Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Bird question (black) (Read 1814 times)
Black_Widow

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Bird question (black)
Reply #1 - 08/04/08 at 20:56:48
Post Tools
Probably the best recent theory overview for the system you play is Bird's Opening A03 from Viktor Ivanov from the Russian Chess House. I ordered it with Niggeman. Black is ok in Rare Openings from Andorjan is also a nice source.

The problem for white is also, that he has no straightforward plan. What works with the Dutch, does not work that nice with colors reversed in the Bird. So I think that is also the good news for black, that it is hard for white to disturb the balance. So I think black should just play healthy moves, often involving a double fianchetto and preparing d4 or e5 when possible.

If you try to "punnish" white, then you can get easily in trouble. For instance, with Nh6 or Bg4 systems, or a to early c5.

IP Logged

Bocajaka

I Love ChessPublishing!

Bird question (black)
08/04/08 at 17:46:48
Post Tools
Against the Bird I have never known any theory but played the usual setup Nf6, g6, d5, c5, Nc6 etc. but I can not say I fully understand all the middlegame plans and I find myself spending a lot of time in the opening. Whenever I look in a database I feel that noone has a straightforward plan which leaves white with a big advantage in that he has likely played this system many times before. What way do you suggest I learn this? I don't want to play the From because I still find the positions after Nf6 a lot of fun.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo