Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Exchange variation QGD (Read 17220 times)
HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Re: Exchange variation QGD
Reply #3 - 08/14/08 at 18:09:31
Post Tools
I think White's advantage here is one of the soundest and least theoretical evaluations in all of chess—and one of the most important to study and understand.  It is important for both sides to understand the value of pawn majorities and minorities.  Learning about the Carlsbad structure is a vital part of anyone's chess education.  I would also suggest that this is an opening White can expect to play for life without being caught out by stunning theoretical reversals (which is what I really meant earlier by way of asserting that White's advantage in the QGD Exchange is among the least theoretical evaluations).

Having said that, I really like the ideas for Black against in the QGD Exchange offered in Dangerous Weapons: The Queen's Gambit.  I don't think they reduce White's opening advantage significantly, but I like Black's activity...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #2 - 08/13/08 at 17:04:25
Post Tools
I wonder what "older" means here -- 1990s?  1950s?

I would say that in recent years the Exchange is considered a somewhat promising try for White (in part because of his variety of plans), but perhaps Black should be able to equalize.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #1 - 08/13/08 at 16:23:48
Post Tools
If White hasnt played Nf3 it is dangerous for Black - Nge2 gives White a lot of nasty ideas. Therefore Black usually avoids the classical move order and plays 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 "threatening" the Nimzo - if White goes 3.Nf3 Black may retourn to d5 as the exchange variation is no longer a dangerous option for White.

IP Logged

Zatox

Exchange variation QGD
08/13/08 at 13:20:04
Post Tools
How is the current theoretical status of the exchange variation of the queen gambit declined (1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc4 Nf6 4.cxd5 exd5)?In some older books i have read that it was problematic for black.

'Experts vs The Sicilian' is a great book, but it is not the Bible. - TopNotch

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo