Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition (Read 56045 times)
Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Re: Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition
Reply #170 - 07/30/08 at 04:35:15
Post Tools
Quote:
I don't know if I could come up with the 64 worst omissions of Marin but I could probably find 64 things wrong with the book. Some of those would be omissions, some would be analysis that is incorrect, etc. Tell me if you want me to do this.

We'd love it.

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Reply #169 - 07/30/08 at 03:55:01
Post Tools
I don't know if I could come up with the 64 worst omissions of Marin but I could probably find 64 things wrong with the book. Some of those would be omissions, some would be analysis that is incorrect, etc. Tell me if you want me to do this.

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Reply #168 - 07/30/08 at 03:50:53
Post Tools
Aagaard, you said that Marin didn't use the book Play the Open Games as Black because it was dated and riddled with errors because it wasn't computer checked but then I asked why then did Marin use the book Play the Evan's Gambit which is even more dated and also not computer checked. You obviously didn't understand this question when I wrote this the first time.

You guys are such hypocrits! You guys say my posts are stupid and that they don't help the chesspub forum at all but in reality it is your guys posts which are stupid because all you do is criticize and that doesn't help the chesspub at all!

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Reply #167 - 07/29/08 at 22:02:22
Post Tools
GM Tony Kosten says he doesn't know why you guys are complaining about my posts and doesn't see anything wrong with them.

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #166 - 07/28/08 at 18:40:46
Post Tools
5 0-0 d6 6 c3 Bg4 is at least equal for Black, I think Markovich provided as good an analysis as any over at http://correspondencechess.com/campbell/hard/h990927.htm via the transposition 4 0-0 d6 5 c3 Bg4 6 d4 exd4.

Tim Harding provided an alternative analysis here, via the Scotch Gambit, 4...Bc5 5 c3 d6 6 0-0 (I think White can improve via 6 cxd4 in this move order, which is why Black usually prefers to meet 5 c3 with 5...Nf6) 6...Bg4.  http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kibitz75.pdf
Although the analysis differs slightly, the conclusion is the same.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #165 - 07/28/08 at 17:12:25
Post Tools
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote on 07/28/08 at 16:34:04:
I'm too lazy to look it up now, but doesn't the Scotch gambit transpose to the Max Lange? After 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Bc4 I think Marin suggests Bc5 entering the Italian game, whereafter 5.0-0 there is a choice between d6 and Nf6, the latter giving us the Max Lange. Probably this is the second mover-order to reach the Max Lange, unless Marin recommends d6, which he doesn't. Of course that line is (also?) good for black and probably even a safer way to reach equality than the Max Lange. However, I just wanted to point out that there are two distinct move-orders to take care of, not just one.

Kind regards

Hmm.  Yeah, you may be right.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #164 - 07/28/08 at 16:49:56
Post Tools
Quote:
I think everyone knows that I am very upset with Aaggards ridiculous posts but I am also very upset with IM John Cox's ridiculous posts!  

I am also sure that you will get upset by IM Vigoretto as soon he cares to answer your question about the Slav. Moreover I am sure you get a kick out of being upset.
Several newbies already have learned about Anonymous; they know what to expect for the future. In this respect this thread is very instructive. Moreover both GM Aagaard and IM Cox have enjoyed strong support. Like DD-OK has pointed out, Quality Chess has had quite some good advertisement for free. Still I second Micawber's proposal. It has been long enough.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Zaphod Beeblebrox
YaBB Newbies

Life is wasted on the
living.

Reply #163 - 07/28/08 at 16:34:04
Post Tools
I'm too lazy to look it up now, but doesn't the Scotch gambit transpose to the Max Lange? After 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Bc4 I think Marin suggests Bc5 entering the Italian game, whereafter 5.0-0 there is a choice between d6 and Nf6, the latter giving us the Max Lange. Probably this is the second mover-order to reach the Max Lange, unless Marin recommends d6, which he doesn't. Of course that line is (also?) good for black and probably even a safer way to reach equality than the Max Lange. However, I just wanted to point out that there are two distinct move-orders to take care of, not just one.

Kind regards

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #162 - 07/28/08 at 15:43:42
Post Tools
Anonymous2 wrote on 07/28/08 at 05:43:53:
Quote:
I think everyone knows that I am too upset with Aaggards sensible posts but I am also very upset with IM John Cox's  posts! Here they are:

He said that the Davies' and Emms' 1...e5 repertoire books do not cover many of the same lines as Marin's. He is right, but I don't want to admit it, so I made up an excuse that all of his recommendations are covered in other books, which I mentioned earlier.

He said that choosing 5...exd4 after 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bc4 Bc5 4 0-0 Nf6 5 d4 is a no-brainer becuase Marin recommends playing this line from other move-orders. He is entirely correct, but I dislike John Cox for writing a book for Quality Chess and therefore seek to argue with him over the least important of issues.

He didn't say "I want Aagaard to admit that Marin didn't use all available sources that he should have used", but I said that he did because I am a liar and I want to pull the wool over other posters' eyes. I can't understand why he would say this because I am so self-centred and don't care about what other people say.

Hope you enjoyed the translation.

It is a minor point perhaps, but actually, Anonymous is correct that Marin recommends that Black enter the Max only from the moveorder where White first castles, then plays d4.  Personally, I consider that a fairly grave defect in his proposed repertoire.  It does not affect the value of these books, however, which is considerable.

The simplest way to deal with Anonymous is to ignore his posts.  That is what I have done, having eventually realized that he is simply too juvenile or boneheaded, I do not know which or care, ever to shut up on these niggling points of his.  He really does not deserve to be paid attention to.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

DD-OK
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #161 - 07/28/08 at 13:52:20
Post Tools
It is not possible that both Mr A's (anonymous and aagard) are one and the same, and that the diabolical schemer planned all this, including the game with Nd2, in an obvious attempt to keep the discussion of Marin's book alive and to earn sympathay (and sales) from the readers?

I mean, a GrandMaster has to be pretty good at conceiving and executing complex strategic plans, right?

Anyway, it is a pretty good book.

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #160 - 07/28/08 at 08:14:52
Post Tools
Moderators
I think you should step in. Anonymous postings in this thread are unnecessary vindictive and abusive. Aagaard has been very patient in his replies. I suggest to cut off this thread at his last reply.

IP Logged

Anonymous2
YaBB Newbies

Anonymous's Sidekick

Reply #159 - 07/28/08 at 05:43:53
Post Tools
Quote:
I think everyone knows that I am too upset with Aaggards sensible posts but I am also very upset with IM John Cox's  posts! Here they are:

He said that the Davies' and Emms' 1...e5 repertoire books do not cover many of the same lines as Marin's. He is right, but I don't want to admit it, so I made up an excuse that all of his recommendations are covered in other books, which I mentioned earlier.

He said that choosing 5...exd4 after 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bc4 Bc5 4 0-0 Nf6 5 d4 is a no-brainer becuase Marin recommends playing this line from other move-orders. He is entirely correct, but I dislike John Cox for writing a book for Quality Chess and therefore seek to argue with him over the least important of issues.

He didn't say "I want Aagaard to admit that Marin didn't use all available sources that he should have used", but I said that he did because I am a liar and I want to pull the wool over other posters' eyes. I can't understand why he would say this because I am so self-centred and don't care about what other people say.

Hope you enjoyed the translation.

What does author X say about this move? Why doesn't author Y mention that move?

IP Logged

Mike Thomas

So many openings, so little
time!

Reply #158 - 07/28/08 at 05:30:49
Post Tools
Perhaps someone could sticky a user poll in the Discussion section entitled "The message board's most asinine posters. Read at your own risk!" We could include Anon and Gambit. Who else?

IP Logged

GrizzleBazzle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #157 - 07/28/08 at 03:53:01
Post Tools
Is it at all possible to have an ignore function added to this forum?

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Reply #156 - 07/28/08 at 02:57:08
Post Tools
Aagaard, this is a very serious matter and I don't appreciate you trying to make it into a joke.

I recommend that people don't buy any more qualitychess products and I recommend that people don't write any more books for them!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo