Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C51-C52: Evans Gambit Literature (Read 10733 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: C51-C52: Evans Gambit Literature
Reply #14 - 02/06/20 at 14:53:12
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 02/06/20 at 14:36:28:
[A decent overview of the Evans Gambit from White's perspective can be found in The Alterman Gambit Guide - White Gambits by GM Boris Alterman.

Forgot that one - while it's decent indeed it doesn't add much to previous sources. My son enjoyed the book during the short period he was interested in chess as a teen.
Must I conclude from you quoting Orwell that you are a pig?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #13 - 02/06/20 at 14:36:28
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/06/20 at 11:44:19:
Sandman wrote on 02/03/20 at 17:04:30:
Resurrecting an old topic............. are there any new books you would recommend on the Evans or is the best still Harding?

I don't know the Harding book, so I can't judge how useful it still is. I do own Pálkövi's book from 2001 on 3.Bc4 Bc5, which even back then wasn't exactly good. TopNotch is right that the Evans theoretically is a dead end; it has been for a long while. Last decade only Nakamura has won with it against serious opposition (in 2012).
Now TopNotch in the Four Knights asked a correct question: what isn't equal today? So I ask: isn't  the entire set of 1.e4 openings a dead end?
At the other hand this means the label "outdated" is relative. If you plan to pick up the Evans you'll have to do your own research anyway and pay special attention to the few high level games (White lost 4 last decades and another 7 between 2000 and 2010). Then the question is rather if, since Harding, authors have something new to say. If you own Harding I bet you can forget Pálkövi; no idea if Williams and Petrov offer new insights. I don't trust Williams, because his enthousiams affects his objectivity and makes him neglect good options for the defense. Again, after watching those videos you'll still have to do your own work. That's doable; in my database there are 2,6 times as many games with the Four Knights, for instance (games since 2000). You might eg want to take a look at 5...Be7 6.d4 Na5 7.Bd3. I doubt if you find a serious treatment in any book or DVD.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." A proclamation by the pigs who control the government in the novel Animal Farm, by George Orwell.

The above quote is applicable to most major Openings as well, so when preparing your repertoire many factors have to be weighed such as type of opponent, time control, ease of play, conditions of play e.g OTB vs Corr, amount of memorization involved, etc etc. A decent overview of the Evans Gambit from White's perspective can be found in The Alterman Gambit Guide - White Gambits by GM Boris Alterman.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 02/06/20 at 11:44:19
Post Tools
Resurrecting an old topic............. are there any new books you would recommend on the Evans or is the best still Harding?

I don't know the Harding book, so I can't judge how useful it still is. I do own Pálkövi's book from 2001 on 3.Bc4 Bc5, which even back then wasn't exactly good. TopNotch is right that the Evans theoretically is a dead end; it has been for a long while. Last decade only Nakamura has won with it against serious opposition (in 2012).
Now TopNotch in the Four Knights asked a correct question: what isn't equal today? So I ask: isn't  the entire set of 1.e4 openings a dead end?
At the other hand this means the label "outdated" is relative. If you plan to pick up the Evans you'll have to do your own research anyway and pay special attention to the few high level games (White lost 4 last decades and another 7 between 2000 and 2010). Then the question is rather if, since Harding, authors have something new to say. If you own Harding I bet you can forget Pálkövi; no idea if Williams and Petrov offer new insights. I don't trust Williams, because his enthousiams affects his objectivity and makes him neglect good options for the defense. Again, after watching those videos you'll still have to do your own work. That's doable; in my database there are 2,6 times as many games with the Four Knights, for instance (games since 2000). You might eg want to take a look at 5...Be7 6.d4 Na5 7.Bd3. I doubt if you find a serious treatment in any book or DVD.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #11 - 02/05/20 at 20:19:04
Post Tools

There is no recent literature recommending this for White as current theory considers it a dead end, however it is still viable as a surprise weapon particularly at Rapid and Blitz time controls. The most recent coverage of this gambit is probably on DVD or you could check the chessable website for courses. The Harding book is extremely dated now, and only relevant as a historical reference.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 02/03/20 at 20:33:34
Post Tools

Alterman's gambit guide gave the Evans gambit for white. I dont know how the analysis compares with other source material for detail.

I know there are DVDs by Simon Williams (chessbase) and Marian Petrov (Ichess?). Again i dont know how well these stand up against Harding's book.

I am not sure i know of any other relatively recent books or dvds on the opening (for white).

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Sandman

Reply #9 - 02/03/20 at 17:04:30
Post Tools

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
That's how far the world is from where I am.
Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Evans Gambit Literature
Reply #8 - 04/15/09 at 19:52:35
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 09/19/08 at 02:23:37:
Anyone had a good look through Martin's yet?

I have Martin's DVD. I must say I was quite impressed. He covers just about all the games you expect inserting both old classics and modern revivals into every line of the evan's gambit. He's pretty nonbiased giving ideas for both black and white to explore. He tangles alot with move order issues and the reasons why the move orders are critical which is very nice.

IP Logged

erudito
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 10/29/08 at 04:32:44
Post Tools
SWJediknight wrote on 09/18/08 at 23:06:14:
Yes, Tim Harding's book Play the Evans Gambit gets very good reviews across the board, so is well worth considering, even though it's a bit dated.  Harding also published another one, Evans Gambit and a System vs the Two Knights, back in 1996, which also got good reviews.

As I don't own either book I'm not sure what the main differences are, except that I recall reading that Play the Evans Gambit covers 4.b4 Bxb4 5.c3 Ba5 6.d4 exd4 7.Qb3, whereas the earlier 1996 one covers 7.0-0.

The book Evans Gambit and a System vs the Two Knights covers the main line: 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4.b4 Bxb4 5.c3 Ba5 6.d4 exd4 7.Qb3. Therefore the other book by the same author, Play the Evans Gambit is the updated version of the previous book which is no longer available. You probably can get is as a used book if you search at Amazon.com.

IP Logged

erudito
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 10/29/08 at 04:28:37
Post Tools
I am reading Evans Gambit and a System vs the Two Knights and I am using it to add to my opening game. The book presents a system for playing Evans from White's point of view based on the author's experience with this opening. It is a very interesting opening, I must say, I love it. A landmine for Black if Black is not careful. Of course there are very few drawing lines in this opening, and Black must know them otherwise, it is curtains. The worse case I found is White end up in an unfavorable endgame with 1 pawn down. And White will be hard pressed to play in a rook ending with a pawn deficit. Well, someone said that all rook endings are draws... so I think there is hope for White to draw. But it is going to be a very hard uphill struggle to draw an endgame with a pawn deficit. Of course, Black would have to know the variation which would give him this small advantage.  Grin

IP Logged

Odd Gunnar Malin
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 09/19/08 at 14:42:24
Post Tools
ANDREW BRETT wrote on 09/19/08 at 09:54:30:
Isn't there a good section in Marin's beating the open games on the Evans

This is even put up on their web for free view: http://www.qualitychessbooks.com/uploadimages/39580.47635450231BTOG%202nd%20edit...

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/19/08 at 09:54:30
Post Tools
Isn't there a good section in Marin's beating the open games on the Evans

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 09/19/08 at 03:03:41
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 09/19/08 at 02:23:37:
 Harding also published another one, Evans Gambit and a System vs the Two Knights, back in 1996, which also got good reviews.

I have this. Harding generally a solid and quite thorough  author. (see also Marshall, Bishop's Opening etc) His old stuff generally holds up quite well so this text is well worth a look.

Is also interesting to compare his coverage with Renet's of 2KD 5...Ne4 and 5...Ng4. Between them, the best coverage to be had.

I think i'm going to get the martin and the harding so i'll let you know Wink

What is Renet's work you are referencing?

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #2 - 09/19/08 at 02:23:37
Post Tools
  Harding also published another one, Evans Gambit and a System vs the Two Knights, back in 1996, which also got good reviews.

I have this. Harding generally a solid and quite thorough  author. (see also Marshall, Bishop's Opening etc) His old stuff generally holds up quite well so this text is well worth a look.

Is also interesting to compare his coverage with Renet's of 2KD 5...Ne4 and 5...Ng4. Between them, the best coverage to be had.

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #1 - 09/18/08 at 23:06:14
Post Tools
Yes, Tim Harding's book Play the Evans Gambit gets very good reviews across the board, so is well worth considering, even though it's a bit dated.  Harding also published another one, Evans Gambit and a System vs the Two Knights, back in 1996, which also got good reviews.

As I don't own either book I'm not sure what the main differences are, except that I recall reading that Play the Evans Gambit covers 4.b4 Bxb4 5.c3 Ba5 6.d4 exd4 7.Qb3, whereas the earlier 1996 one covers 7.0-0.

Pinski's book got a few dodgy reviews- accusations of being too thin in coverage and showing a bias towards Black are among the common complaints.  For example, after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.d4!? Bxd4 5.Nxd4 Nxd4, he only gives 6.f4?! leading to an advantage for Black, whereas 6.0-0 and 6.Be3 are far better.   The reviews give the impression that his section on the Evans was the best of the book, but still lacking in some areas (e.g. no mention of 4.b4 Bxb4 5.c3 Bd6).

I saw the preview of Marin's 1. e4 e5 book which featured the Evans Gambit; it contains some good ideas from White's point of view as well as Black's, though again not comprehensive coverage as in Harding's book.

(Edited: I was previously unaware that Harding did indeed release a book called "Play the Evans Gambit" in 1997)

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

C51-C52: Evans Gambit Literature
09/18/08 at 22:32:43
Post Tools
So I'm looking for a good summary of the evans gambit or a nice analyzed game collection of it. Not necessarily the hot off the mill current modern theory jazz.

I was looking at maybe getting:
Play The Evans Gambit by Tim Harding 1997
Italian Game & Evans Gambit by Jan Pinski 2005
Fritz Trainer DVD The ABC of Evans Gambit byAndrew Martin

Anyone have any reviews of these three or another suggestion?
« Last Edit: 09/08/11 at 04:54:10 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo