Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "Beat the King's Indian" by Jan Markos (Read 106880 times)
Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: "Beat the King's Indian" by Jan Markos
Reply #50 - 01/12/09 at 15:14:07
Post Tools
I have this book and I'm not impressed at all. Krasenkow-system chapter is not so good. And Markos didn't find any advantage in Korchnoi section either.
I have most of QualityChess books, but this one is not QUALITY at all Sad

2200. Amateur!

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #49 - 01/12/09 at 14:30:38
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/12/09 at 14:22:00:
Antillian wrote on 01/12/09 at 14:00:38:
The Hand,

With all due respect, I don't think it is appropriate to "out" someone else's identity for them if they have chosen not to reveal it themselves.

Exactly.  Contemptible. "The Hand's" post should be removed, pronto.  For some weird reason, if you quote sloughter's posts, you discover this info, and I sent him a message about this problem.  But apparently he failed to correct it before someone outed him.  

The user must have originally signed-up using that name and then made change after the account was created, I am guessing.  If this is the case, it cannot "be corrected" as he chose to register this way.  It can, however, be changed by a webmaster.

But, internet postings, links and records are public domain, folks.  

A cautionary tale.

##############

Added post-post, a good time later.

More, now after I have spent some time thinking about it:  How is this outing a person?  

The person in question posted info on the web for the reason of it getting attention and being seen by other people.  All website info that is readily avaiable, in the public domain, and was provided by the individual in question, for the purpose of diseminating said info.

I argue that when a person puts info on a web page, they want it to be seen by as many people as possible.  I am not arguing the validity of any of it, only the intent/purpose of having it posted.

Linking from one site to another is standard web practice, not illegal, not unethical.

Using all info that the user provided themselves (in an attempt at self PR) coalating it, and posting it in an index list is doing exactly what that individual desires, as evidenced by their placing said info on web to begin with, and in such a fashion as to allow it, and even promote it (meaning: it was not encrypted, there was no security breach/ no computer "hacking")

Now, it may be against a particular website's ethical mores (in which case they should make it part of their policy and user agreement -- and that is not such a bad idea!), but it is not morally wrong because it is in fact exactly what that individual wants:

Attention.

Think about it.

So long as the info was accurate, true, not malicious and posted on the web by the individual, there really is no issue, legally, ethically, morally, or any other way except for perhaps questioning the wisdom of putting personal info in cyberspace to begin with.

My final argument is that Sloughter's posts are SPAM.  And as such, it is those posts that should be removed.  They are merely advertising for his book.  Thinly vieled, poorly strategized, but nonetheless, they are merely advertisements for the Snake oil product he is selling.  As such, he should be outed in more ways than one!

BTW:  I like the Samisch.

Epilogue:  And now I see this rant is made moot as the info is gone anyway.  If only all problems in the world disappeared so easily.  Smiley

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #48 - 01/12/09 at 14:27:58
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/12/09 at 14:22:00:
The Hand,

With all due respect, I don't think it is appropriate to "out" someone else's identity for them if they have chosen not to reveal it themselves.

Exactly.  Contemptible. "The Hand's" post should be removed, pronto.  For some weird reason, if you quote sloughter's posts, you discover this info, and I sent him a message about this problem.  But apparently he failed to correct it before someone outed him.  

it's still there... weird

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #47 - 01/12/09 at 14:22:00
Post Tools
The Hand,

Exactly.  Contemptible. "The Hand's" post should be removed, pronto.  For some weird reason, if you quote sloughter's posts, you discover this info, and I sent him a message about this problem.  But apparently he failed to correct it before someone outed him.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

The Hand

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 01/12/09 at 14:21:23
Post Tools
He did reveal it himself, use the "Quote" feature on his posts.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #45 - 01/12/09 at 14:00:38
Post Tools
The Hand,

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

The Hand

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #44 - 01/12/09 at 13:51:57
Post Tools
Edited

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #43 - 01/12/09 at 13:42:50
Post Tools
Greetings,

Perhaps it's a computer which has developed a personality!? Huh

R2D2!! Cheesy

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #42 - 01/12/09 at 04:16:39
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 01/12/09 at 03:45:16:
is this a joke?

One has to presume and hope so. If not, oh dearie me.

Presume Tony K hires hacks from the local club, or possibly pub by the looks of some posts,  to be Anonymous, Sloughter etc, to liven things up with a heady mix of banality, bluster, misplaced self-assuredness and a resolute lack of chess knowledge.

A winning formula for trolling.

They cannot be real people, can they??!...

« Last Edit: 01/12/09 at 08:32:13 by Bibs »  

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #41 - 01/12/09 at 03:45:16
Post Tools
is this a joke?

IP Logged

sloughter
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #40 - 01/12/09 at 03:41:52
Post Tools
Fritz 8 has as a book line one that appears to favor White: 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.f3 O-O 6.Be3 Nc6? 7.Nge2 a6 8.Rb1 Nd7 9.b4 & I think White is better. I'll have to work on 6...c5 kylemeister wrote on 01/11/09 at 21:44:35:
White is evidently worse after that Bf4xe5 operation.  And f4 is something he would naturally like to play at some point.  By the way, the idea isn't that Black is better (or, uh, winning) after 6...c5, just that it is perhaps a cleaner equalizer than other lines.

One thing I'm reminded of here is a game Gheorghiu-Shirov.  It might even be cited in ECO (recommended by Alburt as a valuable tool for club players, to keep them from reinventing the wheel) ...

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #39 - 01/11/09 at 21:44:35
Post Tools
White is evidently worse after that Bf4xe5 operation.  And f4 is something he would naturally like to play at some point.  By the way, the idea isn't that Black is better (or, uh, winning) after 6...c5, just that it is perhaps a cleaner equalizer than other lines.

One thing I'm reminded of here is a game Gheorghiu-Shirov.  It might even be cited in ECO (recommended by Alburt as a valuable tool for club players, to keep them from reinventing the wheel) ...
« Last Edit: 01/11/09 at 23:08:20 by kylemeister »  

IP Logged

sloughter
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 01/11/09 at 20:55:38
Post Tools
Here is the first game I have played in the King's Indian. White gets a decent game as long as he doesn't play f4. Here is the score of the game: 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 O-O 5.f3 d6 6.Be3 c5 7.Qd2 Nc6 8.Nge2 b6 9.Rd1 e6 10.g3 Bb7 11.Bg2 Qe7 12.Kf2 Rad8 13.d5 Ne5 14.b3 exd5 15.exd5 a6 16.a4 Rfe8 17.h3 Bc8 18.Nc1 Qc7 19.Rhe1 Re7 20.Bf4 Rde8 21.Bxe5 Rxe5 22.Rxe5 Re1 23.Rxe1 Qxe1 & White seems okay.Glenn Snow wrote on 01/11/09 at 15:01:06:
sloughter
Quote:
Why isn't White simply winning in the King's Indian with the Saemisch? This is the only major opening by White where he simply carves out controlled space in the opening i.e. all of his pieces are in back of his pawns. What if White just plays something like c4/d4/Nc3/e4/f3/Be3/g3/Bg2/Nh3/Nf2/Nd3, push his Queenside pawns, rearrange his pieces behind his pawn wall, and just wait for the right moment to open the position with a winning Classical attack, complete with sacrifices, etc.?

Well Sloughter I think White would get slaughtered.  But in all seriousness don't you think the King's Indian wouldn't be so popular if it were that simple.  Since Black has started playing 6...c5! the popularity of the Saemisch has gone down.  I don't think White has enough time to get the setup you mentioned especially after weakening the dark squares like that.  

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #37 - 01/11/09 at 20:30:19
Post Tools
Awesome!  This goes Berliner one better, by proposing one winning grand plan regardless of how Black is playing.

Incidentally, I seem to recall that Berliner's book ignored 6. Be3 c5 (well, it had only been a major line for something like a decade), though he refuted the likes of 6...e5 and 6...Nc6 (albeit by e.g. giving lines taken further and considered equal or unclear by others).

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #36 - 01/11/09 at 15:01:06
Post Tools
sloughter
Quote:
Why isn't White simply winning in the King's Indian with the Saemisch? This is the only major opening by White where he simply carves out controlled space in the opening i.e. all of his pieces are in back of his pawns. What if White just plays something like c4/d4/Nc3/e4/f3/Be3/g3/Bg2/Nh3/Nf2/Nd3, push his Queenside pawns, rearrange his pieces behind his pawn wall, and just wait for the right moment to open the position with a winning Classical attack, complete with sacrifices, etc.?

Well Sloughter I think White would get slaughtered.  But in all seriousness don't you think the King's Indian wouldn't be so popular if it were that simple.  Since Black has started playing 6...c5! the popularity of the Saemisch has gone down.  I don't think White has enough time to get the setup you mentioned especially after weakening the dark squares like that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo