Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition (Read 57211 times)
drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Re: Beating The Open Games 2nd Edition
Reply #80 - 07/15/08 at 15:20:56
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 07/15/08 at 15:18:03:
Anon just appears a leeching curmudgeon who is best ignored.

But who hath the will power to not striketh thy enter key?  Not me.

Easier stated than done, eh?  Wink

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #79 - 07/15/08 at 15:18:03
Post Tools
Dont think any posts of anon can be taken seriously.
Clearly a wind-up.

A bored kid who takes perverse pleasure in wasting people's time. Probably spends any non-school, non-chess time vandalising park benches and graffitiing bus stops.

Best if people on forums balance their own queries with helpful responses where they are able to contribute usefully. Anon just appears a leeching curmudgeon who is best ignored.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #78 - 07/15/08 at 14:22:21
Post Tools
Schaakhamster wrote on 07/15/08 at 14:00:31:
Repertoire books, by definition, make no claim on completeness.

To be honest, i'd be extremely scared if they did... can you imagine even for a second how many pages such a book would entail?! try 60,000 + pages (who knows how many authors and computers it would require)... and lets not even attach the price tag! By the time I get through reading it, maybe I could pay off my loan I took out to buy it! And of course by this point all my opponents have read it too... so it turned out the Ruy Lopez was the only non refuted e4 opening and we are playing the same line again and again cause we both know the ponziani is refuted.... Wink

anyways, in all seriousness I can't imagine why an author would set out to make such 'completeness' at best if it were achieved... in a few years certain analysis will not stand up - the nature of such books. I prefer my opening books to go over the main themes and perhaps express why mainlines are mainlines. It gives me ideas and I understand how better players play the opening. That is it. Sure sure if there is some new popular move out there I want to hear about it (if only in passing) but nothing more is generally required... I can go look it up and research it for myself.

sooo with that... if you took the amount of time anon that you have spent writing your posts (and undoubtedly checking for responses) i'm sure you could have written your own ponziani Nd2 chapter by now!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #77 - 07/15/08 at 14:00:31
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 07/15/08 at 12:34:25:
To be fair to anonymous, he does have a bit of a point.

As I see it, the great value of Marin's books is that you get to see a very strong player (by the standards of most authors) explaining with honesty and erudition how both players' understanding in general of an opening, and his own, have developed. To many people that is inspiring and educational in itself, and makes his books 'more than an openings book', and gives them a value considerably higher than most such tomes.

Other people do not value this quality so highly, presumably including anonymous. And he is right that as openings encyclopaedias these books are no better than very acceptable; on a par with Emms and only a little better than Davies, I would say. Looked at purely from that point of view, anonymous is perhaps right that in an ideal world a second edition would have looked at DW, chesspub and Greet (leaving aside Quality's generosity in making the second edition available free). But that isn't the chief merit of the books.

then he should buy those. I don't think that your starting out d4 (an excellent book by the way) has any ambitions to be one and neither does this book. Repertoire books, by definition, make no claim on completeness.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #76 - 07/15/08 at 12:34:25
Post Tools
To be fair to anonymous, he does have a bit of a point.

As I see it, the great value of Marin's books is that you get to see a very strong player (by the standards of most authors) explaining with honesty and erudition how both players' understanding in general of an opening, and his own, have developed. To many people that is inspiring and educational in itself, and makes his books 'more than an openings book', and gives them a value considerably higher than most such tomes.

Other people do not value this quality so highly, presumably including anonymous. And he is right that as openings encyclopaedias these books are no better than very acceptable; on a par with Emms and only a little better than Davies, I would say. Looked at purely from that point of view, anonymous is perhaps right that in an ideal world a second edition would have looked at DW, chesspub and Greet (leaving aside Quality's generosity in making the second edition available free). But that isn't the chief merit of the books.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #75 - 07/15/08 at 12:17:17
Post Tools
well for one Marin is not from the UK and therefor it could very well be he hasn't read these books or he doesn't find them usefull for writing his own repertoire book. Marin has used a lot of none-English books, perhaps we should slate Emms and Davies for not using them  Shocked.

I think Marin has writen an excellent book in which he isn't afraid to go his own way and do his own thinking.  A

nonymous his complaints are quite farfetched. I mean: ponziani and the center game for crying out loud! there is a reason that they aren't played in supertournaments (Which doesn't mean they aren't playable).

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #74 - 07/15/08 at 11:58:28
Post Tools
Why on earth WOULD Marin use sources which offer different repertoires for Black to his? I can see a case for checking popular White books so that readers are given suitable replies to the methods recommended therein, but what Davies and Emms have to do with Marin's book I don't see.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #73 - 07/15/08 at 02:19:25
Post Tools
drkodos wrote on 07/10/08 at 20:57:24:
No one ever bans the Village Idiot.  

the village idiot is the one who makes the rest of us look smart!  Grin

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #72 - 07/15/08 at 01:12:08
Post Tools
Quote:
Jacob Aagaard wrote on 07/14/08 at 16:28:00:
I apologise Mr. A., I don't have the time to write your book for you. You asked about 8.Nd2, I answered extensively. Don't think I will answer whatever you can come up with for this reason.

Jacob Aagaard, Quality Chess

Aagaard continues to make excuses and not answer my question on why Marin didn't use sources like Play 1 e4 e5, Play the Open Games as Black, etc!

I'm guessing, Anonymous, that this must be your first book.  I don't suppose you would treat us to a preview of your bibliography?  Or, indeed, any analysis that will be novel?  Anyone lined up to publish?  I hope your reviewers appreciate your books merits...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 07/14/08 at 22:20:14
Post Tools
Jacob Aagaard wrote on 07/14/08 at 16:28:00:
I apologise Mr. A., I don't have the time to write your book for you. You asked about 8.Nd2, I answered extensively. Don't think I will answer whatever you can come up with for this reason.

Aagaard continues to make excuses and not answer my question on why Marin didn't use sources like Play 1 e4 e5, Play the Open Games as Black, etc!

IP Logged

CheckMate

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #70 - 07/14/08 at 19:38:10
Post Tools
drkodos wrote on 07/10/08 at 20:57:24:
Only pablum is purposely perpetuated when passionately polemic and highly petulant preaching is paralyzed.

My I'm speachless!!!  Are you going on some really heavy stuff, drkodos?
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #69 - 07/14/08 at 16:28:00
Post Tools

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #68 - 07/11/08 at 10:29:04
Post Tools
Hmmmm, I found it!!!

He did it on purpose to reach 100 posts!!!

That must be the only logical explanation

IP Logged

Zaphod Beeblebrox
YaBB Newbies

Life is wasted on the
living.

Reply #67 - 07/11/08 at 07:27:49
Post Tools
Pity

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #66 - 07/11/08 at 06:53:40
Post Tools
Phew!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo