Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition (Read 56581 times)
Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition
Reply #5 - 06/26/08 at 13:18:56
Post Tools
Nice of you to react and in this way Smiley

But now you triggered my curiosity. What kind of repertoire will this be?

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #4 - 06/26/08 at 11:47:20
Post Tools
Thank you.

We are hoping to do better than this with our coming series - GRANDMASTER REPERTOIRE, which should be something for die hard theoreticians. Three volumes are planned out in the next 8-9 months.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #3 - 06/26/08 at 09:56:26
Post Tools
Well put, Jacob. I fully agree.

Btw, "Sveshnikov Reloaded" is the best opening book I've seen.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #2 - 06/26/08 at 08:09:00
Post Tools
Marin's purpose with the update was not to cover every existing move, but to provide the readers with the information they need to know. Random playable moves in less important openings are played all the time and it makes simply no sense to cover them all in a repertoire book, as no one would be able to remember it all anyway.

Mihail analysed 10.Qd2 in the King's Gambit because it was an important line, but ignored various lines that he found unimportant. In the first edition this included a move played by Baklan in the Exchange Ruy Lopez. It was then claimed that Mihail had overlooked this move, I think it was a random h3 at some point, but those who claimed this, had not spotted that Mihail had played Baklan after he had played this h3 move the first time, but before finishing the book. Baklan did not repeat this "dangerous innovation" and Mihail did not find it significant enough to include in the book.

Even when we ruthlessly cut away 95% of all material for the Sveshnikov Reloaded, we ended with a 300 page book on one of many lines in the Sicilian. In his two books Mihail is covering all of 1.e4 e5 from Black's perspective. To be able to do so you absolutely have to make some choices, and there is nothing that suggests to me that a normal move in the Ponziani covered in one of the many sources Mihail used for his book, should warrant special attention.

Jacob Aagaard, Quality Chess

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 06/21/08 at 20:29:13
Post Tools
Yes, I think you should lodge a complaint with the appropriate authorities.

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition
06/21/08 at 20:16:57
Post Tools
In Tony Kosten's June 2007 1 e4 e5 update, he analyzes the move 8 Nd2 after 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 c3 Nf6 4 d4 Nxe4 5 d5 Ne7 6 Nxe5 Ng6 7 Nxg6 hxh6 and says that 8 Nd2 isn't mentioned in Mihail Marin's book Beating the Ooen Games. Marin does not address this in his second edition! Why didn't Marin address 8 Nd2 in the second edition of his book? He used chesspublishing.com to get Oliver Renet's  analysis of 10 Qd2 in the King's Gambit Declined but he couldn't look at any other lines? I find it completely unacceptable!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo