Latest Updates:
Normal Topic taking up shevy as alternative defense ?? (Read 3530 times)
Chessmoby

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: taking up shevy as alternative defense ??
Reply #7 - 07/08/08 at 10:29:52
Post Tools
thanx alot guys,

i didnt mean as an occaisional back up to my dragon but as a fully alternative defense so i may surprise my opponents alittle.

I aim to try and have a quite wide repetoire because it keeps em guessing!

Im buying the Emms book today so thanx very much!!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #6 - 07/07/08 at 22:27:55
Post Tools
If you don't mind to use a vulgar pronunciation, say "skavy".

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #5 - 07/07/08 at 07:27:30
Post Tools
PS it is Schevy, not shevy. The c is needed for upsetting foreigners who want to learn Dutch Wink

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #4 - 07/07/08 at 07:26:00
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 07/05/08 at 14:59:21:
If you want to play the Najdorf/Schevy combo, the best book is Emms's Play the Najdorf Scheveningen Style.  Against Bg5, Emms covers ..Qc7, so if you want to play the PP instead, you will need another source.  Everything else is covered.  Note, though, that the Najdorf/Schevy is a complicated defense and it's a big undertaking to try to learn it, and then also to maintain it, if you're only going to use it as an occasional back-up to your dragon.    

I'd combine the Emms' book with "the sharpest sicilian". The lines against Bg5, Bc4 and g3 in the latter are better imo, but with those two you have a complete repertoire with backup lines everywhere (the two books have almost no overlap).

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Regius
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 07/07/08 at 04:09:51
Post Tools
The Accelerated Dragon is another good choice as an alternative Sicilian for a Dragon player, although make sure you like facing the Maroczy Bind pawn structures as Black (Tiviakov explains them well for both colours in his DVD on the Maroczy).

You can even consider 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cd4 4.Nd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6!? as a surprise weapon, since the strong 6.Nc6! occurs about only one-third of the time. Many of your opponents will duck the challenge with 6.Be3 so that they can transpose to an Accelerated Dragon, which they are familiar with. And even if the opponent does find 6.Nc6 bc6 7.e5, the position after 7...Ng8 8.Bc4 Bg7 9.Qf3 f5 10.Bf4 e6 is worse, but not ghastly for Black. I wouldn't recommend playing 5...g6 very often, but you could probably get away with it in a few games.

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #2 - 07/07/08 at 02:44:05
Post Tools
play the Classical as a second defence. you really only have to learn 6.Bg5 and 6.Bc4 (admittedly, this is not trvial, but it's less than a whole new opening) because vs 6.Be2 and such you can play 6...g6. heading back to less dangerous Dragon territory.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 07/05/08 at 14:59:21
Post Tools
If you want to play the Najdorf/Schevy combo, the best book is Emms's Play the Najdorf Scheveningen Style.  Against Bg5, Emms covers ..Qc7, so if you want to play the PP instead, you will need another source.  Everything else is covered.  Note, though, that the Najdorf/Schevy is a complicated defense and it's a big undertaking to try to learn it, and then also to maintain it, if you're only going to use it as an occasional back-up to your dragon.    

IP Logged

Chessmoby

I Love ChessPublishing!

taking up shevy as alternative defense ??
07/04/08 at 21:16:10
Post Tools
I currently play the dragon but would like to ad a back up defense to e4 so i can vary my play against different styles of opponents

ie. anyone i knew would play 9.000  Grin

so....
i suppose if i play via Najdorf move order i must know 6.Bg5, the classical schevy, 6.Bc4, 6.f4 and 6.Be3 systems.

I am thinking of posibly playing the dreaded PP against 6Bg5 so i need some literature on that but i was hoping that all the other variations could be covered by one or 2 books

i understand that that the positional idea of the variation is to reply to White's play on the wing with a central counter in the form of b5-b4 destabalising White's central control.

is the variation solid (I wish for a solid alternative) but has good counterplay?

any words of advice for an aspiring schevy man?

ty very much!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo