Latest Updates:
Normal Topic London System position question (Read 2984 times)
rooksway18

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: London System position question
Reply #5 - 10/10/08 at 08:11:18
Post Tools
Oh, I never thought of the h4 idea so early, but yes, h4 is often part of a king side attack for white. Food for thought since I'm new to the London.

After my last post regarding Tony's comment above, I happened to transpose into a game with an early h4 and learned some things from it. So instead of focusing on the Qh3 idea, I look at moving the h pawn too. Still assiilating attacking ideas in the London System.

And thanks for the game and annotations Eric! I appreciate it.

IP Logged

GMEricPrie

"The most simple moves
are the less complicated"

Reply #4 - 10/07/08 at 17:12:39
Post Tools
I would have thought h2-h4 (instead of the milder h2-h3...) at any time after Be7 (actually intending Nh5), as mentionned in the last update with a knight on c6 instead of d7.
Then I played this game this sunday :

Brethes.pgn ( 1 KB | 86 Downloads )

IP Logged

dsanchez

24.Nh1!?N

Reply #3 - 10/04/08 at 12:51:25
Post Tools
I have recently started playing this system, using "Win With the London," Davies' DVD, and of course ChessPublishing as references.  I believe all three mention that in the London, knowing thematic ideas and concepts can be as important than actual move orders, and I believe the decision regarding when to play h3 is one of those occasions.  If he can, White will usually meet ...Nh5 with Bg5, trying to entice Black's kingside pawns forward.  However, as soon as Black takes measures against this (for example, blocking the diagonal with  ...Be7), that is White's cue to consider creating an esacape hole with h3.  For me, I think identifying and recognizing these cues is very helpful to understanding this opening.

In your example, the tables were kind of turned, and it was White (with Nf3) who sent the signal to Black that now was the time to play ...Nh5.  So, yeah, another recurring theme for White is that he may need to prepare Nf3 by playing h3 first.

In fact, probably a good way to think about it is to consider Bg5/Nf3/h3 as a single orchestrated kind of maneuver, the exact timing of each depending on what Black does.

IP Logged

rooksway18

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 10/04/08 at 05:27:40
Post Tools
Thank you for the feedback. I'm not currently a member of Eric's section, although I see where your leading me!

Regarding 7.h3, what I gather from 'Winning with the London System' is white often will refrain from h3 (except when white doesn't!!)  keeping the option to attack h7  with Qd1 to Qf3 to Qh3.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 10/03/08 at 08:49:26
Post Tools
I am sure the answer must be on one of Eric's updates somewhere, but, offhand, why can't you play 7 h3 first?

IP Logged

rooksway18

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

London System position question
10/03/08 at 03:43:18
Post Tools
Does anyone have a recommendation for white after 1.d4 d5 2.Bf4 Nf6 3.e3 e6 4.Nbd2 Be7 5.Bd3 c5 6.c3 Nbd7 7.Nf3 Nh5?

I couldn't find it in "Win with the London System".

My thoughts are:
8.Be5 Ne5 9.Ne5 looks interesting but there's also 8...f6 to deal with.

8.Bg3 is the usual choice in a couple of databases, and if 8...Ng3 9.hg, the h-file is half opened, but black has not committed his king to that side of the board. Still, I prefer white, who still has his 'good' bishop.

So 8.Bg3 seems best to me, but perhaps this is debatable.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo