Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Kings Indian (Read 20901 times)
Bibs
God Member

Re: Kings Indian
Reply #24 - 12/15/08 at 09:56:45
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/14/08 at 22:23:45:
Matemax wrote on 12/14/08 at 14:46:14:
Just to throw in another name: GM Zigurds Lanka

He is playing top board 2nd Austrian League, has trained Shirov and is well known for his theoretical work.

... and of course he plays the KI  Smiley

I know him well as we are in the same German team, and yes he is a top-rate theoretician and trainer, but I am not sure about whether his English is quite good enough.

Frankly, as long as the chess is good, I am sure people will not mind too much if the English is wonky. Noone is too fussed about ChessStars in that respect.

He has a great rep through the Shirov books, so sure all would be delighted at having such a contributor.
Anyhow, sure you can translate!

IP Logged

Lou_Cyber

"I didn´t understand that.
It must be true."

Reply #23 - 12/15/08 at 08:55:09
Post Tools
Golubev and Lanka could be excellent authors for the KID section!

I like the system of guest authors too as practised in various sections. Thus we can get real experts von special openings (Prié, Vigus and Rogozenko spring to my mind) and get some stress off the regular authors, who only have to adjust the opening books according to the updates.

A one-time issue wouldn´t be too much of a commitment for an author, perhaps this is the way to go regarding the missing updates. It would as well take off some of the burden of the new KID chap to write the three missing updates and get a grip on the job.

I can understand Heckler and Tony, and both are right. Chesspub is definitely worth it´s money if it functions regularly.

Off topic:
Tony, it could be a good idea to put a short extract of an opening book and one or two analysed games of one sections as advertisement on the net.

More than one person have asked about chesspub in other chessforums, but were not too sure what to expect, wether the annotations were up to their strength, language etc. Might be a good bait for them.

If you try, you may lose. If you don´t try, you have lost.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #22 - 12/14/08 at 22:23:45
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 12/14/08 at 14:46:14:

He is playing top board 2nd Austrian League, has trained Shirov and is well known for his theoretical work.

... and of course he plays the KI  Smiley

I know him well as we are in the same German team, and yes he is a top-rate theoretician and trainer, but I am not sure about whether his English is quite good enough.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #21 - 12/14/08 at 21:06:06
Post Tools
drkodos wrote on 12/14/08 at 17:32:06:
I am not sure how long a business model designed to make sure the proprietor is happy will survive as a viable capitalist enterprise.   The businesses that seem to last are the ones that make their customer base's happy.

I always assumed that if the material was good enough to satisfy me, a grandmaster, then it would also satisfy any chessplayer under 2500 who was serious about his opening study. So far that appears to be the case, at least judging from the number of extra subscribers we get each year.
I am pretty sure that this was a one off blip, and certainly can't imagine it will happen again.

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #20 - 12/14/08 at 17:32:06
Post Tools
Dink Heckler wrote on 12/14/08 at 11:03:22:
. You have to get on top of it. You should be looking to hire responsible people, incentivise them properly, and keep on top of the workflow to head off any issues before they become black holes. Otherwise you need to think whether you have the right business model.

I support Dink Heckler here 100%.   It was not a personal attack, but instead is a series of valid statements and serious concern he has expressed.  It is a most valid perspective, and one that I share.  

I am certain others do as well, but have not the willingness to post because it is not always so easy for many human beings to do in these troubling and awkward moments of life.  

Please notice he does not say it is easy thing to do, only that it is the responsibility of the proprietor to do so.  And, he is correct. I have been of all sides of this business issue, as an owner, as a customer, and as a negligent employee (as a young man!)

I am not just venting, but offering serious and justifiable concern that there will some type of backup plan here so that something is put into place much earlier the next time something similar happens.   And it will happen.  That is a major point.   Someone else will pull this exact same stunt.  Perhaps in a new guise, with a new spin, but it is most foreseeable.  One of the toughest duites all proprietor's face and need to solve is the successful anticipation of problems and obstacles such that viable and workable solutions are ready to go before such foreseeable problems occur.  

Mistakes happen, but it is what leaders do AFTERWARDS that define them.  Who wants to live the legacy of Captain Edward John Smith?

I like the site (a lot), and just renewed membership and the KID section is/was a big reason.  I think it a better path that I (and others) post our concerns while remaining a customer than to quietly sulk away.  However, if people/ownership feel otherwise, I understand.   I am not sure how long a business model designed to make sure the proprietor is happy will survive as a viable capitalist enterprise.   The businesses that seem to last are the ones that make their customer base's happy.

To reiterate: I love the site, love the people (most of them), love the material (most of it), and I want it to succeed (fully).  I voted with my $ in the annual election.  

I am drkodos and I approve this message.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #19 - 12/14/08 at 16:02:32
Post Tools
Thx Tony,
For making clear what has happened.
I am sure youre not to blame for this.
Well now that we now what caused this, I understand  that this will take at least some time to solve.
And speaking for myself, I am perfectly willing to wait for a solution.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #18 - 12/14/08 at 14:46:14
Post Tools

... and of course he plays the KI  Smiley

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #17 - 12/14/08 at 12:06:08
Post Tools
I'm afraid you're wrong, it is not just a simple question of hiring 'responsible people', as my first concern is to find strong players who are good at writing and knowledgeable about the openings they cover. I can think of one or two writers we had in the past who always received their on-time bonus but who produced sloppy second-rate material.
My 'business model' is to try and produce openings material of a sufficiently high standard that I can use it myself. If that means hiring professional GMs who play lots of tournaments and can't always get the material on time then so be it.
As far as I am aware this is the first time in nearly ten years that we have encountered this particular problem, as players are normally very eager ... at least at the beginning! Undecided

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #16 - 12/14/08 at 11:03:22
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/13/08 at 17:22:01:
Dink Heckler wrote on 12/12/08 at 20:42:44:
You simply can't run a subscription service on this basis.

I liked PK's books, he was highly recommended, he kept promising to send me the material every time I saw him or emailed him, but never did!! I am frankly amazed that someone would resign almost before beginning and leave me with 3 months to catch up, but I don't really see what I can do apart from to try picking up the pieces.  Angry

Tony, I have some sympathy, since by and large, chessplayers probably aren't the most industrious bunch, and hence you're always going to have some issues with your contractors. But having said that, it's your job to manage these issues. You can't just wring your hands and complain about feckless contractors. You have to get on top of it. You should be looking to hire responsible people, incentivise them properly, and keep on top of the workflow to head off any issues before they become black holes. Otherwise you need to think whether you have the right business model.

This sort of thing isn't impossible. Alex Baburin puts out a quality publication every day, never missing a day. Obviously they have to throw some flannel in occasionally, but so what. Plently of flannel in the monthly updates as well.

My sense is that you're reluctant to take responsibility for these issues. If it happened once or twice, OK, blame the contractors, but when it becomes a more regular issue, it's reasonable to ask the proprietor what he intends to do about it (and I should add that hope, optimism, and faith in human nature are not really strategies).

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Mikhail_Golubev

Reply #15 - 12/14/08 at 00:23:18
Post Tools
hard to say anything, I thought that Viktor is doing this job
currently I am busy, playing a tournament at ICC  Sad
my email address is easy to find

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #14 - 12/14/08 at 00:09:14
Post Tools
Mr Golubev
Sorry re: lack of clarity.
In doing the King's Indian section here at ChessPub

IP Logged

Mikhail_Golubev

Reply #13 - 12/13/08 at 23:57:52
Post Tools
in what? (??)

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #12 - 12/13/08 at 23:42:20
Post Tools
Pete Wells  - yes, very disappointing.

See Golubev just posted here. Is he available and interested perchance?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #11 - 12/13/08 at 17:22:01
Post Tools
Dink Heckler wrote on 12/12/08 at 20:42:44:
You simply can't run a subscription service on this basis.

I liked PK's books, he was highly recommended, he kept promising to send me the material every time I saw him or emailed him, but never did!! I am frankly amazed that someone would resign almost before beginning and leave me with 3 months to catch up, but I don't really see what I can do apart from to try picking up the pieces.  Angry

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #10 - 12/13/08 at 15:35:08
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/12/08 at 17:38:00:
I'm afraid I have some bad news: PK has already resigned!!  Cry
I hope to get his October update, and am currently trying to sort out a replacement for the others.

Perhaps you should ask a well known guy from Barbados who spents half of his life studying chess and the other half on ICC or on chesspub.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo