Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Palliser Starting out: D-pawn Attacks (Read 30135 times)
James_Ells
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Palliser Starting out: D-pawn Attacks
Reply #19 - 01/06/09 at 17:31:04
Post Tools
My response there was:

Quote:
Your idea is certainly more challenging for Black than I thought, but how about 8...Nc6 9.Be3 Bg4 10.Nbd2 (10.e5 and 10.d5!? Bxb2 11.dxc6 Bxa1 12.cxb7 Rb8 13.Ba6 are also possible but look wrong, I'm listening if someone wants to show otherwise though!) and now only 10...f5 with a very complicated but perhaps balanced position.  I brought this topic up in the chesspub forum so I'm going to transfer our responses there in case others want to give feedback.

My assessment at this point is that although Black has equality it's certainly tricky, not only getting there but also playing it, and represents White's best effort to cause Black problems after 3...g6 (Under "Sneaky Gruenfeld" in his book.) [/quote]

Dear Mr. Snow,
thank you very much indeed for sharing your analysis. I think this way to meet tha Grunfeld Anti Colle is very effective. Powerbooks and others silicon trees tend to agree with a performance a way beyond 2800! The plan of playing Be2 delaying moving the queen's knight and play e4 is very strong. Imho better than transposing in the main line of e3 Grunfeld.
I've a piquant for the 10.d5 push in the line you gave, but I agree that Nbd2 is positionally stronger. Your 11.dxc6 is tempting but I think 11.Nbd2 is more cunning. Moreover Black can deviate early with 8...c5 seeking a lively piece play with f5 to follow if white reacts with d5. Even a pure Benoni scheme with e6 seems solid.
When I'll manage to understand how to do...I'll post some analisys!  Embarrassed
Black can even choose to transpose into the main line of Schelechter playing early a timely c6. What's your (and Mr. Rudel) opinion? I still haven't found t way to force Schelechter variation in an anyrate sharp struggle. Suggestions and ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance
James Ells

Stat rosa pristine nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #18 - 01/05/09 at 00:15:15
Post Tools
Rudel responded to my post (about 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 g6 4.c4 Bg7 5.cxd5 0-0!) in his forum with:

Quote:
Hey Glenn,
This note passed completely under my radar!! I wasn't ignoring you.

I agree this is in an important line, since Black has stopped White from advantageously using Bb5. Still, I don't see what Black can do with the position after 8.O-O.

Pressuring d4 seems to backfire. White's position looks awkward, but Black has no convenient way to put pressure on e4. 8...Bg4 seems natural, forcing 9.Nbd2 before White can play Be3, but then after 9...Nc6 White would just play 10.d5.

White is quite happy for his Queen to have free transport to the e2 square after 10...Ne5 11.Nxe5 Bxe2 12.Qxe2 Bxe5.

8...Nc6 immediately seems better, but after 9.Be3 Black is forced to play 9...f5!? if he wants to cause any problems...and that certainly gives White some opportunities.

My response there was:

Quote:
Your idea is certainly more challenging for Black than I thought, but how about 8...Nc6 9.Be3 Bg4 10.Nbd2 (10.e5 and 10.d5!? Bxb2 11.dxc6 Bxa1 12.cxb7 Rb8 13.Ba6 are also possible but look wrong, I'm listening if someone wants to show otherwise though!) and now only 10...f5 with a very complicated but perhaps balanced position.  I brought this topic up in the chesspub forum so I'm going to transfer our responses there in case others want to give feedback.

My assessment at this point is that although Black has equality it's certainly tricky, not only getting there but also playing it, and represents White's best effort to cause Black problems after 3...g6 (Under "Sneaky Gruenfeld" in his book.)

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #17 - 01/02/09 at 01:27:17
Post Tools
I would think 5...Qc6 should be OK for Black.  Probably having played ...e6 rather ...Nf6 already gives him added flexibility for example in the Ne5 and g4 variations g5 doesn't hit a Night on f6 or ...Nxd6, dxe5 once again there is no Knight attacked.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - 01/01/09 at 17:25:51
Post Tools
With the white bishop locked in on c1 Black may consider ...Qc7. It will take White a few moves to get a rook on c1, giving Black enough tempi to find a safer square for the queen (b8). Sure Black is a bit cramped then, but White's development isn't optimal either. Or am I missing something (again)?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #15 - 12/31/08 at 23:26:01
Post Tools
After 1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 c6 3.e3 Bg4 4.c4, I like the idea of the dynamic option  of a Dutch Stonewall with the Bishop outside the pawn chain but keep in mind Black may not have time for this if White plays an early Qb3.  Black should be fine of course with perhaps something like 4...e6 5.Qb3 Qb6 or maybe there's another good way of defending the b-pawn.

IP Logged

Kowl

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 12/31/08 at 22:41:12
Post Tools
Glenn Snow wrote on 12/31/08 at 21:17:43:
Certain 2...c5, after 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3, has the added benefit of keeping the f-pawn free as MNb points out.  However, if you answer 1.Nf3 with 1...Nf6 then after 2.d4 d5 3.e3 c6, does White really have any real alternative (speaking in terms of trying to get an advantage) to playing 4.c4?

in general they play 4.Bd3 against me.

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.d4 d5 3.e3 c6 4.Bd3 ~ is this move order wrong for white?  I tend to play 4...Bg4.

What I'd like to know is would white be less concerned about this variation than if I'd have responded 3...Bf5 or does it have equal merit?

In reply to MNb no I've never been fond of a stonewall but it may be a consideration in my future repertoire. If I alter my move order.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #13 - 12/31/08 at 21:17:43
Post Tools
Certainly 2...c6, after 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3, has the added benefit of keeping the f-pawn free as MNb points out.  However, if you answer 1.Nf3 with 1...Nf6 then after 2.d4 d5 3.e3 c6, does White really have any real alternative (speaking in terms of trying to get an advantage) to playing 4.c4?
« Last Edit: 12/31/08 at 23:17:51 by Glenn Snow »  

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 12/31/08 at 20:40:48
Post Tools
Don't you like a Stonewall with your Queen's Bishop out either? 1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 c6 3.e3 Bg4 idea 4...e6; 5...f5 (or 5...Nd7 first) etcetera. Once I got the chance to play this as Black in a serious game and my, my attack went smoothly.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Kowl

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 12/31/08 at 11:37:05
Post Tools
From the black side is 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.d4 d5 3.e3 c6 anything to fear for white or is it simply not as good as the afore mentioned g6 or Bf5?

i'm a semi-slav player who really doesnt like having to play against the Colle but if 3...c6 isnt all that good I'm going to have to look at Bf5 i think as an alternative.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #10 - 12/31/08 at 03:01:31
Post Tools
I agree with you...I too like Pallisar's books a lot. Made a lot of points using his Tango!
Just a note: Lets not worry about the evaluation of a Class B player. We all have chess engines.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #9 - 12/29/08 at 01:05:23
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 12/29/08 at 00:45:50:
It seems to me that there may be some advantage in playing 5...0-0 instead of 5...Nxd5 (which was played by Geller against Gulko in a USSR championship, incidentally), but after 5...0-0 it would be natural for White to try 6. h3 or maybe 6. Be2.  For example 6. h3 Nxd5 7. e4 Nb6 8. Nc3 -- a position which could plausibly be reached by the 5...Nxd5 move order -- has been variously considered slightly or clearly better for White with the added move Be3.  It seems an interesting question how much the lost tempo hurts White.  In the position after 8. Nc3 I'd be inclined to play 8...c5 (which seems maybe a direct way of trying to exploit the lack of Be3); glancing at a database I saw only one game with that (a perhaps GM-vs.-GM encounter which was quickly drawn). 

But what is this about Black making a gambit out of it?   

Rudel gives analysis on 5...0-0 6.Be2 and now 6...Bf5, 6...Bg4, and 6...b6 concluding that White is better.  His mainline with 5...Nxd5 is 6.e4 Nb6 7.a4!! a5 8.Bb5+ which is a nice sequence of moves designed to lesson the pressure on d4.  Obviously with 5...0-0 6.Be2 Nxd5 that is impossible and I think Black is OK here.  I also looked at 5...0-0 6.h3 for White but came to the conclusion Black was doing well there too.  Certainly the safest thing for White to do is to go into one of the e3/Nf3 Gruenfeld lines as recommended by Palliser in his book Starting out: the colle.  By the way, wanted to mention that I don't receive any compensation for mentioning Palliser's books!  I just like them.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 12/29/08 at 00:45:50
Post Tools
It seems to me that there may be some advantage in playing 5...0-0 instead of 5...Nxd5 (which was played by Geller against Gulko in a USSR championship, incidentally), but after 5...0-0 it would be natural for White to try 6. h3 or maybe 6. Be2.  For example 6. h3 Nxd5 7. e4 Nb6 8. Nc3 -- a position which could plausibly be reached by the 5...Nxd5 move order -- has been variously considered slightly or clearly better for White with the added move Be3.  It seems an interesting question how much the lost tempo hurts White.  In the position after 8. Nc3 I'd be inclined to play 8...c5 (which seems maybe a direct way of trying to exploit the lack of Be3); glancing at a database I saw only one game with that (a perhaps GM-vs.-GM encounter which was quickly drawn). 

But what is this about Black making a gambit out of it?

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #7 - 12/29/08 at 00:02:49
Post Tools
dmp4373 wrote:
Quote:
However, Rudel does deal with 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d5 3.e3 g6 (he calls it the Sneaky Grunfeld) in an original way which is another example of what I was referring to in my last post. Rudel suggests (after 3... g6) White play 4.c4 Bg7 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.e4 saying he found 4 games in his database with this position and White won them all.

This is certainly a good try for White but there is a big problem in my opinion.  Black can simply play 5...0-0 and capture the pawn on the next move.  Rudel only covers Black making a gambit out of it.  I posted this on Rudel's C-Z forum but no ideas for White have been posted.  Having said that I don't regret my decision to buy the book.  As can be seen, I don't agree with the author on everything but one wanting to follow a decent slightly offbeat repertoire could do a lot worse than to follow some of the suggestions in Rudel's book and in his online articles and posts.  For what it's worth I also bought Palliser's  Starting out: d-pawn attacks and I like that as well. 

My advice is if you're an up and coming player who's hoping to go far then study the main lines but for a club player who's been stuck at 1500 (for example) for over 8 years then these variations might be something that could be understood and played with relative success.

IP Logged

dmp4373

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/28/08 at 05:32:39
Post Tools
saubhikr wrote on 12/28/08 at 03:20:54:
The two main reasons why I gave up Colle was following two lines. Did Pallisar manage to show a winning plan for white in these line

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 g6
1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 Bf5

I had his earlier book which couldn't satisfy me in these lines. The line 2 is played in top level with Nh4 idea etc. But I play Colle to avoid main lines; so it didn't help.

Instead of "winning plan" I suppose you meant, "a way to get an advantage out of the opening". Well, the answer to either way it's phrased is no.

However, Rudel does deal with 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d5 3.e3 g6 (he calls it the Sneaky Grunfeld) in an original way which is another example of what I was referring to in my last post. Rudel suggests (after 3... g6) White play 4.c4 Bg7 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.e4 saying he found 4 games in his database with this position and White won them all.

I don't mean to be a cheerleader for his book, but there has been some severe criticism that I think is totally unjustified. My gosh, the man worked so hard on it, so what if he's an amateur. Like with any other opening book, throw out the bad and keep the good. At least give him credit for his effort.

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #5 - 12/28/08 at 03:20:54
Post Tools
The two main reasons why I gave up Colle was following two lines. Did Pallisar manage to show a winning plan for white in these line

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 g6
1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 Bf5

I had his earlier book which couldn't satisfy me in these lines. The line 2 is played in top level with Nh4 idea etc. But I play Colle to avoid main lines; so it didn't help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo