Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Attacking Spanish: Marshall, Schliemann & Gajewski (Read 60699 times)
Roger Williamson

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Attacking Spanish: Marshall, Schliemann & Gajewski
Reply #37 - 02/10/09 at 11:43:36
Post Tools
 What would be the point?  Working ceaselessly for nearly an hour, assisted by fritz8, I have busted all 3 lines.  I invite you all to bicker with me for the next 2 months.

On a slightly more serious note, will there be coverage of the Steiner line in the Marshall?  Just been going over the relevant Stefan Bucker articles on chesscafe...

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 02/10/09 at 11:25:04
Post Tools
It would be interesting to see what the author has to say about the Gajewski variation.

About the 2 other variations: I guess that the author probably will limit himself to either the most interesting, promising or popular lines because about either of them you could fill a few books.

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #35 - 02/07/09 at 10:04:50
Post Tools
I am not sure I would say main line, but we have ideas there.

Obviously I am not the author, but I have seen one game from that position that did not go well for White at all. The assessment of an advantage might be simply wrong, but I will leave that for the author.

Jacob

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Attacking Spanish: Marshall, Schliemann & Gaje
Reply #34 - 02/06/09 at 16:25:41
Post Tools
Jacob Aagaard wrote on 02/06/09 at 16:17:34:
Well, we know that one, of course. But we have some points to make about it Smiley.

So the main line in new book is 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3  Nc6 3.Bb5  f5 4.Nc3 fxe4 5.Nxe4  Nf6 6.Nxf6+ Qxf6  7.Qe2 Be7  8.Bxc6 bxc6!     ?

2200. Amateur!

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #33 - 02/06/09 at 16:17:34
Post Tools
Well, we know that one, of course. But we have some points to make about it Smiley.

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 02/06/09 at 15:26:40
Post Tools
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3  Nc6 3.Bb5  f5 4.Nc3 fxe4 5.Nxe4  Nf6 6.Nxf6+ Qxf6  7.Qe2 Be7  8.Bxc6 bxc6! (8..dc6?! looks like a play for a draw, and you must be strong player just to hold a draw... it's unpractical) 9.Qxe5 c5 10.O-O Bb7 11.Re1 ! as sugested by Khalifman is better for white.

2200. Amateur!

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #31 - 02/06/09 at 11:30:12
Post Tools
We have to announce the number of pages long before the books are out. Have none of you ever noticed that the Avrukh book is not 320 pages or Beat the KID not 176?

We will know how big the book is about 3-5 weeks before publication, which will mean in 2-3 weeks from now.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #30 - 02/05/09 at 11:05:22
Post Tools
Hello Mr. Aagaard,

Do you know what the relative coverage will be for each variation given the space constraints? Will the most coverage be given for the most frequently played of the three variations, or the ones that are currently the most fashionable? Will the coverage be presented in the form of complete games, theoretical surveys or a combination of the two?

Looking forward to the publication of the book,

TN

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #29 - 02/05/09 at 10:30:48
Post Tools
As a publisher we would love to see how Black is worse BEFORE we finish the book, so we can answer, whether or not we can or not. WE would like to try  Cool.

Jacob Aagaard
jacob@qualitychess.co.uk

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 02/04/09 at 13:47:26
Post Tools
Jacob Aagaard wrote on 02/04/09 at 10:02:43:
Sabino and I have been laughing our tits off reading the comments in here.

Sabino is busy writing, so I will answer with one simple question:

Can you wait slamming the book until it is out, please?

It seems a fair request... .

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 02/04/09 at 13:25:25
Post Tools
I think black is worse in some Schlieman lines. Can i post them?

2200. Amateur!

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #26 - 02/04/09 at 13:05:22
Post Tools
ANDREW BRETT wrote on 01/03/09 at 11:04:41:
Gajewski- I'll be interested to see what is made of this - some good stuff on Chess pub and still relatively unknown .

Yes, one of my Austrian teammates beat a 2400+ player incredibly easily with this just over a week ago. The guy had obviously never seen it before, so it will obviously be even more effective at lower levels.  Wink
Changing the subject slightly, someone showed me a sort of 'delayed Gajewski' the other day - will this become another weapon in Black's arsenal?

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #25 - 02/04/09 at 10:02:43
Post Tools
Sabino and I have been laughing our tits off reading the comments in here.

Sabino is busy writing, so I will answer with one simple question:

Can you wait slamming the book until it is out, please?

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 01/03/09 at 11:04:41
Post Tools
Just a few random thoughts.

The Marshall is well known  as a drawing weapon at top level - although I have noticed a trend for 17...qh5 and follow up with re7 rather than re6 - see leko and a couple of others rather than the pure Spassky re6 which seems to be under attack - Bacrot played a nice game although Kramnik was the man who played a collosal novelty original against Aronian.

In relation to 15 qe2- Hebden played a pretty interesting Nf4 sac at hastings a couple of days ago- but he seemed to lose the thread and lost.

12 d3 still looks like white has the sunny side of the draw even though black seems to be holding these opposite bishop endings a pawn down. in the qh4 lines take a look at Wells v Hebden Southend 2008 for an unusual rook position.

8 a4 b4 still seems very easy equaliser.

8 d4 nd4 - Ivanchuk seemed to have a slight edge against this but 8..d6 10 be3 is worth a look - see Gawain Jones losing horribly v Chinese at the Olympiad.

8 h3 bb7 9 d3 d5 still seems pretty easy equality

Schliemann a la Radjabov and Carlsen - seems drawish again opposite bishops a pawn down in the main 4 nc3 line. 4 d3 doesn't seem that threatening although topalov has tried it.

Gajewski- I'll be interested to see what is made of this - some good stuff on Chess pub and still relatively unknown . Question is if you go 7 ... 0-0 will you get your Gajewski or Marshall.

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

RMos
Reply #23 - 01/02/09 at 18:54:12
Post Tools
Greetings,

flaviddude wrote on 12/09/08 at 23:21:24:
What no-one has mentioned is that the choice of opening and variation is a matter of style. If you are a super solid technician then the main lines of the Spanish are a great choice. You will blunt white's initiative and then have chances to outplay him.

On the other hand if you prefer to play in a dynamic style then the Marshall still stacks up well. I have the Harding CD on the Marshall which is exellent especially in demonstrating what works and what does not work.  

This is certainly true in my case.

Generally, most players fall into either those who are prepared to wait until the opponent loses interest/heart, whereupon the former takes over the initiative OR those who want to take the game to the opponent.

As a teenager, back in the '70s, I fell firmly into the latter category.

I learned the Marshall through the Batsford book by Wade and Harding (1974 - all 256 pages of it!) expecting to use it against anyone playing the Ruy Lopez as white.

The only problem was that it doesn't start until Black's eighth move.

Everyone played liquorice all-sorts except the Ruy Lopez against me - and even when they did, they deviated earlier. When someone finally did allow me to nonchalantly play 7..., 0-0 ("...I'm just transposing, don't you know..."), they played 8. a4. Angry Cry

Roll Eyes

So I gave up 1...,e5 and switched to 1..., c5 - at least, that way I knew I could take the game to White instead of playing a waiting game.

When you're young, you don't have any sort of technique - except "KILL!!!"  Grin

When you've learned enough to realise that you can out-play opponents without behaving like the proverbial caveman, then other, "quieter" variations may appeal.

Although I still haven't played 1..., e5 in a OTB game, I've played "quieter" versions of the Sicilian.

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo