Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Palliser Starting out: D-pawn Attacks (Read 30047 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Palliser Starting out: D-pawn Attacks
Reply #34 - 02/20/09 at 02:29:08
Post Tools
Welcome, especially if you like football (see Chit chat). Could you provide us with some sample lines? That makes a debate easier.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Diemerlin
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 02/19/09 at 13:39:09
Post Tools
Hello and Sorry. Moved by the enthusiasm I have not submitted. I am a player of 2040 Fide, and live in Valencia, Spain.
Try to improve my English, sorry.

IP Logged

Diemerlin
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 02/19/09 at 13:36:22
Post Tools
I am a player with the Dutch black and I do not see much problem in playing with white Bd3 (and perhaps b3 and Bb2) Ne5 (at some point not too distant) followed by f4 constructing the stone-wall with a time of more . Only for this variant does not seem a bad use and Moreover is the most aggressive I've seen against Grunfeld / Colle.
I know that the black can not avoid it!
« Last Edit: 02/19/09 at 15:37:57 by Diemerlin »  

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #31 - 02/11/09 at 20:42:42
Post Tools
Regarding the Snow/Rudel discussion
1.d4,d5 2.Nf3,Nf6 3.e3,g6 4.c4,Bg7 5.cxd5,0-0
The oldest game reaching this position is Bird-Blackburn (New York 1889)
so perhaps we could call this the Blackburn variation Smiley
6.Be2,Nxd5
7.e4 (Here the 1889 game diverges with 7.Nc3)
7...Nb6
8.0-0

This is perhaps Whites best but certainly most practical answer if only to avoid massive theoretical discussions, as 8.Nc3,Nc6 9.Be3,Bg4 or 8.Nc3,Bg4 9.Be3,Nc6
(by transposition) leads to a well know grunfeld position
involving Korchnoi and Dorfmann(among other GMs on the white side, and Kasparov, Svidler, J.Polgar and Vallejo Pons in the Black camp.
8.Nc3,Nc6 9.Be3,Bg4 10.d5,Na5 11.Bd4,Bxf3 12.gxf3,Qd6 13.Bxg7,Kxg7= as Korchnoi-Kasparov, Wyk aan Zee/Corus, 2000
8......Nc6  
(8....Bg4 and 8...c5 have also been played)
9.Be3,      
(9.d5,Ne5 10.Nxe5,Bxe5 11.Nd2,Qd6 is playable for black Roessel-Baerman, corr. 2000)
9.......Bg4
10.Nd2,f5
11.d5,fxe4
(with lively pieceplay)
The following game from this position is interesting
Vunder-Kopasov, St.Petersburg (RUS), 2007::
12.dxc6 exf 13.Bxf3,Bxf3 14.Nf3,Qxd1 15.Raxd1,Bxb2
16.cxb7 (imo an inaccurate moveorder: better 16.Rb1,Ba3 17.cxb7)
16......., Rb8
17.Rb1 ,
17......  , Ba3
(17...Na4!? 18.Bxa7 Rxb7 19.Be3,c5= which is why 16.Rb1 is more accurate)
18.Rb3 ,        
18........, Bd6!
(only move)
19.a4!  , a5     (I definitely preferr white here)
20.Rb5 , Rxb7 =          
(I like 20.Nd4 with the idea 20...Rxb7?! 21.Nc6 and how is black to get his b7-rook into play again)

IP Logged

BABYBIRD
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 02/11/09 at 17:03:17
Post Tools
Edited:
I'm interested in: 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 (d6) 4.Bf4
White plays in 150 attack style but without e4 played.
Is this covered in D-pawn attacks book?

The answer is YES, the 2 lines of the 150 Attack are covered (3...Bg7/d6 4.e4, and 3...d5 4.Bf4). The coverage is lighter than the Colle, but there is maybe less materiel, after all. I'm really happy with the explanations of the line 3...d5 4.Bf4, but I would really have appreciated more about the Pirc line (3..Bg7 4.e4 (nothing else examined here))

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #29 - 02/05/09 at 11:43:09
Post Tools
I'm interested in: 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 (d6) 4.Bf4

White plays in 150 attack style but without e4 played.

Is this covered in D-pawn attacks book?

Thx

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

Rookpawn
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 01/18/09 at 17:26:16
Post Tools
Ive went through both Palliser's New Book Stating Out D-Pawn Attacks and Rudels Zuke'em, and find them both to be quite interesting. As an aspiring Colle player, both text have there advantages.
I like Rudel book because of the insight and simple straight forward ideas he presents behind the move. (Subject to debate in some cases, but that is good also!)
Palliser's book is a great companion to Starting out: The Colle. His analysis is solid and concise. There is alot of information In his books that well take time to go through, digest and debate.
If I had to recommend three books on the Colle I dont think you could do any better. Along with this outstanding forum and Rudels site Colle players have a lot to be happy about.
  (In addition: The Colle player would also be happy with the Chess Base program by Olienkov on the Colle sytem.)

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #27 - 01/18/09 at 11:43:48
Post Tools
Michele,

Will you please stop posting in all caps.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

michele
YaBB Newbies

My Life is a Rook Ending.
 I hope its Drawn! ;-))

Reply #26 - 01/18/09 at 02:56:57
Post Tools
THE PROBLEM WITH D5 WHEN WHITE HAS NOT PLAYED NC3 IS THAT BLACK CANNOT CAPTURE AT C3,... RESHEVSKY SHOWED THAT YOU CAN RETREAT THE KNIGHT IN SOME CASES,... BUT THAT WAS MORE A RESULT OF HIS TALENT,... BOTVINNIK / SMYSLOV WOULD NOT EVEN ALLOW THE POSITION ON THE BOARD.

IP Logged

James_Ells
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #25 - 01/09/09 at 20:21:51
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 01/08/09 at 18:21:09:
Hi James,

Could you -- without, obviously, unethically quoting too much analysis from Rudel's book -- give a few lines here?

Hi Michael,
I can't quote analysis of Mr. Rudel book - in a ethically way of course - because I don't have the book. I read the preface of GM Summerscale in my local chess store. Then I discovered, thanks to Mr. Snow post above, the ZuK'em forum, the very nice Mr. Rudel'S website  and the excerpts of his book. So, starting from Glenn Snow post, I've worked out some lines find and analysing games in databases. We can discuss some lines, if you want to, just tell me which ones, but I can't simply quoting anything from Zuk'em. Sorry.  I apologize for my english too.
James Ells

Stat rosa pristine nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #24 - 01/08/09 at 18:21:09
Post Tools
Hi James,

Could you -- without, obviously, unethically quoting too much analysis from Rudel's book -- give a few lines here?

IP Logged

James_Ells
YaBB Newbies

Reply #23 - 01/08/09 at 15:53:35
Post Tools
Glenn Snow wrote on 01/08/09 at 12:31:08:
I wasn't sure if you'd misread it or not.  Smiley  I just didn't want to take credit for someone's work.  5...0-0 was actually played against me in an ICC blitz game but I don't remember who.  I'm not sure when the move was first played but it was sometime ago.  

I'm not sure which plan is best either against the Schelechter either.  But if you're wanting a sharp struggle maybe you shouldn't be playing 3.e3.  I'm not sure there is a good way for White to sharpen the struggle in this variation.

Ok so everything is well what ends well (o something like that...sorry for my poor english). I've read the foreword of GM Summerscale to Rudel's book, and I want to congratulate with Mr. Rudel for his smart idea against the "Sneaky Grunfeld" . Good job indeed!
I discovered that Smith and Hall have named this variation too. They offered instead a reversed Catalan with an extra move to trouble Black.
I'll dig with it! Seems interesting, what do you think? I'm asking because they often...miss...something in their books.  Smiley
When I was a child I believed there were Winning Openings or Attacking - Killing - Blasting openings. Today I'm sure I was wrong. Maybe the Geller gambit is more suited for a sharp struggle in the Slav, but I trust I can seek the fight and a razored game even with e3, as GMs games shows. The slow Slav can leads to a complicated clash, like in the Latvian or in the main line if white castles long. It's enough for me: no early simplyfications and a decent attacking possibilities.
Kind Regards
James Ells

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #22 - 01/08/09 at 12:31:08
Post Tools
I wasn't sure if you'd misread it or not.  Smiley  I just didn't want to take credit for someone's work.  5...0-0 was actually played against me in an ICC blitz game but I don't remember who.  I'm not sure when the move was first played but it was sometime ago. 

I'm not sure which plan is best either against the Schelechter either.  But if you're wanting a sharp struggle maybe you shouldn't be playing 3.e3.  I'm not sure there is a good way for White to sharpen the struggle in this variation.

IP Logged

James_Ells
YaBB Newbies

Reply #21 - 01/08/09 at 12:09:26
Post Tools
Glenn Snow wrote on 01/06/09 at 22:23:31:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Snow,
thank you very much indeed for sharing your analysis. I think this way to meet the Grunfeld Anti Colle is very effective. Powerbooks and others silicon trees tend to agree with a performance a way beyond 2800! The plan of playing Be2 delaying moving the queen's knight and play e4 is very strong. Imho better than transposing in the main line of e3 Grunfeld.
I've a piquant for the 10.d5 push in the line you gave, but I agree that Nbd2 is positionally stronger. Your 11.dxc6 is tempting but I think 11.Nbd2 is more cunning. Moreover Black can deviate early with 8...c5 seeking a lively piece play with f5 to follow if white reacts with d5. Even a pure Benoni scheme with e6 seems solid.
When I'll manage to understand how to do...I'll post some analisys!  Embarrassed
Black can even choose to transpose into the main line of Schelechter playing early a timely c6. What's your (and Mr. Rudel) opinion? I still haven't found t way to force Schelechter variation in an anyrate sharp struggle. Suggestions and ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance
James Ells

To give credit where credit is due I want to make it clear that the plan with the delayed e4 was developed by David Rudel.  I just argued that 5...0-0 delaying the capture on d5 was strong.  Not as strong as I first thought though and I think this remains a viable weapon for White.  I'm no expert on the Schelechter variation but if I remember correctly there is at least one thread available on this forum and Rudel covers it in his book Zuke Em and (if you can find a copy) Palliser covers it in his Play 1.d4! book.  There is also one game covered by Flear in the Gruenfeld section of chesspublishing.com.

Dear Mr. Snow, thanks for the kind answer. I sincerely apologize if I misread or misundrestood your post. I didn't mean to spoil Mr. Rudel of his merits. I was thinking that 5...0-0 was an idea of yours. So it was 10.d5
Mr. Rudel has all my compliments for his efforts and for his work (even if I can't stand the cover of his book). I've no problem to admit that many books written by titled and renowed GMs are good only for the seller. But this is another story. I'm still interested to discussing that lines if you want to.
My main problem with the Schelechter is there are too different suggestions!  Smiley Ward, Palliser, Cox, Flear...even Burgess if my memory helps me. I' m a newbie to the d4 world, and I've met the Schelecter only twice otb (with bad results). Some authors say the king's bishop is better placed on e2, others on d3. Seeking play on the queenside...no on the other side. with a slighty better but a dull endgame in prospect. I wonder if someone that has more experience and more skill than me, can give some advices and example games for a sharp struggle. I don't know if the recent Avrukh book deals with it. But it would be nice to know which games he quoted.
Sorry but I'havent found yet the post in this forum you mentioned, so I can't say nothing about it. But thank you anyway.
Kind regards
James Ells
« Last Edit: 01/08/09 at 15:25:25 by James_Ells »  

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #20 - 01/06/09 at 22:23:31
Post Tools
Quote:
Dear Mr. Snow,
thank you very much indeed for sharing your analysis. I think this way to meet tha Grunfeld Anti Colle is very effective. Powerbooks and others silicon trees tend to agree with a performance a way beyond 2800! The plan of playing Be2 delaying moving the queen's knight and play e4 is very strong. Imho better than transposing in the main line of e3 Grunfeld.
I've a piquant for the 10.d5 push in the line you gave, but I agree that Nbd2 is positionally stronger. Your 11.dxc6 is tempting but I think 11.Nbd2 is more cunning. Moreover Black can deviate early with 8...c5 seeking a lively piece play with f5 to follow if white reacts with d5. Even a pure Benoni scheme with e6 seems solid.
When I'll manage to understand how to do...I'll post some analisys!  Embarrassed
Black can even choose to transpose into the main line of Schelechter playing early a timely c6. What's your (and Mr. Rudel) opinion? I still haven't found t way to force Schelechter variation in an anyrate sharp struggle. Suggestions and ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance
James Ells

To give credit where credit is due I want to make it clear that the plan with the delayed e4 was developed by David Rudel.  I just argued that 5...0-0 delaying the capture on d5 was strong.  Not as strong as I first thought though and I think this remains a viable weapon for White.  I'm no expert on the Schelechter variation but if I remember correctly there is at least one thread available on this forum and Rudel covers it in his book Zuke Em and (if you can find a copy) Palliser covers it in his Play 1.d4! book.  There is also one game covered by Flear in the Gruenfeld section of chesspublishing.com.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo