Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) English vs Kings Indian Defence (Read 18790 times)
Jay

Re: English vs Kings Indian Defence
Reply #19 - 02/07/11 at 19:56:17
Post Tools
MarinFan wrote on 08/11/08 at 15:29:29:
Hello,

Yelena pretty much knocks out the Bg5 thing. Not very suprising really it was recommended some years ago, and wasn't very impressive in the first place. (Think Tony Kosten was running out of allowed pages for his book basically. So think was a excellent repetoire book for the small number of pages used. It's normal that a new opening book should question previous analysis, otherwise it would not be a very worthwhile new book.)
        Also covers the Botvinnik set-up that is in the dynamic english, and has some good recommendations there too.

Bye John S

I have to think this right about running short on pages allowed by the publisher because there really is scant coverage on the KID maybe a handful of pages intended to complete the repertoire but not nearly so much as gives the Botvinnik positions, the Dutch, or anything else.  My memory seems to think it is a couple of pages at most.

CheckMate wrote on 09/05/08 at 15:06:30:
Annihilator wrote on 08/29/08 at 20:24:23:
Systems with d3 against the KID are lame, you have to go into the KID Fianchetto lines with d4 which can be tricky for an unprepared black player and might be whites best try for an edge.

I agree that d4 gives more chances against the KID. The problem is that Black may duck into a Grundfeld or a Grunfeld-Slav setup if you play d4 before Black is committed to d6. That's my main objection to all early g3-based anti-KID systems.

The original post was Kosten's English versus KID.  There are two points.  Kosten's line might seem uninspired to some, but he makes clear throughout that he prefers to stick to a pure 'English' setup because the familiarity with the position is worth something and often transposing into the opponents field of play does the opposite but if you know a solid line against some system, 'now is the time to transpose.'  I have been unimpressed with Kosten's repertoire against the Slav and KID.  Meeting 2.g3 with ...c6 (after the commital Bg7 rather than Bh3) is quite solid.  I think it calls into question the soundness of 2.g3.  This is something that Avrukh in 1.d4 does not always recommend, but if you have been deep into Kosten's Dynamic English, adding d4 into the repertoire is not exactly as natural progression as it would seem to the uninitiated.

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #18 - 09/17/08 at 06:53:14
Post Tools
I hate to throw this out there....but why not just play into the KID?
It might sound lame, but White is doing well in several lines (unless your opponent is Radjabov). Wink

I play Nc3, a quick e2-e4 (to avoid the Grunfeld), and go for it.
I think the Bayonet Attack is an excellent system for White and with all the resources out there (many, many more than for the 1.c4/1.Nf3 anti-KID stuff) it isn't THAT hard to learn how to play.  It's also worth mentioning that ChessPub's Mikhalevski puts out great stuff on the KID every month, so you don't have to look very far for help.

Anyway, I love the English and I've tried the Botvinnik and other anti-KID lines but I never felt great about them (nor scored well).  But eventually, after reading Khalifman and looking at the theory, I gave up and simply went for the KID proper (with much better success).  

To quote GM Darth Vader: "If you only knew the POWER of the dark side....."  

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

Sleepy kitten
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 09/16/08 at 01:50:09
Post Tools
In his book, Jangjava examines the position after 1. c4 Nf6 2. g3 g6 3. Bg2 Bg7 4. Nc3 O-O 5. d4 Nc6 6. Nf3 d5 7. cxd5 Nxd5 8. o-o in a note (via 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 d5 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.Nf3 o-o 7.o-o Nc6 8.Nc3) and he says that 8...Nxc3 (trying to prove that White's move order is suboptimal) is not good and that Black should stay in the main line with 8...Nb6.

About Black trying longer to keep back the d-pawn (in order to play either ...d6 or ...d5 according to circumstances), here is a correspondence game with comments (in French) with a World Champion leading the Black pieces.

http://ajec-echecs.org/analyses/et.php

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #16 - 09/06/08 at 23:41:31
Post Tools
Black_Widow wrote on 09/06/08 at 22:59:06:
An example move order I use is:
1. c4 Nf6 2. g3 g6 3. Bg2 Bg7 4. Nc3 O-O 5. d4 c6 6. e4 d5?!

However 5 .. Nc6 as you suggested is possible indeed, leading to the Grunfeld. A very clever move-order to trick white in the Grunfeld. But is this a variation what black wants? Since I like postions like that with white.

I have the impression that 3...c6 is in order there (if Black wants to do that sort of thing).

It's sort of neat how in that 5...Nc6 line White (if he plays 6. Nf3) is the one left guessing (Gruenfeld or Panno?).  I would think that the resulting Gruenfeld position is quite okay for Black (better for him than the similar position where White has 0-0 in instead of Nc3, I think).

IP Logged

Black_Widow

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #15 - 09/06/08 at 22:59:06
Post Tools
An example move order I use is:
1. c4 Nf6 2. g3 g6 3. Bg2 Bg7 4. Nc3 O-O 5. d4 c6 6. e4 d5?!

However 5 .. Nc6 as you suggested is possible indeed, leading to the Grunfeld. A very clever move-order to trick white in the Grunfeld. But is this a variation what black wants? Since I like postions like that with white.

IP Logged

Sleepy kitten
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 09/06/08 at 20:45:03
Post Tools
Quote:
With the correct move order you can avoid the Grunfeld.

I am not sure how. I had thought of 1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 o-o but now 5.d4 Nc6 and I don't find anything better than 6.Nf3 d5.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #13 - 09/05/08 at 22:02:33
Post Tools
Black_Widow wrote on 09/05/08 at 21:31:16:
With the correct move order you can avoid the Grunfeld.

I suppose you are talking about an English move order such as 1. c4 Nf6 2. Nc3 g6 3. g3 c6 4. Bg2 d5 5. cd cd 6. Qb3, or here 4. e4?

IP Logged

Black_Widow

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #12 - 09/05/08 at 21:31:16
Post Tools
CheckMate wrote on 09/05/08 at 15:06:30:
Systems with d3 against the KID are lame, you have to go into the KID Fianchetto lines with d4 which can be tricky for an unprepared black player and might be whites best try for an edge.

I agree that d4 gives more chances against the KID. The problem is that Black may duck into a Grundfeld or a Grunfeld-Slav setup if you play d4 before Black is committed to d6. That's my main objection to all early g3-based anti-KID systems.

With the correct move order you can avoid the Grunfeld. And I only know one move order to reach forced the Grunfled Slav, but that is I think a nice system for white to play against.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #11 - 09/05/08 at 16:43:05
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 09/05/08 at 16:32:32:

Yes, well, I have nevertheless lost painfully to Botvinnik's anti-KID system.  Also, for whatever it's worth, it's touted by Neil MacDonald in Starting Out: The English.

You're in good company; this always reminds me of a game Markland-Hort from the '70s, in which "a top GM was slaughtered" (in the words of Andrew Soltis, I think) by a British master.

I also recall that the ...c5 (instead of ...e5) version (generally considered the way to go for Black) was considered slightly better for White by Emms in NCO (though some other sources differ).

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #10 - 09/05/08 at 16:32:32
Post Tools

Yes, well, I have nevertheless lost painfully to Botvinnik's anti-KID system.  Also, for whatever it's worth, it's touted by Neil MacDonald in Starting Out: The English.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

CheckMate

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 09/05/08 at 15:06:30
Post Tools

IP Logged

Annihilator
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 08/29/08 at 20:24:23
Post Tools

IP Logged

Caledonian
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 08/14/08 at 11:48:05
Post Tools
I havent got Dembo's book yet but on balance I am tempted to try 5e3 myself. I haven't had great success with 5d3 and queenside expansion plans as the inveitable KID attack on the kingside can become quite rampant.  

I think 5 e3 is very flexible as its a sound system vs a follow up ...e5,  ...c6, or ...c5 by black

5e4 seems less desirable  when black has not played ...N-c6. although of course a Botvinnik structure is still possible here too. I confess to even playing 2c4 against the Sicilian in the odd 1e4 I play!

« Last Edit: 08/14/08 at 13:51:23 by Caledonian »  

IP Logged

Black_Widow

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #6 - 08/11/08 at 18:10:29
Post Tools
Nice Dikkie!

By the way, now I know why I could not find the book in Dieren.

IP Logged

MarinFan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 08/11/08 at 15:29:29
Post Tools
Hello,

Yelena pretty much knocks out the Bg5 thing. Not very suprising really it was recommended some years ago, and wasn't very impressive in the first place. (Think Tony Kosten was running out of allowed pages for his book basically. So think was a excellent repetoire book for the small number of pages used. It's normal that a new opening book should question previous analysis, otherwise it would not be a very worthwhile new book.)
        Also covers the Botvinnik set-up that is in the dynamic english, and has some good recommendations there too.

Bye John S

IP Logged

FM Dikkie

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 08/11/08 at 09:42:41
Post Tools
For sure the Dembo book is out!

I bought it at a chess tournament in Dieren (Netherlands), already about 2 weeks ago.  Smiley

The variations start (of course) after 1.c4 Nf6 2. Nc3 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 0-0

Then she covers:
A:5.Nf3
B:5.e3
C:5.e4
D:5.d3

Because of copyright I guess I can't tell more! Wink

IP Logged

Caledonian
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 08/11/08 at 09:36:52
Post Tools
Dembo is not out yet I believe.

The book came out in the European Union in July. However, in the USA the publication date is the 20th of August.

http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=470

Even in the US that does not give white players long before black opponents will be trying out the suggested repertoire  vs 1c4/1N-f3

Put your order in now I say!

IP Logged

Black_Widow

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 08/11/08 at 02:27:29
Post Tools
I do not like the Bg5 move to much. It can also be replaced by an early Rb1, although that also has some disadvantages.

If you do not mind playing an equal position, then also the botwinnik can be used, including against the c5-lines (see also Soltis). However both Palliser and Dzindzichashvili give reasonable lines how to play against the botwinnik in the symmetrical english.

The white fianchetto plays nice against the KI, however it is quite some work, to sort out all variations, how to play. However most variations play intuitively.

Botwinnik used sometimes early b3 lines in the KI fianchetto lines, which cut down on the work, and those lines are also quite nice to play.

Dembo is not out yet I believe.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 13:50:02
Post Tools
Thanks for creating this thread, Calendonian. Its an important question - how can an English player meet the King's Indian while at the same time not getting move ordered out of his other English lines?

I'd be interested to hear what Dembo covers in 'Fighting the Anti-Kings Indians'. I initially though this would be restricted to 1.d4 lines, a kind of Cox's 'Dealing with d4 Deviations' only for ...g6 players (Cox's book is for Nimzo/QID players with ...e6).

Here are the main lines I can think of -

Closed Sicilian c4,Nf3,g3,Bg2,0-0,Nc3,d3 (Strategic Opening Repertoire)

Closed Sicilian with e3 - c4,g3,Bg2,Nc3,e3,Nge2 (Soltis?!)

Kosten's Bg5 - useful for keeping open transpositions to a Botvinnik setup (Dynamic English)

Extended Reti with b4 - Nf3,c4,b4 (Dynamic Reti)

IP Logged

Caledonian
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

English vs Kings Indian Defence
08/10/08 at 12:52:22
Post Tools
I have decided to create this thread following a comment from Winawer 77 in another thread.

When creating an English opening repertoire (or anything non 1.e4), I think the key question you need to answer is how to meet the King's Indian setup. I also think that this is the potential weak point of Kosten's repertoire - not so much because of the actual line itself (he recommends Bg5) but because the KID is so popular, I think a more potent weapon is required.

I am not sure if I agree a Kings Indian structure is the only critical response for a repertoire with 1c4 but its undeniably very important.

I cannot help feeling there is lot more information out there for KID players than English players.

For example, we have the recent book Fighting the Anti-Kings Indians: by Yelena Dembo which I hear has good coverage for KID players meeting 1c4 or 1N-f3.

Has anyone read this yet? How detailed is Dembo's coverage of potential approaches by white in the English or Reti?

I think Nigel Davies book 'The Dynamic Reti' is one that comes to mind with good coverage for tackling a KID formation ( a system used by Reti and Smyslov based on an early b4). Any other suggestions?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo