Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mihael Marin's Spanish (Read 11697 times)
Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Re: Mihael Marin's Spanish
Reply #7 - 12/16/08 at 16:36:08
Post Tools
I'm slightly confused...you do not like the Rubenstein because of the number of draws, and yet want to play the Zaitsev which allows 11.Ng5 Rf8 12.Nf3 Re8 13.Ng5 Rf8 draw?

IP Logged

Raoh
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/16/08 at 16:30:57
Post Tools
yeah i might just do that... I dunno the prices or anything since i found out about this site today...

I just knew that i would pick the wrong book Sad

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #5 - 12/16/08 at 16:15:58
Post Tools
Why don't you just subscribe to chesspublishing? Wink

IP Logged

Raoh
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 12/16/08 at 13:20:47
Post Tools
i'm really sad that i didn't buy the book about the Zaitsev, so i'm wondering is it possible to play the zaitsev just by looking at the games of the GM's? without any subtle positional explanations?

IP Logged

Nightlamp
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 12/16/08 at 12:12:07
Post Tools
Hi,

I bought the same Marin book a month ago, during a tournament. I used it to prepare my (rather important) last round game (my opponent played the 5.d3 variation of the Ruy Lopez). I used Marin's recommendation (Nf6-d7-b6) and beat my young and talentent opponent (2280, like me) rather easily.
I used the Rubinstein variation in some blitz games and on correspondence websites with good success. I guess it rather suits my style, but besides that I have the fullest confidence in it.
I didn't use the Petrosian line yet. I believe it is more difficult to play, but gives sharper positions.

I believe it is also wise to use the book as a starting point. After some time, with the help of a.o. chesspublishing, I think it's rather easy to learn other systems.

IP Logged

Raoh
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/16/08 at 11:56:35
Post Tools
no definetly not above 2600+.
I'm just competing in a tournament to get my candidate master norm, and i'm doing quite good.

I can see that it would be hard for me to be outprepared, however i'm kinda dissapointed because although i played many games with his rubinstein variation, i won only one, drew about 10 and lost 2 (1 due to a huge blunder). They were all blitz games, but i was dissapointed by the fact that i had to practicly wait the entire game, watching what my oponent would do.

That's why i'm a little afraid to apply this variation in tournaments, since i don't like draws when the opponent actually plays the line i want him to play.
I started to play e5 because in my last tournament i drew 5 games as black playing the exachange french.

Anyways i guess what i'm wondering is does anyone have any recomendation for me? which line to choose in the ruy lopez? possibly a chigorin line, like cxd or the keres variation?

And since i just gave 35 euros for a book which the main part i don't like, does anyone have any internet pages or pdf files covering the variations i'd like to play?

I hope i don't seem to nag and nag, but i really like the ruy as black, just don't like the passivity of the marin's systems

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #1 - 12/16/08 at 11:27:52
Post Tools
Raoh wrote on 12/16/08 at 11:18:35:
Hi everyone.
I was in a dillema which book to buy about the spanish, since i thought it would be about time to start playing the ruy lopez as black.
I didn't know if to buy Marin's book about the chigorin, or another book about the zaitsev.
At the end i bought marin's book, but then i saw that the two main variations covered are lines which aren't practicly played any more.

I'm just wondering if the rubinstein an "petrosian" variations are still playable or should i chose another defence against the main line ruy?

Posibly the chigorin with 12.cxd instead of Nc6 and Bd7?

Thanks for the help

If you work with Marins book you get enough confidence to play the suggested variations. I think its not important if they are played at high level at the moment or not. If you understand the Closed Ruy Variations you can play them with either colour - you get complex positions which offer various plans and manouvres, nearly all pieces and pawns are still on board. The better you know this positions the better is your chance to succeed against your opponent. You will certainly not be outprepared - as I asume you are not playing on a level +2600  Wink

IP Logged

Raoh
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Mihael Marin's Spanish
12/16/08 at 11:18:35
Post Tools
Hi everyone.
I was in a dillema which book to buy about the spanish, since i thought it would be about time to start playing the ruy lopez as black.
I didn't know if to buy Marin's book about the chigorin, or another book about the zaitsev.
At the end i bought marin's book, but then i saw that the two main variations covered are lines which aren't practicly played any more.

I'm just wondering if the rubinstein an "petrosian" variations are still playable or should i chose another defence against the main line ruy?

Posibly the chigorin with 12.cxd instead of Nc6 and Bd7?

Thanks for the help

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo