Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dangerous Weapons: The Pirc and Modern (Read 9419 times)
JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Re: Dangerous Weapons: The Pirc and Modern
Reply #10 - 05/31/09 at 06:58:15
Post Tools
Boy, was this one worth the wait! Well I need to spend time studying it, but just from first reading I'm Smiley so far.

The first two chapters, Castling into the Argentine/150 attacks could be worth the price of entry alone. I'm glad the name Argentine attack is catching on!

Spurred on by the Jobava Game (PiB&W Game 60), I had tried this myself. Superb results in Blitz, but poor OOB, so I went back to early c6ing.

I stopped castling into it when I ran into 7.f3/8. Bh6/9. h4. It seemed an accurate move order, and I didn't find solutions in PiB&W. I analysed my game, and whlist not without resources, I found the formation with Nb1 and Kc1 very difficult to get at for Black, whilst White just gets on with it. I concluded Black needed to give up the Bc8 for Nh3 if possible, and try (with Qxa2), a Nbd7-b6-a4, but did not convince myself. Now James Vigus has an interesting and logical idea against it which I need a good look at.

Just eyeballing some of the ideas in Chapter 1, I have seem some gems, like meeting h5 with a g5 sac, or running the King down the escape tunnel via f7 and e8, enough to get me giving it another go I think.

Two more of the chapters were things I was planning to follow up myself, and now it's been done for me  Cool

One of these is 9. ...Kf8 in the 5. ...c5 Austrian. In PiB&W, James called it bizarre and gave it a ?!, but put an engine on it and you'll see Black isn't actually busted. So an interesting new option here, and definitely in the dangerous category (but for who  Huh)

The other is the delayed Spike, i.e waiting with Be3 before playing g4 to give Black the chance to castle into it. An interesting idea for White, and covered by two Richard Palliser chapters, the second covering when black doesn't castle. There might be enough for a White repetoire vs Pirc in these two.

The other White line given is a Classical with Bf4, written by Colin McNab. Boo hiss, what a traitor helping the White side out  Wink. I think though he is an ideal author for this, and I myself tend to use a classical Nf3 system when I meet my own defence.

Then  we've got 6. ...e6 vs the Classical (I've done well with Bg4 and c6 lines so I'm not sure I need this, but good for hippo fans),  a line vs the fiancetto, and a line vs 3. f3. The latter system might be a bit annoying for some Pirc players to meet, as the lines often move into structures more akin other openings (Anand use this against me [Ed: You shameless name dropper!]). 3. f3 c5 hasn't been covered much before, so thanks for that one.

All Pirc so far. I think the Modern got a short deal with only 3 chapters, but then Modern players can transpose into the Pirc. I would really like to have seem something Modern vs. White playing 3. c4, but the book is all 1. e4 focussed. We've got a line vs Bg5, one vs Bc4, and for White, 1. e4 g6 2. h4  Huh

So thanks Richard, Colin and James, I've got plenty to keep me happy here  Smiley

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #9 - 01/25/09 at 17:17:21
Post Tools
Suggesting one for Black:

1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d5!?

When I first met this (with White) I thought my opponent had something more alcoholic in his jug than the coffee it looked like  Grin

IP Logged

Unownasofyet
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 01/24/09 at 18:43:38
Post Tools
1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Nf3 Bg7 5. h3 is lots of fun for positional junkies (like me), and can explode in black's face if he isn't careful. I would definitely put it in there as an option for Theorist/Pragmatist (according to the Lars Bo Hansen scale) players.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #7 - 01/10/09 at 23:49:51
Post Tools
...of course, neither had to face 7.e5!

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Reply #6 - 01/10/09 at 22:45:52
Post Tools
Another possible line:

1.e4 g6 2.d4 d6 3.Nc3 c6 4.f4 Bg7 5.Be3 Qb6 6.Rb1 f5

Probably not particularly sound, but—then again—both Bronstein and Botvinnik tried it.  Only once each, mind you...

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #5 - 01/04/09 at 13:13:56
Post Tools
"1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.f3!?" strikes me as not so good after 3...d5.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Reply #4 - 01/04/09 at 04:34:42
Post Tools
Any hints or updates on this one?

What with James Vigus's book and the new books on Duncan Suttles, it seems as though the Pirc and Modern might start popping up some more...

IP Logged

ANONYMOUS3000

Reply #3 - 08/21/08 at 06:44:54
Post Tools
Here are a few of my suggestions for the book:

1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.f3!? (particularly useful for people who play both 1.e4 and 1.d4)

1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Be2 Bg7 5.g4, the Spike, although this was covered in the book "Carpathian Warrior".

1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d6 4.Bg5!?

1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Bc4 Bg7 5.Qf3 is another option, although this idea may be too theoretical to be a "Dangerous Weapon".

Personally I think the most dangerous weapon against the Modern is 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.c4, transposing to 1.d4. This can be a big advantage if your opponent doesn't play the KID, or if you enjoy facing the KID.

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #2 - 08/17/08 at 15:40:17
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 07/27/08 at 17:49:57:
Excellent  Smiley. But I've got to wait until May 2009  Sad

Knowing Everyman sense for respecting its schedules I'd say you(we)'ll have to wait till September 2009 at least  Wink

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #1 - 07/27/08 at 17:49:57
Post Tools
Excellent  Smiley. But I've got to wait until May 2009  Sad

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

FM Dikkie

I Love ChessPublishing!

Dangerous Weapons: The Pirc and Modern
07/27/08 at 16:00:50
Post Tools
It still takes sometime, but its coming!  Smiley
http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=490

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo