Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Pirc Austrian Attack, please help White! (Read 4159 times)
thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Re: Pirc Austrian Attack, please help White!
Reply #6 - 09/05/08 at 05:47:40
Post Tools
Quote:
Thanks a lot !
Supposing that White is not interested in the draw, what would be his best chance for an advantage in the Austrian with 5...c5 ? many people claim that the Austrian is a big problem for Black, but I can't even see a promising line for White here ?!

Against c5, I see three possibilities for white to go for the win:
  • Playing 6.d5 as Mnb says but you should be sure your opponent is not a Benoni-adept. In such a case, he could feel home in this position.

• After 6.Bb5-Bd7 7.e5-Ng4, you can play 8.Bxd7 which simplifies the game and make it more "dry" than going for 8.e6. It can be a solution for a more positionnal player but don't forget: it is a Pirc and tricks are everywhere.

• You can also go for 6.dxc5-Qa5 and 7.Qd4. Black should be OK but he must very well know what he is doing in such a position (see Vigus' book).

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #5 - 09/05/08 at 03:16:24
Post Tools
It would seem that Nick De Firmian (a GM who plays the Austrian) doesn't think White has a path to advantage against 5...c5, going by what's in MCO-15.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 09/05/08 at 01:36:05
Post Tools
You might investigate 6.d5 heading for a variation of the Schmidt-Benoni (1.d4 c5 2.d5 d6 3.e4 Nf6 4.Nc3 g6 5.e4 Bg7 6.f4).

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/04/08 at 15:44:06
Post Tools
Thanks a lot !
Supposing that White is not interested in the draw, what would be his best chance for an advantage in the Austrian with 5...c5 ? many people claim that the Austrian is a big problem for Black, but I can't even see a promising line for White here ?!

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #2 - 09/04/08 at 15:04:08
Post Tools
I think Alburt and Vigus say in their respective book that black is certainly not worse.
I have played the Pirc about two years and use it from time to time and I must say this the type of position I'm looking for with black. White has often used a lot of time at this point when Black just followed his preparation and Black has more experience in this situation than White. So it is easier for Black to find the "right" solution there.

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 09/04/08 at 12:13:41
Post Tools
edit : right position, but wrong move order!

instead of 9. Nxg5 Bxd4 10. Nxe6 Bxb5, the right move order is 9. Nxg5 Bxb5 10. Nxe6 Bxd4, since 9. Nxg5 Bxd4?? would allow Bxd7+ and Qxg4 with instant win.

So the question remains : is White playing for an advantage in the final position, or were there better moves before ?

Funnily enough, databases show that the "wrong" move order (but leading to the draw) has been played lots of times, including by GMs.
Were they careless in pre-arranged draws or in real games ?...

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Pirc Austrian Attack, please help White!
09/03/08 at 13:42:54
Post Tools
Hello,
I'm not sure what to think about the following variation of the Pirc Austrian Attack (4. f4) :

1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nf3 g6 4. f4 Bg7 [4...a6, 4...e6] 5. Nf3 c5 [5...0-0] 6. Bb5+ Bd7 7. e5 Ng4 8. e6 fxe6 [8...Bxb5 9.exf7+ Kd7 is also possible] 9. Nxg5 Bxd4 10. Nxe6 Bxb5 11. Nxb5 [here White can take a draw with 11. Nxd8 Bf2+ 12. Kd2 Be3+] 11...Qa5+ 12. Qd2 Bf2+ 13. Kd1 Ne3+ 14. Ke2 Qxb5+ 15. Kxf2 Ng4+ 16. Kg3 Na6 (see diagram) :

Is White really better here ? Thanks for your help !

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo