Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition (Read 57239 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition
Reply #50 - 07/08/08 at 04:53:09
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 07/07/08 at 12:03:15:
SorenJensen wrote on 07/04/08 at 18:32:47:
Anonymous reaction really is most peculiar.

He/she gets good advise on how he/she can benefit from the situation by doing some independent thinking (Mnb's suggestions for example) and even gets feedback from the publishers but to little avail - the individual remains irritated that not every move under the sun was covered.

At this stage I'm beginning to wonder if anonymous posts maybe should not be taken seriously but are meant as a parody of an increasingly common mindset

If so, it has been a monumental waste of the time of so many people who took his complaints seriously and spent time replying to him.

I believe the complaints were serious or at the very least semi serious.

There comes a point in every chessplayers' life when book moves end and independent thought begins or should begin.

By the way Chessbase Magazine # 124 is offering a repertoire with the ponziani, so I guess its time for those impulsive buyers to open the wallets and loosen the purse strings.

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #49 - 07/07/08 at 12:12:49
Post Tools
Yes, I did wonder myself at the outset if A's posts were parodic, and for that reason was never liable to respond to them.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #48 - 07/07/08 at 12:03:15
Post Tools
SorenJensen wrote on 07/04/08 at 18:32:47:
Anonymous reaction really is most peculiar.

He/she gets good advise on how he/she can benefit from the situation by doing some independent thinking (Mnb's suggestions for example) and even gets feedback from the publishers but to little avail - the individual remains irritated that not every move under the sun was covered.

At this stage I'm beginning to wonder if anonymous posts maybe should not be taken seriously but are meant as a parody of an increasingly common mindset

If so, it has been a monumental waste of the time of so many people who took his complaints seriously and spent time replying to him.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #47 - 07/07/08 at 08:40:52
Post Tools
He's doing the research himself as you can see from above  Grin
Don't let me started on the definition of "research"

4 pages of posts fighting on a line of the ponziani and its exclusion from a book!!

Anonymous - but not so anonymous as the other anonymous people - seems quite obsessed with it.. He may be overdoing it a little bit, specially by referring to known chess personalities without a sign of gentlemanship - e.g Aagard!! tell me why Marin did not do that.. (that sounds like stuff I heard in the army or something) - but otherwise he's just reasking a question that he feels is left unanswered..

I don't agree with him but he does not deserve a ban.. Only encouragement to do try finding answers by himself

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #46 - 07/06/08 at 00:59:52
Post Tools
This makes some sense.  I hire people to do my research, though, or I do it myself...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

linksspringer

Reply #45 - 07/05/08 at 22:11:15
Post Tools
My guess is that Anonymous is writing a repertoire book for black with the Slav and the Ruy Lopez as main weapons and furthermore dealing with every white deviation imaginable. Below is a small selection of Anonymous' posts. What do others make of it?

Quote:
What does Eric Schiller recommend against the London System in his book, Complete Defense to Queen's Pawn Openings?

What does Alexander Khalifman recommend against the London System in his book Opening for Black According to Karpov?

What do John Watson and Eric Schiller recommend against the accelerated London System, 1 d4 d5 2 Bf4, in their book How to Succeed in the Queen's Pawn Openings?

After 1 Nc3 Nf6, What does Bill Wall recommend in his his book, 1 Nc3 Dunst Opening?

What does Gary Lane recommend against 1 Nc3 in his book Ideas Behind Modern Chess Openings: Black?
What does Jacob Aagaard recommend agaisnt 1 Nc3 in his book Meeting 1 d4?

After 1 Nf3 d5 2 c4 c6 3 g3, what does the book recommend against 3...Bg4 and 3...Bf5. Also, after 3...Nf6 4 Bg2 what does the book recommend against 4...dxc4, 4...Bg4, and 4...Bf5?

How did 1 d4 d5 2 c4 c6 become known as the Slav Defense?

How did 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bb5 become known as the Ruy Lopez and Spanish Opening?
« Last Edit: 07/06/08 at 00:03:36 by linksspringer »  

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #44 - 07/05/08 at 21:29:53
Post Tools
64 worst omissions of Marin.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #43 - 07/05/08 at 20:35:29
Post Tools
I'll bite: what is the book about?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

GrizzleBazzle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 07/05/08 at 19:09:13
Post Tools
Quote:
If Marin had used the most important sources like Chesspublishing.com, which I am using for my book,

Wow

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 07/05/08 at 19:05:04
Post Tools
Wow, I am shocked that most poeple disagree with me. If you are going to come out with a 2nd revised edition, I thought it would have been best to cover all lines that need updating. I doubt Marin even knows about 8 Nd2. If Marin had used the most important sources like Chesspublishing.com, which I am using for my book, Marin would have known about 8 Nd2 in the Ponziani and could have included it in the book!  

This line of the Ponziani isn't the only line that Marin doesn't address in his 2nd edition! IM Andrew Greet refutes Marin's recommendation against the Center Game in his book Dangerous Weapons: 1 e4 e5! Why doesn't Marin address that in his 2nd edition???!!!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #40 - 07/05/08 at 15:38:46
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 07/05/08 at 01:49:58:
1. Don't take seriously. 2. Ignore. 3.Ban?

1.Yes.
2.Sometimes it is necessary to show that contributors like Anonymous are isolated exceptions. This thread is such a case. But usually I ignore him indeed.
3. No.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Zaphod Beeblebrox
YaBB Newbies

Life is wasted on the
living.

Reply #39 - 07/05/08 at 14:27:34
Post Tools
Quote:
Talking about "childish behavior that the anonymity of the internet affords"(Bibs)
we should not overlook that zaphod beeblebrox introduces himself to this forum
with an "anonymous" bashing ...

Hm... yes okay, that was not very nice. I've been hanging around on this forum for a few years now and never really bothered to post anything. Basically, because I don't have anything constructive to add to most discussions, and besides I don't have many questions to ask. However, I enjoy reading other posts a lot, and I am quite happy with this forum actually.

Now I thought it was funny to reply in this way I did. Nothing serious to get upset about I think, just some weird kind of humour. Personally, I find "Beating the open games" an amazing book, and I was quite surprised by all the negative comments after the first edition. It appeared that some lines were missing and a lot of people did not like that. Fair enough. But now there is a second edition where most of the holes of the first edition are fixed, so we should all be happy now, right?

"Beating the open games" has great prose, terrific explanations and above all, it is very interesting to read, unlike most chess books which are often a bit dull. And now there is even an improved edition with many more lines. I've seen the update on the site of quality-chess, and it looks really good. Therefore, I was really astonished by the complaints of the starter of this topic (whose name should not be mentioned), and admittedly, a bit annoyed.

If some people were offended by my very first post:  Kiss

Now please, leave me be. I've got a galaxy to rule.

Zaphod

IP Logged

CheckMate

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 07/05/08 at 13:42:26
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 07/03/08 at 18:50:15:
I really don't know if anyone here besides Anonymous feels this way.  I certainly don't, and I have "only" the first edtion of Marin's two-volume work, which I consider to be quite good.

That theory book which covers everything has not yet been written, nor will it ever be because opening theory is boundless. New moves will come and go in an ever succeeding progression. How can one believe that a single book shall deal with all these "random" moves as Aagard calls them? Nor do I understand why a feeble line of the Ponziani should obsess Anonymous mind so much. Surelly there are lots of more troublesome lines in the open games to worry about.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #37 - 07/05/08 at 13:22:55
Post Tools
Talking about "childish behavior that the anonymity of the internet affords"(Bibs)
we should not overlook that zaphod beeblebrox introduces himself to this forum
with an "anonymous" bashing ...

tracke  Huh

Btw, I agree with Markovich. Maybe anonymous ask too many (silly) questions
but at least he seems to be an ambitious, honest and serious chessplayer!

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #36 - 07/05/08 at 04:43:18
Post Tools
no surprise that this clown wishes to remain "Anonymous".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo