Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1...e5 has destroyed my chess career (Read 20698 times)
ANONYMOUS3000

Re: 1...e5 has destroyed my chess career
Reply #1 - 08/30/08 at 02:48:08
Post Tools
You have the following options:

1. Give up chess for life. I mean, what's the point of playing this silly game if you never win?

2. Play the Zilbermints Gambit, Phillidor-Zilbermints Counter-Gambit, Hobbs-Zilbermints Gambit, Blackmar-Zilbermints-Diemer Gambit, etc. Just don't brag about it.

3. Play 1...Nc6! and use Wisnewski's (now Scheerer's) book.

4. Improve your endgame play so that even if you are getting totally trashed by some patzer and are a rook down, you can still win anyway.

5. Read all three volumes of "Chess on the Edge" and emulate Duncan Suttles's style. You will get creamed by much stronger players, but each win of yours will make the opponent look like a fool ("how could I lose to such a stupid opening?").

By the way, what is your rating now and before you started playing 1...e5 all the time?

Of all these options, I recommend trying either 2,3 or 5. If that still doesn't work, give up chess and take up Mah-Jong, Shogi or Go.

IP Logged

smrex13

1...e5 has destroyed my chess career
08/30/08 at 02:29:20
Post Tools
Hey Everyone,

Well, after five+ years of playing the French (and Caro now and then), I decided to really commit to  1...e5.  I've gotten some good advice from all of you, but in the last two months my rating vs. 1.e4 has dropped 650 points and my rating vs. 1.d4 is down 500 points.  I'm now playing (and getting trashed) by beginners.  I'm sure that my chess development requires that I master these symmetrical openings, but I've lost all interest in chess.  Even when I go back to my favored French, I get destroyed (10 losses last night against the exchange!?).  I don't know if any of you have faced08/30/08 at 02:29:03 this kind of dilemma.  When I first started to play chess I could tell that 1.e4 e5 was incomprehensible.   The complications were beyond my understanding, and that's still the case. But I really feel that I should be able to play these positions to have a strong understanding of chess.  I'm really getting frustrated by losses against lines like 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 and 1.e4 e5 2.a3, etc.  I really don't know how to improve. I'm getting destroyed by horrific white openings.  Can any of you relate?  I've always been reasonably proficient at new hobbies, but I'm being humiliated by chess (which is why I want so badly to improve).

Please help!!
Scott

"Behind every beautiful thing there's been some kind of pain"  - Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo