Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition (Read 55986 times)
Anonymous
Ex Member

Re: Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition
Reply #65 - 07/11/08 at 03:23:27
Post Tools
I have finally decided to give this post a rest!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #64 - 07/10/08 at 23:47:22
Post Tools
Quote:
Aagaard, why didn't you answer my questions?

Aagaard, why do you refuse to answer these questions???!!!

Grin Grin Grin

Anonymous is born a few decades too late. He would have been perfect as a victim of Laurel and Hardy.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #63 - 07/10/08 at 22:02:05
Post Tools
Quote:

This line of the Ponziani isn't the only line that Marin didn't address. Here are two other lines that should have been addressed in the update!

A) In the update to A Spanish Repertoire for Black, why doesn't Marin adress this line of the Worrall Attack, 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bb5 a6 4 Ba4 Nf6 5 Qe2 b5 6 Bb3 Be7 7 0-0 0-0 8 c3 d6 9 Rd1 Na5 10 Bc2 c5 11 d4 Qc7 12 d5 Bd7 13 b3 Ne8 14.Nbd2 g6 15.Nf1 Ng7 16.Bh6 f6 now Marin only gives 17 h3 but gives Andrew Greet in his book Play the Ruy Lopez recommends 17 a4 or 17 N3d2. 

B) Andrew Greet refutes Marin's recommendation against the center game in his book Dangerous Weapons: 1 e4 e5? Why doesn't Marin Address that? Don't try to tell me it isn't an important line!

Why didn't Marin use sources like Play 1 e4 e5, Play the Open Games as Black, etc? Most other authors use these most important sources. If Marin had used these sources in the first place, he probably wouldn't have had to come out with a second edition!

Anonymous, drop it, for crying out loud.  Enough already.  This is a collaborative forum, not a star chamber. 

When a GM like Marin talks, I shut up and listen.  I don't quibble or haggle.  Take what Marin says for what it's worth, and it's worth a great deal.

Play chess, you know?  Or don't.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 07/10/08 at 21:22:42
Post Tools

This line of the Ponziani isn't the only line that Marin didn't address. Here are two other lines that should have been addressed in the update!

A) In the update to A Spanish Repertoire for Black, why doesn't Marin adress this line of the Worrall Attack, 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bb5 a6 4 Ba4 Nf6 5 Qe2 b5 6 Bb3 Be7 7 0-0 0-0 8 c3 d6 9 Rd1 Na5 10 Bc2 c5 11 d4 Qc7 12 d5 Bd7 13 b3 Ne8 14.Nbd2 g6 15.Nf1 Ng7 16.Bh6 f6 now Marin only gives 17 h3 but gives Andrew Greet in his book Play the Ruy Lopez recommends 17 a4 or 17 N3d2.  

B) Andrew Greet refutes Marin's recommendation against the center game in his book Dangerous Weapons: 1 e4 e5? Why doesn't Marin Address that? Don't try to tell me it isn't an important line!

Why didn't Marin use sources like Play 1 e4 e5, Play the Open Games as Black, etc? Most other authors use these most important sources. If Marin had used these sources in the first place, he probably wouldn't have had to come out with a second edition!

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #61 - 07/10/08 at 20:57:24
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 07/10/08 at 09:20:00:
Quote:
About the suggestion of banning Mr. Ano, look at this before you take a stand http://xkcd.com/386/

Like it! Dry!  Grin

No one ever bans the Village Idiot. 

Only pablum is purposely perpetuated when passionately polemic and highly petulant preaching is paralyzed.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #60 - 07/10/08 at 13:15:08
Post Tools
Jacob Aagaard wrote on 07/10/08 at 08:49:02:
I suspect that anonymeous is my wife. When the reason why something is unacceptable falls apart, the conclusion of it being unacceptable stays, but the way of reasoning changes continuously. In this way you can never win the argument, because for every answer you come up with a new fault appears.

I thought the original question was fair, even though the tone was a bit over the top.

It is true that Marin was getting remarks from us about what was important on ChessPublishing for the 2nd edition of the book, and that we made a conscious decision to omit 8.Nd2 on feeling.

However, and I really want to stress this, the 2nd edition was first and foremost a reprint. We were out of stock and asked Mihail to make a few corrections. He come back with 50 pages! Thinking of how much ill feeling we got from this - even though you can download it all for free on our website - I find it disrespectful to call Marin lazy.

About the suggestion of banning Mr. Ano, look at this before you take a stand http://xkcd.com/386/

We will continue to help our writers to write the best possible chess books as well as listen to our readers opinions about how this is done, but in the end we will always go with what we reckon is best.

Jacob Aagaard

Actually, this might be my wife.   Undecided  Sorry.

XKCD is classic!

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #59 - 07/10/08 at 09:20:00
Post Tools
Quote:

Like it! Dry!  Grin

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #58 - 07/10/08 at 08:49:02
Post Tools
I suspect that anonymeous is my wife. When the reason why something is unacceptable falls apart, the conclusion of it being unacceptable stays, but the way of reasoning changes continuously. In this way you can never win the argument, because for every answer you come up with a new fault appears.

I thought the original question was fair, even though the tone was a bit over the top.

It is true that Marin was getting remarks from us about what was important on ChessPublishing for the 2nd edition of the book, and that we made a conscious decision to omit 8.Nd2 on feeling.

However, and I really want to stress this, the 2nd edition was first and foremost a reprint. We were out of stock and asked Mihail to make a few corrections. He come back with 50 pages! Thinking of how much ill feeling we got from this - even though you can download it all for free on our website - I find it disrespectful to call Marin lazy.

We will continue to help our writers to write the best possible chess books as well as listen to our readers opinions about how this is done, but in the end we will always go with what we reckon is best.

Jacob Aagaard

IP Logged

Regius
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #57 - 07/09/08 at 23:01:20
Post Tools
I infer that you (Anonymous, that is) refuse my challenge.

To your credit, you probably did the right thing. Looking back at your most recent posts, when you do post chess analysis, it tends to be quotes from other books, without any individual analysis of your own (not that I have anything against this).

Excessive repetition of the same point may work on Uncyclopedia, but I strongly recommend you avoid it on this Forum.

And good luck with your repertoire books on the Ruy Lopez and Slav Smiley.

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Re: A Test for Anonymous
Reply #56 - 07/09/08 at 22:30:22
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 07/09/08 at 12:11:13:
Regius wrote on 07/09/08 at 05:27:34:
Hello dear Anonymous,

I have a challenge for you: I want you to post your analyses of the Gajewski Variation of the Main Line Ruy Lopez (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Na5 10.Bc2 d5) in full detail on this forum. They should be as detailed as possible, and don't just make the analysis a database dump - you should explain why you think White or Black is better in a particular position.

Any of the ChessPublishing Forum members are allowed to point out improvements over your analysis and any ommissions that you made it your analyses. And we are allowed to repeat any of your ommissions in consecutive posts, just so that you get the message.

If you are able to prove that there are no major ommissions in your analyses within 72 hours of posting your analyses, then maybe we will consider what you have to say in the future.

I propose that we lay off this guy.  He has a point, which he made with perhaps excessive persistence.  It's a free country, and this guy's entitled to his opinion.

Thanks you Markovich

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Re: A Test for Anonymous
Reply #55 - 07/09/08 at 12:11:13
Post Tools
Regius wrote on 07/09/08 at 05:27:34:
Hello dear Anonymous,

I have a challenge for you: I want you to post your analyses of the Gajewski Variation of the Main Line Ruy Lopez (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Na5 10.Bc2 d5) in full detail on this forum. They should be as detailed as possible, and don't just make the analysis a database dump - you should explain why you think White or Black is better in a particular position.

Any of the ChessPublishing Forum members are allowed to point out improvements over your analysis and any ommissions that you made it your analyses. And we are allowed to repeat any of your ommissions in consecutive posts, just so that you get the message.

If you are able to prove that there are no major ommissions in your analyses within 72 hours of posting your analyses, then maybe we will consider what you have to say in the future.

I propose that we lay off this guy.  He has a point, which he made with perhaps excessive persistence.  It's a free country, and this guy's entitled to his opinion.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Regius
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

A Test for Anonymous
Reply #54 - 07/09/08 at 05:27:34
Post Tools
Hello dear Anonymous,

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #53 - 07/09/08 at 03:06:35
Post Tools
thats it, i will play the ponziani and write a book too!   Grin  it will be the hottest opening, the greatest discovery since e4!

IP Logged

Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Reply #52 - 07/09/08 at 02:47:56
Post Tools
8.Nd2 is such a horrible omission that everyone is rushing to play the Ponziani against Marin!

Oh, wait...that's right, no one has played it against him for some reason!?!? That's weird. Especially since it is the refutation of the whole line!  Cheesy

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #51 - 07/08/08 at 12:33:15
Post Tools
Yes, but does it mention the all-important 8.Nd2 ?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo