his place. John, I and our authors will do whatever we can to provide him with the best possible chess material.

Jacob Aagaard, Quality Chess

I appreciate it! I think there is nothing better than a publisher who actively communicates with his customers - this is the benefit of chesspublishing being a rather small business. I know I emailed a certain author praising his work but pointing about 10 small errors I found and a rather large one. His response was so rude and ungrateful but in reality I was probably lucky to receive a response at all.

IP Logged

farg
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #146 - 07/25/08 at 13:36:33
Post Tools
what's so sad about this discussion is that "Mr. A" wasted all the time of the other Mr. A so that he could not tell us about his  "coming series - GRANDMASTER REPERTOIRE"  Cheesy

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #145 - 07/25/08 at 09:28:03
Post Tools
WARNING: This post might contain irony, be too long and discuss areas which are of some importance to some.

I have long since given up on talking any sense to Mr. Anonymeous, as have many others.

Those who know my books, DVD's or have just met me will know that I am a pretty humorous person, with a rather overdeveloped sense of irony.

Yes, 8.Nd2 is a random move. Look at it, I got exactly everything you could ever want and played like a dream, and it was still not enough to win!

Mr. A. does not see the difference between a move that we have analysed and discussed here on the notice board and a move played between a few 2100 in awful games with moderate results in a not very important line. Had we had this discussion before the book came out, it would of course be in it. I always said that based on the material we had at the time I do not think it was a mistake not to include it. I still don't.

He does not see the difference between what Kosten found unpleasant in an internet blitz game and the refutation in an opening. Kosten never said it was the refutation and even if he did, it would still not be the case. It is just a possible move, and Black, being a tempo down, will have a few problems to solve. I do not find them too hard to solve still.

Mr. A. has not proposed one single move himself, which makes you wonder about his level of chess understanding. I have no idea how strong a player he is, but if he is a weak player, this would excuse for some of the statements he makes. His research has proved to be excellent on the other hand.

Mr. A assumes that I am dishonest by default. He does not live in the same world as I - I assume that people are honest and well intended.

Mr. A. has no sense of humour. This should motivate him to stay of the internet altogether as most people approach it with their worst jokes, and people know a lot of bad jokes!

His thinks that because he bought a book he can be offensive, make demands, be unpleasant and still expect to be talked to like he was a royal guest in a five star hotel.

It is a great tragedy that he will not buy our BAD books anymore (I admit, we make them as bad as we can on purpose).

I personally thought he would appreciate that I tested how a grandmaster would react over the board to the terrifying 8.Nd2. Though I still see absolutely no advantage for White after analysing it, it does appear to be a little tricky in practice. If I even come across a situation like this again, I will make sure that 8.Nd2 is mentioned - if nothing else then to get one of my own games in a book, hehehe.

I have been honest all the way, admitted failures when they were there, but not when I seriously do not think they were there. I have been light hearted and put in a real effort answering questions honestly. Mr. A's way of talking to me has been impolite to say the least. I am not surprised that he cannot see this himself, it fits the package.

Unlike Mr. A I do not pretend to be 100% right about everything. I give my opinion honestly, but I am always open to the possibility that I am wrong. I am also curious and playful.

Mr. A is just right, and apparently the point was that Marin's book was bad. The reason why he is right has turned out to be irrelevant and changing from the Ponziani to the Ruy Lopez and so on. Because of this I suspected that Mr. A is indeed my wife, as I recognised the pattern of reasoning. "Jacob, you are evil and I am angry with you, and I will tell you the reason as soon as I find it."

I still think it was pretty funny.

Forgetting about Mr. A, the stereotypical Internet Troll and talking about the game the rest of you should consider this:

I am NOT a professional player. I run a small business and am a family man. I have taken two weeks holiday in my birth country, one to play a tournament where a lot of old friends are playing as well (costing me about 500 pounds), another in the countryside with my family. I like to play chess the same way most other amateurs do so, I just do it a little better than the average. If you look at my games you will see that I don't know even a third of the opening theory of the average guy on Chess Publishing, I don't take professional draws and in general I don't care that much about the result. I am just as happy when I lose as when I win - which incidently is one of the ways to win more often (I know easy to say, but harder to do).

About the game. 13.h4 Qd7 14.h5 Bxd3 15.Qxd3 Qf5 is not really better for White, I fear.

Per Andreasen, the commentator here, said that 14.g4 was dubious. He is a very friendly guy and tries his best to explain the games to the audience, but unfortunately I play a different kind of chess than he, and he seems to have understood almost nothing of it so far.

27.Rxf5 looks dangerous, but we thought that White should draw. The rook can never move, but probably Black cannot make great progress either.

I had believed I could play Re2 at some point, but the pawn ending after Kf8 and Re8 is drawn, so is Kg7 2.Re7 Re8 3.b4 Kf6 4.Rd7 Kg7! with repetition.

Even in a game where Black makes a sort of blunder with 9...Be7, missing 11.Qe2 preventing his intended ...Bg5 - White could not prove anything over the board. The extra pawn was a very weak isolated double pawn, and accurate defence neutralised everything.

I will be writing a repertoire book on 1.e4 next year, and I can promise that it will not be with the Ponziani, but that it will be as good as I can make it. 3.Bb5 will come on the board. If you study my games back from 1998-2003 when I wrote some opening books, you will see that I do practice what I preach, and that I both won and lost games with my own recommendations.

Other publishers reprint and translate books with plenty of mistakes knowingly. Some authors give repertoires with 5 second Fritz suggestions in critical lines - or say that "he you will have to find something" when there is nothing to be found. It is often seen that the entire repertoire cannot be defended.

Marin played his repertoire in the Olympiad and later in 2006 and 2007 I saw him play the recommended lines again and again, against 2700 guys as well, winning against some of them, like Tiviakov and Jakovenko.

Yes, chess moves on and Marin has (also) not written the perfect book. Unfortunately we could not effort Kramnik, so we had to settle. For this I expect no forgiveness.

Would I have made all the same choices as Mihail - no. I probably would take on f4 in the King's Gambit. I would also choose 5...Bxd4 over 5...exd4 in this Italian gambit. But I don't want to publish 15 times my opinion a year. When I publish Marin, I want to publish his opinions.

We are trying very hard to imprint honesty and integrity to our authors and to check as much as possible ourselves. I know of no one who respects his readers more than Mihail Marin, a man of total integrity, but perhaps lack of ability - just like all other authors. Chess publishing is not big businesss we cannot check everything accurately. There will always be failures, no matter how hard we try. If being open and honest about some failures makes our books bad compared to those of others who are "smart enough to keep shut" it is probably bad for business, but I will not exchange my integrity for an extra zero on the pay cheque.

I am hoping that over time enough people will appreciate a chess publisher who is honest, tries hard, has a sense of humour and listen to criticism. So, if this debate has lost us one customer, I am hoping that another will take his place. John, I and our authors will do whatever we can to provide him with the best possible chess material.

Jacob Aagaard, Quality Chess

IP Logged

Artyom_Ilnikov
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #144 - 07/25/08 at 08:12:33
Post Tools
Quote:
Here are all of Aagaard's ridiculous posts!

Aagaard called 8 Nd2 in the Ponziani a random and normal move even though Tony Kosten analyzed it and showed it refutes that line of the Ponziani

Aagaard tried to give improvements for Black in the 8 Nd2 line of the Ponziani. However Tony Kosten told me he doesn't agree with Aagaard's analysis and still thinks White has the edge.

Aggard called me his wife

Aagaard said John Emm's book Play the Open Games as Black is filled with simple mistakes when in reality it isn't and is one of the best opening books ever.

Aagaard played 8 Nd2 in the Ponziani in a tournament game! This is the very move Aagaard said was a random and normal move, wasn't important enough to include in the book, and tried to give analysis to why it doesn't give White an edge.

All of these reasons is why I have lost full respect for Jacob Aagaard and will not be buying any more Quality Chess products and will try to convince everyone else to do the same!

Whiner. Who cares?

I am guessing that you have also lost full respect for: Everyman Chess for giving books in 1996 in their list of products, Gambit for not updating their website enough, Chess Stars for imperfect English in their books, Batsford for not writing opening books for advanced players, Russell Enterprises for not publishing enough books and all other chess book publishing companies for being too amateurish.

You could write a book yourself, you know.

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #143 - 07/25/08 at 07:37:11
Post Tools
Just saw the Aagard game, quite funny, and Ihope Aagard will comment on this.
Anyway the Marin Book is really excelent and I will continue to buy qualtity chess books  Cheesy

IP Logged

Zaphod Beeblebrox
YaBB Newbies

Life is wasted on the
living.

Reply #142 - 07/25/08 at 07:11:48
Post Tools
Cheesy

Oh, and by the way:

Quote:
Aggard called me his wife

LOL! Smiley

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #141 - 07/25/08 at 07:02:42
Post Tools
Will this boycot include this forum? Because otherwise I suspect that you'll just ask which lines they propose.

"I will not buy any Quality Chess books ever again, but which line does John Shaw recommend against x in the King's Gambit?"

Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo