Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Kings Indian (Read 13812 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Kings Indian
Reply #39 - 12/19/08 at 00:28:41
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 12/18/08 at 08:38:39:
Some serious misunderstanding (somehow I did not express myself well....) "You" was adressed at Top-notch  Smiley
So... Tony should think about if Toppster can do it...

Aha! I did wonder! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #38 - 12/18/08 at 22:47:30
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 12/18/08 at 08:38:39:
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/17/08 at 21:12:55:
Matemax wrote on 12/17/08 at 07:55:36:
Well perhaps Tony should think about if you can do it? I would honestly appreciate that! Wink

I suppose I would have to learn how to play the KID myself first!

Some serious misunderstanding (somehow I did not express myself well....) "You" was adressed at Top-notch  Smiley

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mate, and I certainly wouldn't be averse to filling in temporarily, but the point seems moot now, as Tony has apparently resolved the crisisfor the moment.

Regards,

Toppy Smiley 

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #37 - 12/18/08 at 08:38:39
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/17/08 at 21:12:55:
Well perhaps Tony should think about if you can do it? I would honestly appreciate that! Wink

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #36 - 12/17/08 at 23:32:23
Post Tools
The November update has arrived, now I am just waiting for the October one ( Huh) and then will get them both online ASAP.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #35 - 12/17/08 at 21:12:55
Post Tools

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #34 - 12/17/08 at 07:57:36
Post Tools
Quote:
Surprising as it may seem, it often takes me a whole day to get some of the updates online, and that is only because I am reasonably proficient in HTML, English, and ... chess

medivial times here - HTML, brrrr - change the site to typo3 or plone - a little investement, but a big step for mankind

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #33 - 12/17/08 at 07:55:36
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 12/17/08 at 00:45:37:
I believe updates should be inspirational, full of content, instructive across the board, Intelligible (Readable English being a must - None of that 'Black's position is full of perspective' in the annotations nonsense please), entertaining and ohh yes....timely.

I hope the KID section gets a permanent host soon and may that person whoever it maybe possess the spirit, energy and expertise to do the section justice.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #32 - 12/17/08 at 02:52:41
Post Tools
Peter Wells is impressive as an author but to my knowledge lacks practical experience on either side of the KID, and that always made me worry a bit, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Richard doing double and triple duty is quite commmendable but surely that must affect the final product and not in a positive way dependable though he is.

Obviously Peter has a lot of experience on the White side, and if I understood correctly was thinking about playing it as Black as well.
I expect Richard's update will be more than satisfactory, but it is only a stop-gap, of course.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #31 - 12/17/08 at 02:47:45
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 12/15/08 at 17:57:59:
I would say this is about 20 hours per month

Surprising as it may seem, it often takes me a whole day to get some of the updates online, and that is only because I am reasonably proficient in HTML, English, and ... chess! Undecided
Peter Wells is commonly referred to as 'PK', presumably because of his initials! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Reply #30 - 12/17/08 at 01:40:15
Post Tools
By the way who is PK?

Toppy Smiley

I was wondering the same. Is it Garry's little known brother, Perry Kasparov?

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #29 - 12/17/08 at 00:45:37
Post Tools
To be honest, Mikhalevski, as strong he was, I never really looked forward to or enjoyed any of his updates. Some may opine that this is because I am an advocate of the Black side and Mikhal clearly was not, this could be partly true but it goes much deeper than that.

His style was too dry for my taste and the game selections each month too inflexible and annotated in such a way as to be hardly accessible to players below master strength or unfamiliar with the KID. Its all well and good to only examine games between the elite each month, but to do so exclusively makes the updates much less instructive for many players who could benefit from occasionally seeing how the KID is played lower down the elo scale where it is easier to illustrate how typical mistakes are punished or what happens when second rate strategies are adopted or to illustrate why mainlines became mainlines.

I believe updates should be inspirational, full of content, instructive across the board, Intelligible (Readable English being a must - None of that 'Black's position is full of perspective' in the annotations nonsense please), entertaining and ohh yes....timely.

Peter Wells is impressive as an author but to my knowledge lacks practical experience on either side of the KID, and that always made me worry a bit, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Richard doing double and triple duty is quite commmendable but surely that must affect the final product and not in a positive way dependable though he is.

I hope the KID section gets a permanent host soon and may that person whoever it maybe possess the spirit, energy and expertise to do the section justice.

By the way who is PK?

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #28 - 12/15/08 at 17:57:59
Post Tools
Quote:
It has certainly occurred to me that the site may need a full-time boss who can develop it further, rather than someone who spends a large part of his time playing tournaments and matches?!

I dont think this site can give someone a full-time job - this would cost (lets say...) 30.000 euros or even more a year. Well a lot of subscribers are needed...

But probably you should hire someone on an hourly basis who checks the forum, gets in timely contact with the authors, fills in the updates and keeps the system running. I would say this is about 20 hours per month and should cost you about ... lets say 250 hours a year for 25 euros = 6.250 euro a year. That would be about 80 additional gold subscribers, but concerning a rising quality which remains on a high level, this should be a possible goal.

But I remember writing some months ago that combining two roles - a chessplayer and a businesman - is very difficult. Most people are only capable of becoming excellent in one field, smart people therefore make a decision and get in people who complete their strenghts by fullfilling their weaknesses. Some points in life need a decision - keep on playing professional chess or invest in your ability as a business man  Huh

Easy to say, hard to do  Smiley

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #27 - 12/15/08 at 17:05:43
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/15/08 at 16:45:58:
It has certainly occurred to me that the site may need a full-time boss who can develop it further, rather than someone who spends a large part of his time playing tournaments and matches?! Cry

This is an excellent problem to have!

I am confident you will do whatever it takes to keep this site the number one for Chess Opening Theory.  Good things on the horizon, as so happens after a rough storm.

I will continue to vote for and $upport you, even in the roughest seas.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #26 - 12/15/08 at 16:45:58
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 12/15/08 at 09:56:45:
Frankly, as long as the chess is good, I am sure people will not mind too much if the English is wonky. Noone is too fussed about ChessStars in that respect.

I wonder if that is really so?! At the moment I spend a lot of time going through some of our contributors' English and correcting it, and would prefer to save this time for other, more enjoyable pursuits. If no-one really minds then I can leave it in the form I receive it. Undecided

I should definitely have two KID updates online before I go to England for Xmas next Tuesday, from PK and Richard (who has kindly stepped in at very short notice once again). Smiley

Dink - I have tweaked the bonus/fine (depending on which way you look at it) a couple of times and generally it works well. However, I do allow new contributors a lot of leeway, my thinking being that it takes a while to really get to grips with a section, but this might need rethinking.

It has certainly occurred to me that the site may need a full-time boss who can develop it further, rather than someone who spends a large part of his time playing tournaments and matches?! Cry

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #25 - 12/15/08 at 11:24:49
Post Tools
To echo Drkodos, I want to make clear that I'm not throwing pebbles in the pond just to make a splash. I've been a subscriber to all sections for a few years now, and like the site, the content and the people. In fact, I've just renewed my sub the other week. But it's not a completely trivial decision. OK, 89 EUR or whatever it was isn't a make-or-break decision, but it's a decent percentage of my annual chess literature spend, so one always has to think if one is getting VFM.

If the subscriber base is growing, that's great, but one can't be complacent about it. The barriers to entry are quite low, I would imagine, so if a competitor saw a gap for timely updates from quality contributors, then they might decide to take you on. No need to give them that gap in the first place.

Re Tony's comment about on-time bonuses, obviously he needs to decide what works best. But this goes to my comment about structuring incentives. If it was my business, my inclination would not be to have on-time bonuses since filing copy on time should be the default option. If contributors start to believe that filing on time is something exceptional to be rewarded, then the default position becomes late filing (unless the bonuses are set very high). The particular structuring is up to the boss, but this is just an example, with my economist hat on, of how incentives can matter, and have to be carefully thought out and tweaked if necessary.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo