Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Kortchnoi, Osnos - Sicilian-Rauzer Variation book (Read 2732 times)
MilenPetrov
YaBB Moderator

Winnie the Pooh Rules
:)

Re: Kortchnoi, Osnos - Sicilian-Rauzer Variation book
Reply #4 - 11/14/08 at 07:34:39
Post Tools
Yes, you are right. I think that he agreed only to put his name on the cover for marketing purposes. The content is written from Osnos.
I bought the book because i play Rauzer and was curious what new they have to say. And I saw... simply nothing.
So i think that it will be a good idea if some of the publishers go for Classical Sicilian book.

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/13/08 at 20:07:37
Post Tools
It is a usual phenomenon for us, when we go and buy a very recently published book and after a quick reading we discovered that it is simply a rubbish!!
What I do , it is simply to read Carsten Hansen column at Chesscafe or Glen Flear's reviews on NIC and If a book I am planning to buy and they give it good recommendations I go and buy it.
Especially with russian published books we must be very sceptical, since the re-publication of an old stuff is quite usual. Kortchnoi is 77 and I have not seen him playing as black the Rauzer since the last years of the 90's.

IP Logged

MilenPetrov
YaBB Moderator

Winnie the Pooh Rules

Reply #2 - 10/19/08 at 18:37:31
Post Tools
Novosibirsk wrote on 10/19/08 at 14:47:09:

Yes, i ordered the book exactly from there. I spent some time on my favourite variations and could not find anything new since before mentioned book. It is also very strange that there is no bibliography section. The authors mention some names inside the text, but no sources.
Also the are a lot of new and important games, which are not mentioned in the book (even it is issued in 2008). At least the authors could have used CBM, or Mega2008 (even 2007 or 2006).
Just one example - page 14 in the book, which covers the variation 6...Qb6. Kortchnoi and Osnos prefer 7.Nb3 mentioning a variation which is 100% simmilar to the book by Wells and Osnos (1998!). It is pretty clear as it was pointed by Yermolinsky in his excellent book published in 2007 hat 7.Be3! gives White advantage. This is mentioned also in chess pub analysis. In the book they give one example, which is old as the Soviet revolution Smiley - the game Balashov - Petrienko, Voronezh, 1987.... Quite an old example i think.
At least i know about 5 newer games in the variation...

Regards

IP Logged

Novosibirsk

Chess is my life!

Reply #1 - 10/19/08 at 14:47:09
Post Tools

“I don’t play chess anymore, I play Fischer Random. It is a much better game, more challenge. Chess is a dead game, it is played out. Fischer Random is a version of chess that I developed or invented.
IP Logged

MilenPetrov
YaBB Moderator

Winnie the Pooh Rules

Kortchnoi, Osnos - Sicilian-Rauzer Variation book
09/30/08 at 13:01:40
Post Tools
Hello recently russian chess publisher Russian Chess House published a new book from Kortchnoi and Osnos about Sicilian Rauzer in russian.
I got the book and was simply dissapointed.
The content of the book is almost the same as the Wells& Osnos book publisged by Batsfrod in 1998. Only some new games are added. Mu short look on it showed that most of them are in the period 2002-2004. I saw only one game (Cheparinov-Kotronias) played in 2007. The assessments of the positions and variations look very odd and in some cases there are new games which change the verdict.
I know it is not a good advertising, but I simply do not reccomend this book. So do not waste your money and instead go for Chess Explained: Classical Sicilian which at least contains more up to date variations and assessments.
Will be interesting to hear also other opinions from people who have the book.
Regards

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo