Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll Question: What do you prefer against 1...e5, 1...c5 and 1...e6?

« Created by: rossia on: 12/24/08 at 08:45:50 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Grandmaster Repertoire 1.e4 by Aagard (Read 31947 times)
najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Grandmaster Repertoire 1.e4 by Aagard
Reply #32 - 11/25/10 at 10:30:35
Post Tools
Here is my take on a 1.e4 repertiore

Against 1...e5
I would recommend the main line Ruy Lopez, however this would requirte a lot of work.

Against 1...c5
I would recommend the Open Sicilain and lines with early Be2. Boleslavsky, Opecensky Najdorf, Classical Dragon, Classical Scheveningen,. Main line Paulsen

Against 1...e6
Tarrasch

Against 1...c6
Panov-Botvinnik Attack

Against 1...Nf6
Exchange Variation

Against 1...d5
Lines with 3.Nf3 not 3.Nc3

Against 1...d6 and 1...g6
150 attack

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #31 - 11/23/10 at 06:42:18
Post Tools
TN wrote on 11/23/10 at 04:03:20:
French - good recommendation but what do you suggest against the Winawer, or even 3...Nc6?

[...]

Scandinavian - I've thought that 3.Nf3 is as good as 3.Nc3, especially since the ...Nc6/...Bg4/...0-0-0 variation is under a cloud these days.

[...]

Ruy Lopez - 5.d3 is a good secondary option, but not really appropriate for a GM Repertoire book. 5.0-0 should be analysed.

[...]

Acc. Dragon - I'm not fond of the Maroczy because I don't think White has full compensation for the pawn after 5...Nf6 6.Nc3 d6 7.Nc2 Bg7 8.Be2 Nd7 9.Bd2 0-0 10.0-0 Nc5 11.b4 Bc3 12.Bc3 Ne4. Nielsen disagrees with me, though.

I'm still hoping just once to see the "Positional" Winawer with 7.Nf3 or 7.h4 covered in depth from a White perspective somewhere... Maybe I never will, because 7.Qg4 is simply stronger!?

How is the 3.Nf3 Scandinavian under a cloud from Black's POV? I thought White had problems demonstrating an edge in the main lines with the pawn grab on d4 (1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nf3 Bg4 4.Be2 Nc6 5.d4 0-0-0 6.c4 Qf5 7.Be3 Bxf3 8.Bxf3 Nxd4 9.Bxd4 Qe6+ 10.Be2 c5 especially). When I recently tried to construct an "easy" (Starting Out-style) 1.e4 repertoire for White I even avoided all this and recommended 6.Be3 e5 7.Nc3 Qa5 8.Nxe5 instead - but if White has any advantage there it's very small indeed.

I'm interested in the 9.d4 Ruy Lopez (not bothering to insert h3); Renet had some good coverage in his time and it still scores OK for White. But I don't think Aagaard is looking for such short cuts.

In the Accelerated Dragon Maroczy, Nc2 is not exactly forced. Why not stick to the main lines? There's also the early f4, transposing to previously underestimated lines covered by Taylor in "Beating the King's Indian and Grünfeld".
« Last Edit: 11/23/10 at 09:04:22 by Stigma »  

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #30 - 11/23/10 at 04:03:20
Post Tools
Bogojump wrote on 11/23/10 at 01:22:15:
I propose to Aagaard :

Against the :

French : 3.Nc3  with Bg5 (enough of Steinitz now. I want Fischers choice here) Tarrasch 3.Nd2 is OK too.
Caro:     3.Nc3

Alekhine : 4.Nf3

Scandinavian :3.Nf3 !? (Kaufmans choice)

Pirc/Modern : 150 Attack

Ruy Lopez with 5.d3 (avoiding Marshall and play a d3 setup against the Berlin Wall which Kasparov  regretted he didnt try out against Kramnik)

Petroff : 5.Nc3 (white has all the fun in this line...and its all boring for black)

Sicilian : Najdorf :Sozin
             Classical :Sozin
             Scheveningen : Sozin
             Dragon : 9.0-0-0 (And refute it once and for all please!)
             Acc.Dragon : Maroczy bind
             Nimzowitsch: 4.Nc3
             Kan: Maroczy bind
             Taimanov :Maroczy bind
             Sveshnikov : 7.Nd5 (not worse than the main lines,at least from a practical point of view)
             Kalashnikov : 6.c4 Be7 7.Bd3  A la Peter Leko.

I think that the Maroczys and Sozins in my suggestion could keep this GM repertoire to less than  5 (fat) books.

I am aware of that this repertoire is not consistent when it proposes both aggressive  and positional lines but I think it is good for our universality to have both aggressive and positional line in ones repertoire.

French - good recommendation but what do you suggest against the Winawer, or even 3...Nc6?

Caro-Kann - Agreed. Black seems to equalise in the Capablanca Variation main line, but 4...Bf5 5.Ng3 Bg6 6.Bc4 e6 7.N1e2 seems due for a resurgence.

Alekhine - thumbs up, the Exchange Variation is everyone else's recommendation.

Scandinavian - I've thought that 3.Nf3 is as good as 3.Nc3, especially since the ...Nc6/...Bg4/...0-0-0 variation is under a cloud these days.

Pirc/Modern - I would have recommended the Austrian Attack, but the 150 Attack is also good.

Ruy Lopez - 5.d3 is a good secondary option, but not really appropriate for a GM Repertoire book. 5.0-0 should be analysed.

Petroff - 5.Nc3 has been causing more headaches for Black than 5.d4 in recent GM praxis. White still needs something good against the ...0-0-0 variations but my instinct says that a good antidote exists for White.

Sicilian Najdorf/Scheveningen/Classical - 6.Bc4 is a good secondary option, but there's a good reason why most of the top players are playing 6.Be3 in the N/S and 6.Bg5 in the Classical. And the English Attack setups are easier for White to play than most of the other Open Sicilian setups for White, which contributes to its popularity.

Dragon - A good choice, but since 9.0-0-0 was recommended in Experts vs. the Sicilian I suspect 9.Bc4 will be covered. If they do go for 9.0-0-0, then they should meet 9...d5 with 10.Qe1 or 10.Kb1.

Acc. Dragon - I'm not fond of the Maroczy because I don't think White has full compensation for the pawn after 5...Nf6 6.Nc3 d6 7.Nc2 Bg7 8.Be2 Nd7 9.Bd2 0-0 10.0-0 Nc5 11.b4 Bc3 12.Bc3 Ne4. Nielsen disagrees with me, though.

Nimzowitsch - Good idea.

Kan/Taimanov - 5.c4 works well against the Kan, but against the Taimanov White will be hard pressed to find an advantage if he avoids the English Attack or the Be2/Be3/0-0 variation.

Sveshnikov - 7.Nd5 is completely toothless. There are a few interesting options after 9.Nd5 but I would recommend the 13.Nb5 sacrifice since that scared a lot of Sveshnikov devotees away from the opening. An interesting surprise weapon is 7.Na3, which could be more testing than 7.Nd5, but such a move is not in the spirit of the series.

Kalashnikov - Black's chances are not worse in the 6.c4 variation. 6.N1c3 a6 7.Na3 b5 8.Nd5 should be played if White wants an edge.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #29 - 11/23/10 at 01:22:15
Post Tools
I propose to Aagaard :

Against the :

French : 3.Nc3  with Bg5 (enough of Steinitz now. I want Fischers choice here) Tarrasch 3.Nd2 is OK too.
Caro:     3.Nc3

Alekhine : 4.Nf3

Scandinavian :3.Nf3 !? (Kaufmans choice)

Pirc/Modern : 150 Attack

Ruy Lopez with 5.d3 (avoiding Marshall and play a d3 setup against the Berlin Wall which Kasparov  regretted he didnt try out against Kramnik)

Petroff : 5.Nc3 (white has all the fun in this line...and its all boring for black)

Sicilian : Najdorf :Sozin
             Classical :Sozin
             Scheveningen : Sozin
             Dragon : 9.0-0-0 (And refute it once and for all please!)
             Acc.Dragon : Maroczy bind
             Nimzowitsch: 4.Nc3
             Kan: Maroczy bind
             Taimanov :Maroczy bind
             Sveshnikov : 7.Nd5 (not worse than the main lines,at least from a practical point of view)
             Kalashnikov : 6.c4 Be7 7.Bd3  A la Peter Leko.

I think that the Maroczys and Sozins in my suggestion could keep this GM repertoire to less than  5 (fat) books.

I am aware of that this repertoire is not consistent when it proposes both aggressive  and positional lines but I think it is good for our universality to have both aggressive and positional line in ones repertoire.

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #28 - 01/01/09 at 22:52:41
Post Tools
TN wrote on 01/01/09 at 21:19:01:
I just looked up this variation in "Revolution in the 70s" by Garry Kasparov (Everyman Chess), and Kasparov tends to agree with MNb's evaluation here, stating that White has no route to an edge and Black equalises against all of White's main tries. Given the book title he quotes mostly games from the 1970's, but the coverage still seems fully satisfactory for the variation.

That's interesting.  I'd be curious as to whether Kasparov seems to have an opinion as to the most critical line (there seem to be three paths for White which have been given a mark of approval by ECO or one of its brethren) ...

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #27 - 01/01/09 at 21:19:01
Post Tools
I just looked up this variation in "Revolution in the 70s" by Garry Kasparov (Everyman Chess), and Kasparov tends to agree with MNb's evaluation here, stating that White has no route to an edge and Black equalises against all of White's main tries. Given the book title he quotes mostly games from the 1970's, but the coverage still seems fully satisfactory for the variation. ECO B, 4th edition (2002) also shares the same view.

This would explain why players such as Michael Adams play the move order 6.Be3 a6 7.Be2 against the Scheviningen, to avoid the afore-mentioned line. Interestingly, it was also suggested in "Starting Out: 1.e4" by Neil McDonald.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #26 - 01/01/09 at 20:05:05
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 01/01/09 at 17:13:50:
kylemeister wrote on 12/31/08 at 22:36:50:
I would have to wonder if there is any significant variation about which the last word has been said ...

The Gréco-Moeller Attack in the Italian and the Damiano Defence.

And I would welcome it if you (or Willempie) could show how White creates problems in the 6.Be2/9...e5 Scheveningen. Pachmann gave straigh equality 25 years ago and I haven't found significant improvements in games played since then. They still might be there of course.

It seems my idea of "significant" was narrower than yours ...    

Regarding the 9...e5 Modern Scheveningen, my first observation is that we've been on the subject before ( http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202122807 ).  Another observation is that, of the books I have seen which don't think White can get an edge after 9...e5, in most cases they consider the best-play lines to be unclear -- which is perhaps in conflict with the idea of easy/straightforward equality or that the variation is on a par with the 5. Qe2 Petroff, for example.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #25 - 01/01/09 at 19:17:04
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 01/01/09 at 17:13:50:
I would have to wonder if there is any significant variation about which the last word has been said ...

And I would welcome it if you (or Willempie) could show how White creates problems in the 6.Be2/9...e5 Scheveningen. Pachmann gave straigh equality 25 years ago and I haven't found significant improvements in games played since then. They still might be there of course.

Is that the Spassky line from his match against Karpov?

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #24 - 01/01/09 at 17:13:50
Post Tools

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #23 - 12/31/08 at 22:36:50
Post Tools

Incidentally the Russian "Modern Chess Opening Encyclopedia" of the 1990s thought that the 6...h6 7. g5 Keres should lead to an edge for White, but overall I have the impression that it has probably been more uniformly considered (in recent times) as falling on the "=" side than has the 9...e5 Modern Schev (e.g. NCO and MCO went for "+=" there).          

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #22 - 12/31/08 at 18:01:19
Post Tools
If the last word hasn't been said yet that means that White has possibilities, doesn't it? That's nice, because 7.g5 is not popular these days. As White I don't worry too much about equality in the Sicilian. One might argue: "1.e4 c5 =, see Kasparov's games" so White's task is to set problems, not to prove an edge.
What I really like is that your recommedations quite deviate from mine. That shows why White should avoid the Anti-Sicilians, were there almost always is only one path to go.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #21 - 12/31/08 at 03:49:37
Post Tools
Thanks for the feedback MNb. I was trying to decide between the 6.Be2 variation and the Keres Attack, but forgot about the ...e5 variation in the former.

Regarding the 6...h6 7.g5 variation: I have attached a file which presents a brief survey on this variation. My conclusion is that Black should equalise, but that the last word in this line hasn't been said yet.

File_B_001.pgn ( 4 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #20 - 12/30/08 at 23:39:39
Post Tools
Excellent repertoire vs. the Sicilian except one: 6.Be2 vs. the Scheveningen allows a fairly easy equality if Black omits ...a6 and plays for ...e5 instead. Consistent is the Keres Attack 6.g4. The old-fashioned 6...h6 7.g5 might be a bit underrated.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #19 - 12/30/08 at 21:07:04
Post Tools
Here is a suggestion of mine for the 'Grandmaster Repertoire 1.e4' series, against the Sicilian and Open Game:

Vs. 1...c5 2.Nf3 d6: Open Sicilian (English Attack vs. Najdorf, with the exception of 6.Be3 e6 7.Be2; 6.Be2 vs. the Scheviningen; Yugoslav Dragon with 9.0-0-0; Richter-Rauzer, mostly with f4 instead of f3)

Vs. 1...c5 2.Nf3 e6: Open Sicilian (Against the 5...Qc7 Taimanov, the critical 6.Be3 a6 7.Be2 Nf6 8.0-0 Bb4 9.Na4; Vs. the 5...a6 Taimanov, the fashionable 6.Be3 Nf6 7.f4; 6.Ndb5 Four Knights; Vs. The Kan, 5.c4 Nf6 6.Nc3)

Vs. 1...c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 and others: Open Sicilian (Maroczy Bind with 5...Bg7 6.Nc2 or 5...Nf6 6.Nc3 Nd4 7.Qd4 d6 8.Be2 Bg7 9.Bg5; the fashionable 11.c4 against the Sveshnikov; 8.Qf6 Lowenthal; 3.Nc3 Nimozwitsch; 3.c4 vs. O'Kelly; 3.d4 cd4 4.Nd4 in the Hyper-Accelerated.

Vs. 1...e5 2.Nf3 Nc6: Ruy Lopez (3...a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.d4; 7...0-0 8.a4; 9.c3 vs. the Open Ruy; 4...d6 5.c3 Bd7 6.d4; Main Line Berlin Wall; 3...Bc5 4.0-0; Against the Schliemann, 4.Nc3 fe4 5.Ne4 Nf6 6.Qe2; 3...d6 4.d4).

Vs. 1...e5: 2.Nf3 (Against the Petroff, 3.d4 Ne4 4.Bd3 d5 5.de5; 6.Bf4 Antoshin Phillidor; 5.g4 Hanham Phillidor)

Feel free to suggest improvements on my given recommendations.

IP Logged

MilenPetrov

Winnie the Pooh Rules
:)

Reply #18 - 12/30/08 at 15:18:08
Post Tools
Against 1...e5 I prefer Scotch. Against 1...c5 I play open sicilian and against 1...e6 i play 3.Nd2 or 3.Nc3 depending on my opponent. But most probably would play 3.Nc3 entering Winawer and playing main lines in the classical and McCuetchon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo