Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The most solid repertoire Ever ? (Read 8390 times)
zoo
Ex Member

Re: The most solid repertoire Ever ?
Reply #14 - 08/19/08 at 17:12:38
Post Tools
Interestingly, a friend of mine said that 1. c4 was a great way to fish for draws against GrandMasters, because once you know where your pieces should go, they are few chances of being strategically outplayed, which is of course the biggest danger when playing "solidly" against a GM. As you get strong, you play solid by firmly rowing your boat to the quiet waters of rook endings or the like (which of course you master perfectly), but to build such firm hand you need to play each position the best you can, including tactics. So is chess !

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/19/08 at 16:50:46
Post Tools
Afterthought : with Black against 1. e4, you may want to give away a little in the opening, and then catch up later on in the game. An almost perfect opening for this would have been the Alekhine, were it not for the Four Pawns Attack. But if you're comfy with 4PA, then you're fit against e4 !
Also the Deferred Steinitz (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 d6) is a good candidate for a "solid minusequal", you will have a herd of pawns to push forward to try and outplay your opponent.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #12 - 08/19/08 at 16:46:01
Post Tools
I have long thought that a losing-chances-minimizing repertoire for White would start with 1. e4.  The Sicilian isn't really a problem because of (certain lines of) the Alapin.  Also included would be (certain lines of) the Four Knights.

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/19/08 at 16:29:48
Post Tools
It depends if you mean solid in the sense of "denying any advantage" or "denying any tactics", the latter being perhaps misguided. Anyway :

- With White : after 1. e4 the Sicilian is a problem. Same for the KID  & Benoni after 1. d4, when those fiendish Black don't bother with equality. Also Colle/London systems are less effective when Black hasn't played ...d5.  So, 1. c4 or Nf3/c4/g3 may be in order, playing like Khalifman/Kramnik against ...d5, and like C.Hansen/Andersson against ...g6 ?

- with Black : 1. e4 is challenging, if you want to prevent tactics you can go for 1...c5 and Accelerated Dragon, if you want to prevent advantage you can go for 1...e5 and Marshall Gambit. One good line against the King's Gambit is 1. e4 e5 2. f4 d5 3. exd5 exf4 avoiding Bc4 systems, but against the dreaded ponziani I have no clue. Against 1.d4 you can play 1...d5 and go for the Lasker Variation; if you lose, you lose solidly. But prepare for QGD exchange variation, since you'll have to scare White somehow on the Kingside to keep balance. Then against 1. c4 you play ...e6/d5, and 1...d5 against others.

Also you can start to play Go to get a sense of solidity.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #10 - 08/19/08 at 13:03:03
Post Tools
The most solid opening repertoire is one that is directly linked to your greatest strengths in the rest of the game.  For someone like Ulf Andersson, an opening that transposes directly into an endgame, even if the resulting position is slightly inferior, is preferrable to any other.

Tal related an anecdote in which, when playing for the Olympiad, his team captain told him to play solidly.  During one of his games, the captain came over and asked how he was doing.  Tal replied something like, I'm down a Rook and two pawns, but I have some attacking chances.  The captain's response was "good, as long as it's solid."

I think Bohr, Planck, and Feinman are responsible for us realising that solidity isn't all it's cracked up to be. Cool

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #9 - 08/19/08 at 12:18:15
Post Tools
I was thinking about asking something like this question myself.

I pretty much only play 3minute blitz on ChessbasePlaychess server (about 1975 rating) I was thinking of coming back to OTB chess and only playing occassional games for my club (I was about 2075 about 5 years ago) when they need me as a substitute, and I thought it might be an Idea in this circumstance to have a really solid repertoire that I can prepare relatively easily without much maintenance - i.e. the theorydoes not change much  with the emphasis on minimizing the chances of losing.

Personally where I find it trickiest is preparing for as Black D4,C4,Nf3 opening butI am interested in ideas for White and Black vs e4.

Maybe though one should not prepare "drawing system" anyway but play what I consider the best openinings even if sharp and be willing to draw from a position of strength in some circumstances####?

IP Logged

ANONYMOUS3000

Which player has the most solid repertoire?
Reply #8 - 08/19/08 at 08:19:08
Post Tools
"Can anyone give a more solid set up for white and black ?

How solid can we get it ?"

Perhaps the question should be reworded to "Which player has the most solid repertoire?". Especially given that the definition of a "solid" variation would vary somewhat among chessplayers.

I propose that Kramnik's openings are probably the most "solid" in terms of reaching positions where White plays for a small positional plus, and Anand's are very "solid" in terms of being the theoretically most fashionable variations of the time (Najdorf, Semi-Slav, etc).

On another note, Ivanchuk and Morozevich are probably the most unpredictable of the top players, although Carlsen could well change that... Wink

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #7 - 08/19/08 at 07:15:02
Post Tools
Play whatever Tiviakov plays.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #6 - 08/19/08 at 06:11:52
Post Tools
Maybe the exchange vs the Caro:  1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.cxd cxd 4.Bd3 and 5.c3. 

But why 1.e4?  The Colle is more boring, er solid, especially if White has no intention of exerting himself and just plays for exhanges. 

vs. 1.e4, the Fort Knox.  It sounds solid at least.  vs 1.d4, the Cambridge Springs, Lasker's or Orthodox QGD.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 08/18/08 at 22:47:22
Post Tools
The Panov Attack against the C-K is actually pretty sharp. Then I would rather advise 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Bf5 5.Ng3 Bg6 6.Nf3 e6 7.Bd3 followed by castling kingside.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/18/08 at 17:47:35
Post Tools
Solid Repertoire for white:

1.e4:
... e5 - Bishop Game
... c5 - c3 sicilian
... c6 - panov attack
... e6 - Nd2-French

Solid Repertoire for black:
Against e4 -         ... e5
Against the rest - Queen's Gambit Declined

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 08/18/08 at 02:26:50
Post Tools
Novosibirsk wrote on 08/17/08 at 18:01:56:
With white you play  

1.d4 and go for the London system. Against the dutch  1...f5 you play a set up with  2.Nf3 followed by Bg5 or Bf4. Hard to win with as white. But hard to win as black also. Solid!

Against 1.d4 e6 you can either go for the London with 2.Nf3/Bf4 or play 2.e4 and go for the exchangevariation in the French. Boring but solid!

Wrong. Black has two good positional ideas after Bf4: occupy square e4 with a knight and prepare ...e5. I don't know about the Leningrad, but Bg5 against the Iljin-Zjenevsky is met with ...Be7 and an exchange of that Bg5. After this Black will grab the initiative again with ...e5. I have beaten dozens of pseudo-solid White players with these ideas and I want more.
Oh, after 1.d4 e6 2.e4 d5 3.exd5 exd5 Black may prepare castling queenside - neither boring nor solid.

Finally 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c6 3.Bf4 Qb6 is quite interesting.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 08/17/08 at 23:07:52
Post Tools
The French and Stonewall can be very solid and fit together well. I play the French with success when a draw is OK, but I never understood the Stonewall... and I don't think it is that solid against 1.c4 and 1.Nf3, keeping in mind that White can still break with d3 and e4! (this was recommended in popular repertoire books by Kosten and Davies).

It also depends on which lines you play within the French. For maximum solidity (and considering that 3...dxe4 is against my principles Smiley ) I suggest:
3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 dxe4 5.Nxe4 Nbd7 intending ...h6.
3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e5 main lines with ...cxd4 and ...a6, or less theoretical 7...Be7!?
3.Nd2 c5 4.exd5 (4.Ngf3 a6) exd5 5.Ngf3 Nf6 6.Bb5+ Bd7 and it's hard for White to make the IQP count in these lines.
3.e5 Main line with 5...Bd7 (Euwe). Meet 6.Bd3 with 6...Rc8!? instead of taking the pawn (though White's gambit may be ultimately unsound).

Just playing these lines would get boring over time though, I advise som variety to spice it up now and then. There are many fun lines in the French too!

A solid defence that has given me a surprisingly high draw percentage is the Tango (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 Nc6). Maybe the claims for dynamism are slightly overstated, and I don't go for this in must-win situations anymore.

For White I don't really see the problem; if you are willing to learn some theory you could develop a relatively risk-free repertoire with any first move, including 1.e4 (see Kaufman's "The Chess Advantage in Black and White" for a serious attempt) and 1.d4/2.c4 (Avrukh's forthcoming 1.d4 book with lots of fianchettos might be an example).

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ANONYMOUS3000

Reply #1 - 08/17/08 at 22:29:48
Post Tools
I would argue that the most solid repertoire ever is a sound repertoire which you know very well, and all your opponents' don't.

Since such a repertoire is not possible, the next best thing is a very broad repertoire, but only if you know it extremely well!

Talking about actual openings, 1.e4 e5 and 1.d4 d5 is hard to beat for solidity as Black. It certainly worked for Gupta in the recently concluded World Juniors 2008 Smiley.

IP Logged

Novosibirsk

Chess is my life!

The most solid repertoire Ever ?
08/17/08 at 18:01:56
Post Tools
With white you play  

1.d4 and go for the London system. Against the dutch  1...f5 you play a set up with  2.Nf3 followed by Bg5 or Bf4. Hard to win with as white. But hard to win as black also. Solid!

Against 1.d4 e6 you can either go for the London with 2.Nf3/Bf4 or play 2.e4 and go for the exchangevariation in the French. Boring but solid!Smiley

As white I suggest :

Against :

1.e4

hmm...some canditates here. If you play  1...e5 You can go for the petroff if there was not something named the Kings gambit or bishop opening or Vienna game. So 1..e5 is ruled out.

I suggest the french defence rather than the Caro-Kann. I have played them both and for me it seems its easier to come under fire in the Caro-Kann.

Against 1.d4

the choice is between going for the Queens gambit declined or the Stonewall dutch. In either case you should meet 1.d4 with the flexible move 1..e6 (avoids the Tromp). If you chose to play the queens gambit declined you should play 3...Be7 avoiding the dangerous variation of the QgdExchange variation.

Against 1.c4

you play either stonewall dutch or the QGD.  1.c4 e6 or f5. This is not a complete repertoire suggestion but against the most commonly played I guess.

What other solid repertoire choice for black and white can be recommended ? I am just talking about solidityhere. What opening that is most hard to beat for your oponent.

Against  1.Nf3 you can either go for the stonewall dutch (1...e6 and not 1...f5 because of 2.d3!) or you can go for the QGD.

Can anyone give a more solid set up for white and black ?

How solid can we get it ?

Best regards

Mr Solid  Smiley

“I don’t play chess anymore, I play Fischer Random. It is a much better game, more challenge. Chess is a dead game, it is played out. Fischer Random is a version of chess that I developed or invented.
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo