Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Nakamura wins Cap d'Agde (Read 11757 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Nakamura wins Cap d'AgdeDo
Reply #46 - 02/18/11 at 02:43:36
Post Tools
Nietzsche wrote on 11/03/08 at 19:41:46:
RE:  "Plenty of unpleasant nonsense written about the young fellow Hikaru Nakamura. Judging his character on random hearsay and ICC stuff. Please , please."

I know people who have played Nakamura and people who have been around while he makes an ass out of himself.  I can also read interviews where he speaks for himself.
This is not "random hearsay" nor "ICC stuff".  Winning a chess game doesn't mean you're a better person ; but I think Nakamura believes it does.

However, I agree with TopNotch that since he is still a young man, I should probably cut him a little slack in this regard.  If I was as good as he is at that age, I'd might have some attitude issues as well.  But that doesn't mean that Hikaru doesn't have an attitude problem.  It's just understandable.

He dominates in online blitz and somehow thinks this means he one of the world's absolute best chess players, but let's be honest, he just isn't.
Does anyone here think he is as good as Anand, Kramnik, Topalov, Ivanchuk, Morozevich, etc?
Does he play on the same level as other young stars like Carlsen, Radjabov, or Karjakin?

He is a tremendous player, of course, but he is just NOT in the elite.  He might get there, but right now - he isn't there.  

RE: "No big tournament results? Really? "

Yes, really.  
Name a tournament where he beat several top 10 players at classical chess and I'll retract that statement.
Corus B is just NOT Corus A.

When he wins Linares or Bilboa (or Corus A) come back to me.  
If he gets top score on board one at the Olympiad, I'll concede.

Again, compare his results to Carlsen or Radjabov.  
Those guys are in the top 10 for awhile and have won victories over the very best players in the world.  
There is no doubt that Nakamura is not at their level. (yet?)

I wanted to revive this thread ever since Naka took Corus A 2011 in an inspiring display of fighting chess, but I just couldn't track it down till now.

@ Nietzsche - It took 2 years, but I'm coming back to you. Any reflections? Smiley

Some other thread highlights:

[Nietzsche - 11/02/08 at 21:30:41(quote)]  Yeah, its a real shame that Nakamura doesn't have a better attitude.
The US really needs a top player to help revive interest here, but unfortunately, Nakamura (who could be an elite player)  really is arrogant, selfish, and derides other players. 

He wants an invitation to the highest caliber tournaments but he's not had the results to warrant it.  He won't be top 30 and not nearly as talented as other young superstars like Carlsen, Radjabov, or Karjakin. Personally, I think Vachier-Lagrave is a better player as well.  Anyway, he really seems to think he is god's gift to chess.
Oh well... 

[Smyslov Fan Quote] - Naka hasn't been getting any invitations to the big name tnmts.  He needs to do well at Corus to be taken seriously at the highest level. In order to become one of the elite, he will have to break even against the elite in a tournament that matters such as Corus, Biel, Dortmund, Linares or the World Championship. [End Quote]

Prophetic words.

[Andrew Brett 07/29/09 at 09:04:42 (Quote)] -The only reason Naka isn't 2750 is simply he hasn't played with the elite (not his fault). Just as Carlsen took about a year to get use to this level once he's cracked it , I expect great things of Naka. [End Quote]

So do I.

Next up Melody Amber.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Nakamura wins Cap d'Agde
Reply #45 - 08/30/09 at 09:25:54
Post Tools
Plus that in this event specifically his opponents are not totally new to the phenomenon...

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #44 - 08/30/09 at 06:02:51
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 08/29/09 at 14:12:38:
Schaakmeister hit the nail on the head.

If we are to believe that a player is one of the ten best in the world, then he is responsible for which tournaments he plays in.  It was his choice.  I don't mean to suggest we should judge him by one poor result any more than we should judge him by one good one.  Let's see what a year of serious chess brings.

He lost again, now against Beliavsky, in a game he could have called a day 20 moves earlier. Truly a rough event for him.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #43 - 08/29/09 at 14:12:38
Post Tools
Schaakmeister hit the nail on the head.

If we are to believe that a player is one of the ten best in the world, then he is responsible for which tournaments he plays in.  It was his choice.  I don't mean to suggest we should judge him by one poor result any more than we should judge him by one good one.  Let's see what a year of serious chess brings.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 08/28/09 at 11:29:40
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 08/28/09 at 08:28:04:
Schaakhamster wrote on 08/28/09 at 05:51:09:
Funny how Nakamura stirs discussions all around the internet any time he plays.

Anyway he has a rocky tournament at NH Chess in the Netherlands. He is sick though... .

I'm still on the fence about him. London and Wijk aan Zee will provide a lot more information. I do think he needs to set up camp in Europe for the time being.Eases the jetlag  Cool

Sick and jetlagged:
http://www.jca-chess.com/

Was here till just before the tourney in Amsterdam.

One can be handled, both is tough.

yes, but in the end he didn't have to play back to back tournaments in different parts of the world. As I said, he needs to stay in europe for extended part of the year. That is where the big tourneys are... .

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #41 - 08/28/09 at 10:33:54
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 08/28/09 at 08:28:04:
Sick and jetlagged:

Apparently a symptom is to write in weird letters Wink

Personally I am not really impressed by Nakamura and expect to see more from other youngsters than of him. Eg Smeets who is playing quite impressively.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #40 - 08/28/09 at 08:28:04
Post Tools
Schaakhamster wrote on 08/28/09 at 05:51:09:

Anyway he has a rocky tournament at NH Chess in the Netherlands. He is sick though... .

I'm still on the fence about him. London and Wijk aan Zee will provide a lot more information. I do think he needs to set up camp in Europe for the time being.Eases the jetlag  Cool

Sick and jetlagged:

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 08/28/09 at 05:51:09
Post Tools

I'm still on the fence about him. London and Wijk aan Zee will provide a lot more information. I do think he needs to set up camp in Europe for the time being.Eases the jetlag  Cool

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #38 - 07/31/09 at 21:56:43
Post Tools
dre wrote on 07/31/09 at 08:55:10:
The best and most talented chess players are those who are best at Fischer random chess. Classical chess is too much dependent on opening preparation and computer analysis. In classical chess it is not necessary the best player that wins, but the best prepared. If they are force to think themself, like in Fischer Random chess, none of the "elite" players can match Nakamura.

I smell a fanboy.

Clearly Nakamura's understanding of chess is superior to the likes of Kramnik, Anand, and Topalov when preparation goes out the window.  Roll Eyes

I personally think Nakamura will be climbing into the Top 10 in the near future, but let's not overstate things.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 07/31/09 at 11:10:22
Post Tools
maybe aronian saved his energy for the match against anand,
still I think 0,5-3,5 is psychologically not a good score to start playing another tourney Smiley

IP Logged

dre
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 07/31/09 at 08:55:10
Post Tools
The best and most talented chess players are those who are best at Fischer random chess. Classical chess is too much dependent on opening preparation and computer analysis. In classical chess it is not necessary the best player that wins, but the best prepared. If they are force to think themself, like in Fischer Random chess, none of the "elite" players can match Nakamura.

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #35 - 07/31/09 at 06:36:57
Post Tools
No one can deny that Nakamura has great potential.
But it is still potential when compared to elite players.  

As I said before, unless you think he is "easily" better than Morozevich (and seriously, there is no way) then relax the top 10 stuff.

Nakamura is amazing in rapid chess and apparently very, very good at Fischer Random. Wink

However....that doesn't mean he's the next Kasparov.
Players like Kasparov, Kramnik, Carlsen, and those sorts of "talented juniors" were already in the top 3 in the world when they were Naka's age.  
Actually, Carlsen is younger... but you get the point.

Even Carlsen isn't the next Kasparov!!   LOL

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

Uruk

Reply #34 - 07/31/09 at 02:09:12
Post Tools
Look, I can tell easiness when I see it.

Back when Aronian was rated 2570 or so, I kept saying he was one of the most talented players on the planet.
And I still think he's a potential world champ.

Now a guy who beats Aronian 3,5-0,5 and regularly knocks out Vachier-Lagrave,
be it rapid, 960 or whatever, clearly has the patterns hardwired.

Back in 81 when Kasparov was rated 2630, couldn't you tell a brutal force was rising?
Ok, that's maybe going too far; maybe not.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #33 - 07/30/09 at 23:00:26
Post Tools
Uruk wrote on 07/30/09 at 20:34:23:
Maybe he knew better: he just trashed Aronian in Mainz.

Easily top ten in my opinion.

I don't quite know what you mean by "easily top ten".  Is Aronian easily in the top ten (in the world, in standard chess)?

Was the game?

Most improbably, are you really suggesting on the strength of Nakamura's recent success that he belongs in the top ten in the world without having regularly competed against the top ten?

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #32 - 07/30/09 at 21:54:18
Post Tools
RE: "Easily top ten in my opinion. "

Umm...you mean top ten in Chess 960 (a.k.a Fischer Random)?
Right? Shocked

Otherwise you'd have to say Nakamura is "easily" better than Morozevich!! (i.e. the current number 10).
Which, I hope, is NOT what you're saying.  
Because that's what is referred to as "crazy talk". Grin

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

Uruk

Reply #31 - 07/30/09 at 20:34:23
Post Tools

Maybe he knew better: he just trashed Aronian in Mainz.

Easily top ten in my opinion.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 07/29/09 at 15:01:48
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/29/09 at 13:31:42:
Re Naka's refusal to play in Corus B because of the money:  What sort of idiot would become a chess player for the money?   Shocked

If you are really good enough to be a professional chess player, there are other ways to make money.

Even the world champions (with the possible and notable exception of Fischer) could have used their talents to make more money than they ever did playing chess.

Americans are brought up in a culture in which money is the single most important agent of action.  Other cultures value artistic output and intellectual achievement more. (Note, I say that our culture values money; individuals may not adhere to the dominant culture.)

one good showing in Corus B and Corus A becomes a real possibility; After that a lot is possible and the real money is in the elite tourneys (if there is any in chess)  Grin

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 07/29/09 at 15:00:37
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/29/09 at 13:31:42:
Re Naka's refusal to play in Corus B because of the money:  What sort of idiot would become a chess player for the money?   Shocked

If you are really good enough to be a professional chess player, there are other ways to make money.

Even the world champions (with the possible and notable exception of Fischer) could have used their talents to make more money than they ever did playing chess.

Americans are brought up in a culture in which money is the single most important agent of action.  Other cultures value artistic output and intellectual achievement more. (Note, I say that our culture values money; individuals may not adhere to the dominant culture.)

one good showing in Corus B and Corus A becomes a real possibility; After a lot is possible and the real money is in the elite tourneys (if there is any in chess)  Grin

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #28 - 07/29/09 at 13:31:42
Post Tools
Re Naka's refusal to play in Corus B because of the money:  What sort of idiot would become a chess player for the money?   Shocked

Americans are brought up in a culture in which money is the single most important agent of action.  Other cultures value artistic output and intellectual achievement more. (Note, I say that our culture values money; individuals may not adhere to the dominant culture.)

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 07/29/09 at 09:27:02
Post Tools
I think he is a great player with a very interesting style. I'm just searching for reasons why Nakamura doesn't yet belong to the elite circle while others his age and younger do and the "they haven't invited him yet" argument just doesn't cut it for me. With his profile he shouldn't have been left in the cold for so long.

Nakamura is for me a bit: "Live with the sword, die by the sword". His antics on the web have earned him a huge fanbase but also a lot of "haters". For all I know Carlsen can be a huge idiot but he hasn't acted as an idiot on the web for all to see. Nakamura has sobered up his act so I'm ready to cut him some slack. But how far he can get no-one knows.

As for Corus-B: in my opinion he shouldn't have passed on that occasion even if the money was no good. A good show in Corus B could have really put him on the map. Invest now, reap benefits later.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #26 - 07/29/09 at 09:00:12
Post Tools
Schaakhamster wrote on 07/29/09 at 08:41:20:
ANDREW BRETT wrote on 07/29/09 at 08:04:42:
The only reason Naka isn't 2750 is simply he hasn't played with the elite (not his fault). Just as Carlsen took about a year to get use to this level once he's cracked it , I expect great things of Naka.

I don't entirely agree. He refused to play in Corus B a couple of years ago which basicly is the fastest way for an up and coming player to get access to the elite tourneys. I think he wised up and realised that he can't expect any respect without earning it.

I have said it before: Nakamura failed to capitalise on his early fame (like Carlsen, Radjabov and Karjakin) and now he is a 22y old 2700+ which is very impressive but not very unique. He'll have to do it the hard way I guess.  

I fail to understand the antipathy shown by some mouthy amateurs  to strong players that they have never met. If in doubt, be nice.

Corus B - he didn't feel the conditions were right. So he declined. Fair enough.

Regarding doing things the hard way, I suspect there is no other way at that level. Nobody just rocks up and blags it. Lots and lots of hard work.

Agree with ANDREW 'Shouty' BRETT that Nakamura will rise and rise. We will see this over the next year.  And as it happens, he is a perfectly affable fellow. Good luck to him.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 07/29/09 at 08:41:20
Post Tools
ANDREW BRETT wrote on 07/29/09 at 08:04:42:
The only reason Naka isn't 2750 is simply he hasn't played with the elite (not his fault). Just as Carlsen took about a year to get use to this level once he's cracked it , I expect great things of Naka.

I don't entirely agree. He refused to play in Corus B a couple of years ago which basicly is the fastest way for an up and coming player to get access to the elite tourneys. I think he wised up and realised that he can't expect any respect without earning it.

I have said it before: Nakamura failed to capitalise on his early fame (like Carlsen, Radjabov and Karjakin) and now he is a 22y old 2700+ which is very impressive but not very unique. He'll have to do it the hard way I guess. 

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 07/29/09 at 08:04:42
Post Tools

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 07/29/09 at 02:12:19
Post Tools
Nakamura's attitude towards his fellow masters seems to have changed quite alot recently.

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #22 - 07/28/09 at 23:49:36
Post Tools
RE: "He did not suffer the sin of false modesty, and if he could back up his claim of being the greatest knight ever, then he was indeed virtuous!"

First of all, Nakamura is hardly the "Lancelot" of chess.    Roll Eyes
And he shouldn't behave as such.
Surely we can all agree to that?

Also, there is a HUGE difference between 'false modesty' and outright arrogance.  No one is claiming that Nakamura isn't a talented GM nor an amazing rapid player...but the argument here is that he is not (yet?) an elite player (e.g. Topalov, Anand, Carlsen, Kramnik, etc.) and -as such- doesn't yet deserve invitations to the very best tournaments.  Nor should he treat other players as if he were 'the king's champion'.

Getting back to the Arthurian metaphor, this is more like Sir Bors acting like he is the greatest knight in the realm.

And finally, Galahad was surely the greatest knight.   Grin
He was also the purest.
In fact, it was this purity (and piety) that made him victorious in the grail quest.   

Of course, he was a lot more boring than Lancelot...but that's neither here nor there.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #21 - 07/28/09 at 16:55:24
Post Tools
BTW, the medieval ideal included a discussion of how best to behave.  Lancelot was the medieval ideal knight.  He was the best, and he let everyone know it.  He did not suffer the sin of false modesty, and if he could back up his claim of being the greatest knight ever, then he was indeed virtuous!

We may not like him or his type much, but if he can back it up I don't know that we should complain.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #20 - 07/28/09 at 16:46:08
Post Tools
Naka hasn't been getting any invitations to the big name tnmts.  He needs to do well at Corus to be taken seriously at the highest level. 

In order to become one of the elite, he will have to break even against the elite in a tournament that matters such as Corus, Biel, Dortmund, Linares or the World Championship.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 07/28/09 at 13:16:28
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 07/25/09 at 22:12:21:
Naka is back and this time its not blitz tournaments he's dominating.

Surely these latest results must quell the naysayers.

Ironically Naka thrashed poor Karpov again, it reminds me a bit of when Boxing's Muhammad Ali mistakenly came out of retirement only to tarnish his legacy.

Clearly Naka is a player to keep an eye on.

Tops Smiley  

It is a good first step.  But none of the A-listers (Anand, Carlsen, Kramnik or Topalov) nor dark horses like Aronian, Shirov and Ivanchuck were there. After London and Corus A we'll know more. 

IP Logged

J-dog

Reply #18 - 07/25/09 at 22:52:55
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 11/03/08 at 04:00:13:
In sports there is nothing at all wrong with being arrogant, so long as you can back it up.

Again in sports there is nothing wrong with deriding other players, and getting in their heads, its all part n parcel of psychology.

I disagree with that.  Being self-important and having overbearing pride are just poor substitutes for confidence and fearlessness, which are true qualities of success in sport.  

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #17 - 07/25/09 at 22:12:21
Post Tools
Naka is back and this time its not blitz tournaments he's dominating.

Surely these latest results must quell the naysayers.

Ironically Naka thrashed poor Karpov again, it reminds me a bit of when Boxing's Muhammad Ali mistakenly came out of retirement only to tarnish his legacy.

Clearly Naka is a player to keep an eye on.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

ChessMonkey

You may ask yourself,
well, how did I get here?

Reply #16 - 11/04/08 at 19:31:31
Post Tools
I have met Hikaru a few times and know his stepfather and haven't seen that side of Hikaru ever (quite the opposite in fact).  Hikaru has only recently broken the 2700 barrier and I think that will get him more invitations.  He's the list of GMs that are ahead of him on the FIDE ratings list -  quite an impressive group to be a part of:

Topalov, Morozevich, Ivanchuk, Carlsen, Anand, Kramnik, Aronian, Radjabov, Leko, Jakovenko, Y. Wang, M. Adams, Movsesian, Mamedyarov, Karjakin, Kamsky, Svidler, Shirov, Eljanov, Gelfand, Dominguez Perez, Ponomariov, Grischuk, Vachier-Lagrave, Alekseev, Bu, J. Polgar, H. Ni, and Bacrot.

IP Logged

IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Reply #15 - 11/04/08 at 08:26:11
Post Tools
I remember a funny episode when playing Nakamura with Black in a 5-minute game on ICC:

It was around 9am CET (so quite late in the US) and Nakamura was still playing, dragging hundreds of observers with him to every game he played. Naturally he kept chatting with different observers about any random topic you might imagine.

Then he missed a rather easy mate, and the only kibitz I dared was "Back to chess: Black mates in three, who sees it?"

Next thing I knew I was cursed at and censored :p

"Chess you don't learn, chess you understand!" (V. Korchnoi)
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #14 - 11/04/08 at 07:10:00
Post Tools
It was rapid and also didn't feature anyone rated over 2680.
While certainly a nice win for him, it was neither classical nor top category.

But, all this aside...its disappointing Nakamura won't be in the World Blitz Championship, since I think he's better at blitz than Kamsky.  

Anyway, Naka is obviously world-class at blitz! Shocked

IP Logged

snits

Reply #13 - 11/04/08 at 06:32:59
Post Tools
Was the 2007 Corsica Masters a classical tournament? Never mind. It looks like it was a rapid tournament.

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #12 - 11/03/08 at 19:53:05
Post Tools
To try and get some perspective here, Nakamura is rated about as high as Gashimov...
Do you consider Gashimov an elite player?
Do people wonder why Gashimov isn't invited to Linares?  
Does anyone think Hua Ni is going to challenge Anand (or even Aronian) for a match anytime soon? No.

Both of those men are Nakamura's level.  
That's his peer group...not Topalov and Carlsen.
They're the elite, he is not.

Simply put: If you're a tournament sponsor, who would you rather have...a top 10 player or number 30?
Do you want a young, arrogant kid who talks trash or a young player like Mamedyarov?  The question of why Nakamura isn't invited to elite tournaments is not so mysterious to me.  

And while I'm sure he can be a good guy, I'm also sure he is not always on his 'best behavior'. 

Nietzsche

p.s. - I don't think being very good means its okay to be arrogant or condescending....just think of Tal or Anand.
They were both World Champions and gentlemen.

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Re: Nakamura wins Cap d'AgdeDo
Reply #11 - 11/03/08 at 19:41:46
Post Tools
RE:  "Plenty of unpleasant nonsense written about the young fellow Hikaru Nakamura. Judging his character on random hearsay and ICC stuff. Please , please."

I know people who have played Nakamura and people who have been around while he makes an ass out of himself.  I can also read interviews where he speaks for himself.
This is not "random hearsay" nor "ICC stuff".  Winning a chess game doesn't mean you're a better person ; but I think Nakamura believes it does.

However, I agree with TopNotch that since he is still a young man, I should probably cut him a little slack in this regard.  If I was as good as he is at that age, I'd might have some attitude issues as well.  But that doesn't mean that Hikaru doesn't have an attitude problem.  It's just understandable.

He dominates in online blitz and somehow thinks this means he one of the world's absolute best chess players, but let's be honest, he just isn't.
Does anyone here think he is as good as Anand, Kramnik, Topalov, Ivanchuk, Morozevich, etc?
Does he play on the same level as other young stars like Carlsen, Radjabov, or Karjakin?

He is a tremendous player, of course, but he is just NOT in the elite.  He might get there, but right now - he isn't there.  

RE: "No big tournament results? Really? "

Yes, really.  
Name a tournament where he beat several top 10 players at classical chess and I'll retract that statement.
Corus B is just NOT Corus A.  

When he wins Linares or Bilboa (or Corus A) come back to me.  
If he gets top score on board one at the Olympiad, I'll concede.

Again, compare his results to Carlsen or Radjabov.  
Those guys are in the top 10 for awhile and have won victories over the very best players in the world.  
There is no doubt that Nakamura is not at their level. (yet?)

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 11/03/08 at 07:03:21
Post Tools
Naka has talent. I am a fan of his no doubt. But to say he's not rude and arrogant is misguided. Every single tournament I've been at where he's played there has been some scene with TDS and other GMs started and perpetrated by Naka himself. He starts drama and he fights pointless with EVERYONE. He won't get many fans among organizers or competitors this way. His talent imo is certainly enough to qualify him into this so called 'elite' bs. He's qualified. Is he mature enough? Doubtful.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #9 - 11/03/08 at 04:00:13
Post Tools
Nietzsche wrote on 11/02/08 at 21:30:41:
Yeah, its a real shame that Nakamura doesn't have a better attitude.
The US really needs a top player to help revive interest here, but unfortunately, Nakamura (who could be an elite player)  really is arrogant, selfish, and derides other players.  

He wants an invitation to the highest caliber tournaments but he's not had the results to warrant it.  He won't be top 30 and not nearly as talented as other young superstars like Carlsen, Radjabov, or Karjakin. Personally, I think Vachier-Lagrave is a better player as well.  Anyway, he really seems to think he is god's gift to chess.
Oh well...

In sports there is nothing at all wrong with being arrogant, so long as you can back it up.

Again in sports there is nothing wrong with deriding other players, and getting in their heads, its all part n parcel of psychology.

In sports, arrogance and a certain level of contempt for ones opposition are quite marketable commodities. Remember all those intense Kasparov vs Karpov matches.

Selfish? Now that's another matter entirely. In what way do you mean he is selfish?

Tops Smiley  

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #8 - 11/03/08 at 03:48:16
Post Tools
Naka seems to have at least as many detractors as he does fans.

I watched his matches with both Karpov and Ivanchuk on ICC, and the amount of kibitzers watching at any given time numbered in the thousands. An astonishing figure when one considers that only the    Anand vs Kramnik match has drawn such crowds recently.

Having played and watched Naka in action up close and personal like, I can attest to him having a very special gift. Anand also exhibited this similiar gift in his teenage years, and in my opinion had Jorge Zamora (Hasbun) had better fortunes as a junior he too would also be right up there with the best of em.

Say what you like about Naka, there is little doubt that he has that WOW factor, even among players around his own level. 

Do a search on You Tube for Nakamura Chess and be prepared to be amazed. Nakamura vs Vadim Milov was particularly striking, in that by the finish, Vadim's facial expression resembled someone who had been thrown under a moving bus.   

Tops Smiley

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #7 - 11/03/08 at 03:26:06
Post Tools
Plenty of unpleasant nonsense written about the young fellow Hikaru Nakamura. Judging his character on random hearsay and ICC stuff. Please , please.

No big tournament results? Really?

Not an unpleasant fellow at all - he comes to Tokyo every year and I find the young man to be a friendly chap and congenial company. Should be remembered about all these young superGMs - they are YOUNG. Teenagers and young adults may sometimes get carried away with the moment. It happens. Sometimes. Move on.

All: try to be nice. Dont jump on any bandwagons. Dont be grumbly internet curmudgeons.

Well done Hikaru. Congratulations.

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #6 - 11/03/08 at 03:12:23
Post Tools
RE: "I was more impressed by Karpov's performance by the way, who managed to hold his own in rapid chess against the elite."

Indeed, it's quite a show.
I remember hearing about what an amazing blitz player Karpov was in the 70's.  Apparently he was untouchable (except by Tal).

I like to think about how different things would have been if Kasparov had never come around.    Roll Eyes
I think Karpov would have been #1 in the world for over 20 years (!), he probably would have successfully defended his title many, many times, and we'd be talking about whether or not he was the greatest of all time.  Instead, he is 'just a nose' behind Kasparov for over a decade while Garry rules the roost.

Anyway, I certainly prefer to think about Karpov than "The Naka".

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #5 - 11/03/08 at 03:00:35
Post Tools
Nakamura did show some very good (rapid) chess in Cap d'Agde.
He played a very good endgame against Ivanchuck in the second rapid game in the final, that is certainly worth replaying.
But he has had few good tournament results.
Actually he did play in Corus-B in 2004, but only reached 4th place.
I think we do have to go back to the USA championship 2005 for his last classical tournament victory, so he really cant claim an invitation to Corus-A.

I was more impressed by Karpov's performance by the way, who managed to hold his own in rapid chess against the elite.

IP Logged

swingdoc

Improving One Day at a
Time

Reply #4 - 11/02/08 at 22:27:12
Post Tools
As happy as I am to see Naka do well and play more mainline openings, I do have to point out that his speed is clearly his strength, which showed itself this tournament, especially against Karpov. A little (maybe a lot) of humility would go an awful long way.

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #3 - 11/02/08 at 21:30:41
Post Tools
Yeah, its a real shame that Nakamura doesn't have a better attitude.
The US really needs a top player to help revive interest here, but unfortunately, Nakamura (who could be an elite player)  really is arrogant, selfish, and derides other players. 

He wants an invitation to the highest caliber tournaments but he's not had the results to warrant it.  He won't be top 30 and not nearly as talented as other young superstars like Carlsen, Radjabov, or Karjakin. Personally, I think Vachier-Lagrave is a better player as well.  Anyway, he really seems to think he is god's gift to chess.
Oh well...

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #2 - 11/02/08 at 19:35:52
Post Tools
Ummm,

Let's not get too excited by the results of a rapid event which had no ratings on the line and included a world champion who retired from chess before Carlsen was born!*

Yes, this was a good result for Nakamura, but it is hardly a "major event".  Naka will need to win a major event with classical time controls before I take him seriously as one of the World's elite players.

Btw:  It was Ivanchuk, not Nakamura, who knocked out Carlsen.

*Ok, I exaggerate, but not by much.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 11/02/08 at 18:52:04
Post Tools
cause he's arrogant and rude. He turns down invitations because they weren't giving him enough (ie like corus last year where he demanded an Invite to A and turned down his B invite).

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Nakamura wins Cap d'Agde
11/02/08 at 17:15:53
Post Tools
A player from the US beats former wch Karpov and No. 3 in the world Ivanchuk, and all in all wins a high class tournament where the likes of carlsen, radjabov and cheparinov took part. It has to be added Nakamura has not much practice at top gm level.
I also think it was not his first win of a major tournament.
I'm just curious why you don't see him more in major tournaments/leagues.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo