Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll Question: Is the Hedgehog a good winning try?
bars   pie

Yes    
  22 (73.3%)
No    
  8 (26.7%)

Total votes: 30
« Last Modified by: exigentsky on: 09/18/08 at 07:48:18 »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hedgehog When Playing for the Win (Read 9845 times)
sssthepro

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Hedgehog When Playing for the Win
Reply #15 - 11/02/08 at 13:34:44
Post Tools
Is anyone kind enough to translate it from German to English, or does anyone know a English copy somewhere? Smiley

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #14 - 11/02/08 at 11:32:17
Post Tools
I wouldn't play the Hedgehog for a win, but it certainly could be considered if all you need is a draw, or little losing chances with some prospects for a win against ambitious players. If white is completely unambitious he can just trade everything down quickly in numerous lines, resulting in a dry equality with little chances to make it interesting.

« Last Edit: 11/02/08 at 17:45:36 by BPaulsen »  

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

sssthepro

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 09/21/08 at 06:45:16
Post Tools
I played a lot of Hedgehog games on the internet (Ok, maybe these evidences are not that good, but hey, they still mean something), and I always get good positions. My opponents either allowed me to break with b5 or d5. Most of them cannot wait or prevent my breaks, and I succeeded in implementing them. Black usually tries to keep all the pieces on the board, so tension and winning chances are retained. Even if pieces are exchanged, Black can still retain winning chances, if the exchanges are done for example after Black broke with d5 and White has weakened the kingside with f3. I usually exchanged a pair of knights and rooks and maybe the light squared bishop after the d5 break (cannot be avoided), but I still got a strong kingside attack with h5-h4 and attack on the dark squares around the king.

Of course, if the white player is good, you will have to bide your time and wait. But this is the Hedgehog. Both players are playing a cat and mouse game. The first player who twitches loses. At least that's how I look at it.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #12 - 09/20/08 at 16:31:52
Post Tools
It's Van der Weide who writes at Silman's site.  Van der Wiel (aka "The Butcher") is somewhat older; he played in top-level events in the '80s.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #11 - 09/20/08 at 15:30:47
Post Tools
farg wrote on 09/20/08 at 08:32:38:
some side note: if you need some startup help and speak some german check out  http://www.turm-lage.de/TeX/igel/englisch.pdf

That's very helpful, in fact, since my chess German is fairly good.  Thanks.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #10 - 09/20/08 at 15:27:02
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 09/19/08 at 02:22:08:
Markovich wrote on 09/18/08 at 12:04:06:
There is some theory, which was sketched out by who, van der Weil? on Silman's website.  

You like getting Dutch names the wrong way, don't you? A chessplayer called Van der Weil does not exist. It's either Van der Weide (From the Meadow) or Van der Wiel (From the Wheel). And that article was written by Martin, who is not Dutch at all. Well, you are excused by the electricity being down, I guess.

http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_bits_pieces/040417_Martin_Hedgehog.html

So it was Martin, anyway.  Van der Wiel, sorry.  Van der Wiel does write at Silman's site, I believe.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 09/20/08 at 14:37:16
Post Tools
It's also very useful for those players who want to avoid the Hedgehog (Igel) as White.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 09/20/08 at 11:47:39
Post Tools
That PDF seems very interesting, I wish I knew German to read the comments, thanks for the link

IP Logged

farg
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 09/20/08 at 08:32:38
Post Tools
some side note: if you need some startup help and speak some german check out  http://www.turm-lage.de/TeX/igel/englisch.pdf

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/19/08 at 05:37:57
Post Tools
@Markovich, there is less theory, in the form of concrete variations, but much more in the form of if-then-else statements Tongue

e.g. if Rc1 and Qc7 has been played then black should always watch out for a Nd5 tactical possibility, and when I say "watch out", I mean he has to sit there and calculate Nd5 in every move.

Move-order is another issue..
e.g In the mainline - what people call English Hedgehog, black should delay 0-0, because at some point he has to play the queen outta the d-file and qc7 is the place to go. But in order to do that safely, he has to play a6 before that. And if he has chosen to castle early, the tempos aren't enough for him, so in this case he plays Qc8, then a6, then Qc7 losing a crucial tempo.. If he tries to cheat keeping queen on c8, white creates a Be3+Qf2 battery pressurizing on b6.

I am lucky to have met a strong player recently and he has shown to me numerous examples like the above. The whole system is still beyond me, but I have the ambition to study and play it in the future.

Black has great winning chances from what I've seen so far. It is very easy for white to overextend and then black plays 1-2 pawn levers and suddenly his pieces become very active.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 09/19/08 at 02:22:08
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 09/18/08 at 12:04:06:
There is some theory, which was sketched out by who, van der Weil? on Silman's website.  

You like getting Dutch names the wrong way, don't you? A chessplayer called Van der Weil does not exist. It's either Van der Weide (From the Meadow) or Van der Wiel (From the Wheel). And that article was written by Martin, who is not Dutch at all. Well, you are excused by the electricity being down, I guess.

http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_bits_pieces/040417_Martin_Hedgehog.html

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #4 - 09/18/08 at 12:04:06
Post Tools
Quote:
No, the Hedgedog doesn't offer much for black, I am often on the white side, and my opponents often play it wrong and lose.
Black gets only winning chances if he gets to play e5 in the symmetrical, but white can deny this.

Play the KID if you want to have winning chances.

I don't believe the Hedgehog would be as popular as it is at high levels if this statement were true.  Also I wish that there were fewer posts on this board in the vein of "Forget about system X, play my system!"

I have also embarked upon -- or more precisely, am planning to embark upon -- a study of this system.  I even got a copy of Oezh, or however it is pronounced, by that Russian player.  I forget his name, starts with an S.  Unfortunately I have no chess Russian, apart from being able to tell the names for Black and White.  But at least I can follow along with the moves.

There is some theory, which was sketched out by who, van der Weil? on Silman's website.  But I suspect that with this system, there is no substitute for playing over may games.  And this Oezh is more of a games collection, with many verbal discussions unfortunately in Russian, than a theory book.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #3 - 09/18/08 at 10:38:11
Post Tools
I answered yes because it is not so much worse than other openings when you have to go for the win as black. It can be very usefull when white also needs to win and he can overpush...

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/18/08 at 09:14:58
Post Tools
No, the Hedgedog doesn't offer much for black, I am often on the white side, and my opponents often play it wrong and lose.
Black gets only winning chances if he gets to play e5 in the symmetrical, but white can deny this.

Play the KID if you want to have winning chances.

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 09/18/08 at 08:44:22
Post Tools
1.c4 e5, 2.Nc3 Nc6, 3.g3 f5 system offers more winning chances IMHO, but you cannot play it against 1.Nf3 move orders.

Against 1.Nf3 I play the opponent - as opposed to playing the position.. Against people who have a reputation of being good at tactics, I play the Hedgehog, against those who have a reputation of being good at strategy, I play the Leningrad.

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Hedgehog When Playing for the Win
09/18/08 at 07:38:55
Post Tools
I don't play 1. d4 d5 openings and so when faced with 1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4, I have to make more exotic attempts to get into similar positions, such as the Nimzo English after 2. ...e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 or venture into the Symmetrical English.

Lately, I've considered the Symmetrical English and specifically, the main line Hedgehog defense. The positions are cramped but with much latent energy. Although I am a bit concerned about what to do if White just sits on the position with his constraining space and doesn't aim for much more than solidity. Moreover, I see that many hedgehogs reach an late middlegame/early endgame quickly after a trade on g2 and a cascade of other trades as a result. Who do the endgames usually favor and how are Black's winning prospects here? My main goal is to use this as an independent winning try and this is the aspect I'm interested in. Will it offer any better winning chances than the Nimzo-English for example?

Unfortunately I have never played the Hedgehog (but I have played somewhat similar structures in the QID and Sicilian) so I am quite clueless. I appreciate all feedback about it and especially regarding its viability in a must-win situation.

BTW: By Hedgehog, I mean this kind of structure:

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. g3 b6 4. Bg2 Bb7 5. O-O e6 6. Nc3 Be7 7. d4 cxd4 8. Qxd4 d6 9. Bg5 a6

* White to move

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo